2018 Let's Get Growing!

ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
Who's with me?  :)  I realize we have a couple of days to go yet but there's no time like the present to set a new goal!

This is a fun challenge, no pressure at all. My hair is not quite shoulder length and I am looking to possibly gain six inches of growth by January 2019. The average rate of growth is half an inch a month from what I have read, which would then average six inches in twelve months. We all vary when it comes to hair growth, some of us grow more in the summer and less in the winter. Many factors come in to play, but let's see where we end up in a years time.

My goal is to trim if needed, but no big cuts. I want to maintain my layers as I grow which should keep things interesting. ;)

How about you? What is your plan?

Type: 2c
Density: medium
Porosity: high
Thickness: fine

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,831Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Love it!  I have this weird thing where the back of my head, at the nape, does not grow. Just DOES NOT GROW. So I've had my guy cut in an inverted bob so I can at least preserve my growth at the front of my head. So strange. 

But yes, thanks for creating this thread so we can encourage each other and offers tips etc!  Great idea, Ella!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    Thanks @Gretchen! I think the inverted bob is a great cut, even considered getting one myself but opted for an asymmetrical pixie instead. 

I do know that the longer my hair grows the less curl I will have, which means that I am on the search for a very light weight conditioner that is super moisturizing. If anyone has any recommendations please feel free to post them here. :)

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm in. I've been growing out my hair (with a few trims) since my last bc (pixiefied!) in the Spring of 2016 when I did my big crosscountry move. It's currently just past my shoulders (wet & combed out) but shrinks to shoulder length when dry. I'd like to get to and maintain bsl (with the shrinkage). It's a tough go with fine hair, as one must be vigilant to prevent breakage. Throw in the high porosity factor, and it's a double whammy!

Currently, I'm contemplating whether or not to go with some layers to help the curls maintain, or stay with all one length??? Decisions, decisions... 
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 308Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm in as well. I cut my hair off at the end of 2016. I went from a long mid-back length to right at bra strap length. I grew it back over 2017 so I'm hoping to finally get waist in 2018.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,715Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    My first goal is to NOT do my annual end of the year chop because I get tired of dealing with tangles and such and then I'm mad because I chopped it. haha. My hair grows very slowly so I would be happy to add 4 inches over the next year. Currently my longest layer is below bra band length when wet. I just cut a few face framing layers but the rest is pretty much one length cut into a slight V shape if looking at it from the back.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    This is great! Many thanks to all of you for joining me on my way to much longer hair. :)

I see that all of you have the length/lengths that I hope to achieve in the future.  It won't happen in one year for me, but this won't stop me from trying to get considerably more length than I have right now. ;)

What I thought was almost shoulder length for me is not the case it seems. I was googling hair length charts and found out that just below neck is more accurate. This just makes me more determined, lol! 

@jeepcurlygurl, as I have said before, your current length is my goal. Any longer and I am not sure my hair would like as nice as your hair due to my fine and floaty hair type. You are my inspiration nonetheless!  :)

@Glamourstruckk, your curls are beautiful. Wow, waist by 2018, here's hoping we all reach our goals! :)

@BeinDeb, I understand hair shrinkage, it eats up what little length I have right now. About the decision to add layers or not to add layers, I wavered back and forth on this also. In the end I opted for layers, if only to give my fine waves some "life" and definition. Let us know what you decide. ;)

I decided to put a chart here just because it is fun! This is the chart that helped me determine just how short my own hair is.  ;) 

• boldilocksboldilocks Posts: 39Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Hi @ellaj! I'm open to starting out on this ride with you. Though I like my length just as it is, I am curious, and I do admire the curly flowing locks. I'm just not convinced that my face or frame can carry the proportional weight. I have a lot of hair. But I will see what happens. I think its all in the cut. I'd continue to need well-placed layers for sure and a really good cut to distribute the bulk. According to your chart, I'm an SL when wet. It springs up a lot when dry - a few inches.
    Formerly Dandilocks; embracing the bold in 2018
    Type: 2c-3a gray natural/ Thickness: coarse, some medium/ Density: high/ Porosity: normal/ Elasticity: good/ Style: deva cut/ Products: Deva One Condition (co-wash, conditioner, leave-in), CHS Curl Keeper/
    Hair Goals: less frizz, better clumping, better 2-3 day hair, more shine

So happy you have joined us, @boldilocks

I agree with you, a good cut can make all the difference. Layers work pretty good with my hair type so far. My last cut helped to even out an asymmetrical pixie. The stylist added in some layers and so far so good. 

Give it a go, the challenge is mostly for fun.  :) 

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,715Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @ellaj Good chart. Other than it always drives me nuts when they call a bra band a bra strap, which it is not. Persnickety old lady alert. haha.

--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • HappyCurlzHappyCurlz Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm in as well!  Thanks for starting this @ellaj Mine is below shoulder blade and I'm going for as much as I can grow.  @jeepcurlygurl have you ever posted how you cut your own hair?
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 1,083Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm in too. :) My hair is a few inches below my ears.  I have layers and am going to keep them.  I just want to see how long I can get my hair and still have it look nice.  My nape hair is super fine though, so I'm not sure how the back is going to look when it grows out.  Let's see...
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

• StephC79StephC79 Posts: 99Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Count me in! I have neck length hair going by that chart but lots of layers and the front of my hair is about cheekbone length. I am desperate to grow it out a bit this year. I stopped straightening my hair three years ago but have had it no longer than just above shoulder length because I can't help myself from DIY cutting it and then having to go to the hairdresser to fix it, usually resulting in a huge chop. I am almost six months since my last cut so I need a trim and some shape put in but I am determined to lose as little length as possible.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
    Thanks for joining us @HappyCurlz, @curry curls and @StephC79

@HappyCurlz, you are very welcome. I have been wanting much longer hair but haven't been too successful in making it happen. My thought when making this discussion was to try and coax others to join me, strength in numbers! 

@curry curls, we have similarities, my hair is below my ears and I am wanting to keep my layers. My entire head of hair is fine, so I am hoping that longer will look nice. It will be fun to see what transpires.

@StephC79, DIY haircuts can often to lead to a trip to the salon, ask me how I know? :/

You have already gone six months, this is great. A shape up and a trim will be a good start, I've just done the same. Luckily my stylist listened and didn't give me a chop, like you said this can often happen.

I found another growth chart. This one measures in inches rather than by body markers. I just need to figure out what my length is. Has anyone measured this way? How did you take the measurement? 

• GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 308Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ellaj said:
    I found another growth chart. This one measures in inches rather than by body markers. I just need to figure out what my length is. Has anyone measured this way? How did you take the measurement? 

On another forum I’m a part of, they measure from the front hairline back with a tape measure. My guess is that is how they got the starting 10” measurement for this chart. I laugh at the curly one because curly hair extends past it’s dried length. lol

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
    edited January 2018
    I'm in as well!  Thanks for starting this @ellaj Mine is below shoulder blade and I'm going for as much as I can grow.  @jeepcurlygurl have you ever posted how you cut your own hair?
    I haven't been in a salon since I was 18 and had a disaster of a pre-senior pic "trim". So I've been cutting my own hair for over 40 years.  I've done cuts from long to short and everything in between. I usually cut it dry, curl by curl, via the Curly Girl method. But sometimes if I just want a quick trim or some layers I cut it wet with all my hair on top of my head in a ponytail. 
    There are lots of videos using both methods on youtube. There is also good instruction in the 2nd Curly Girl book (which includes a cd).
    I just cut some face framing curls the other day.
    ellaj said:

On another forum I’m a part of, they measure from the front hairline back with a tape measure. My guess is that is how they got the starting 10” measurement for this chart. I laugh at the curly one because curly hair extends past it’s dried length. lol
    Thank-you, @Glamourstruckk! I will need some help with tape measure for sure.  ;)

I managed to find a willing family member to help me measure my hair. :)

It turns out that my hair is 16 3/4 inches long. The chart I posted must be off, though. My hair is not as long as the chart shows for 16 inches. I think the best way to measure is to use body markers. ;)

@Glamourstruckk did say "I laugh at the curly one because curly hair extends past it’s dried length. lol" 

My beginning length photo. It is so hard to get a photo of the back of your own head, so a side one will have to do. The layers are blending well from what I can tell.

The lighting makes my hair look so dark in this photo, if only! I like my graying hair, but I loved the hair color I was born with.

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,354Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    love your hair!   it might be closer to 3a???   i can't see any gray.  and i am with you, love my gray but reallly loved my darkest brown.   

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    rbb said:
    love your hair!   it might be closer to 3a???   i can't see any gray.  and i am with you, love my gray but reallly loved my darkest brown.   
    Thanks, @rbb! I struggle so much with my hair type. When I first joined and took the quiz 3a is what I went with. Some days it is almost straight looking???? The lighting is playing tricks, let me see if I can get a photo in different lighting.

Here you go, my reality. This is taken at the west window of the office, amazing what lighting will do. 

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,354Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    wow!  that is really pretty, more like silver i think. or in that light, anyway.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Love your hair @ellaj !
    rbb said:
    wow!  that is really pretty, more like silver i think. or in that light, anyway.
    Thanks again, @rbb<3

Love your hair @ellaj !
    Thank-you, @jeepcurlygurl:)

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @ellaj Your hair is gorgeous!
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    bomega said:
    @ellaj Your hair is gorgeous!
    Thank-you, @bomega!   :)

I am treating my hair to a coconut oil, deep condition this morning. Wanted to check in and say that I can visibly see a bit growth. My last cut to even out the asymmetrical pixie, as well as adding layers was on December 11th.

So far to go yet, but progress none-the-less. 

edited January 2018
    Finally a better length shot, albeit in black and white. My helper is a camera buff and right now black and white photography is the "big thing."  ;)  I will take what I can get. The important thing is that I have an actual length shot to go by while I grow.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file