How accurate is the texture quiz?

MonipenMonipen Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
So I've taken the texture quiz on this website twice and once on another website. The ironic thing is that I every time get the result high porosity but I've also done some testing myself as I've seen on YouTube. For example the put a hair in a glass of water. It was 4 hours later and my hairs (it was maybve 3 hairs) were still sitting on the surface of the water. They didn't sink at all. I've even tried this twice. I also tried the spray water on my dry hair to see what would happen to the drops. The bigger drops just slided right off onto my clothes. The smaller ones where just sitting on top of my hair 5 minutes later until I wiped them off myself. So if I've understood this correctly this would mean I'm low porosity. So I'm just confused because of the result of the quizes. Anyone else had the same experience? So what am I then?

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Maybe. But I've also heard the float test is inaccurate. I realize that's not much help...sorry. To me, the primary purpose of knowing porosity it to figure out if you need to avoid or use protein. Do you know how your hair reacts to products with protein? My ow porosity hair goes crunchy and straight-ish even with small, usually tolerable proteins, like silk protein.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • MonipenMonipen Posts: 64Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hmm I have no idea about protein. I've honestly never before looked at the ingredients of hair products that I used, so if they've had protein in them I wouldn't know. I've been using the L'Oreal Paris Elvive Smooth Intense Anti-Frizz schampoo and conditioner with Argan Oil and Thermo Protect it says. I also use the L'Oreal Oil Serum for extra protection against the heat of the flat-iron. As for deep conditioning I have the Garnier Ultimate Blends Olive Oil mask, the only thing is I have to admit I don't use it very often, I just simply forget. My hair seemed to love these Elvive products anyway. They've been excellent for straightening my hair. I've been straightening my hair for 17 years. But I've decided to go back to my natural curls, and I'm just trying to do a little research as to which products would be best for me.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    The texture quiz gave me wrong results.  The water float test is highly unreliable, and I think a lot of the tests out there are too unreliable to be good for anything.  Like the dry time test - my hair will dry anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours, depending on what I put in my hair, whether I plop or wrap a towel around my head or not, whether I'm touching my hair or not.  The density of your hair will also effect the dry time, as will different weather conditions.  Totally unreliable.

I've found the best test is how products act in your hair.  Do products tend to sink in and disappear into your hair?  If your hair tends to absorb products, then it's porous.  If you can put a tiny bit of cream or conditioner in your hair and it feels like it just slides all around and there's no need for more, then it's nonporous. 

My hair is nonporous near the roots, and somewhat more porous towards the ends.  This was confirmed by a hair analysis.  I could tell even before that by the fact that the top of my hair needs very little conditioner, but my ends always need a bit more conditioner.  And I think there's some difference between the right and left sides of my head.  My left side is always drier. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Thank you for that information. I guess since I do not own or know anyone who has a microscope  :D  I will not know my hair porosity straight away, but I will I guess just have to be patient and see how different hair products work for me. 
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    It's been years since I took the texture quiz here so I just took it again and I think it's pretty accurate for me.  I'm sure it's not as accurate as a professional analysis but it can at least give you an idea of your hair type.
    About 4-5 years ago I had a hair analysis done at 2 places and they pretty much matched each other exactly. The places I used were GoosefootPrints and Live Curly Live Free. Both were very detailed and informative.

@Gretchen I'm not sure if it was mentioned here anywhere but Tiffany who owned Live Curly Live Free, and was active here, had a very bad stroke last year and I think she had to close her salon and as far as I know is still recovering so I don't think anyone can get hair analyzed from her. I'm not sure if GoosefootPrints is still around or not.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi Monipen and welcome!

Maybe I can help via explaining how my mane behaves, as I have naturally (thank you ancestors - Ha!) high porosity hair.

If I run my fingers lightly toward the roots on a single strand of hair, there's little bumpies all the way up. It's not smooth.

When I get into the shower, my hair is completely soaked in 3 seconds flat. If I let it air dry without any products, it's dry in an hour. With products, depending on how heavy handed I was with them, it's air dried in 2-3 hours. 

Just as Guide65 mentioned, my hair literally eats product. It'll suck up nearly anything you put on it! For example, if I pre-poo with coconut oil the day before I wash (I use enough to where it looks stringy oily...as if I hadn't washed in months), the next morning, my hair neither looks nor feels oily.

As my hair is so porous, it demands protein to maintain the bounce in the curls. While any kind of protein will work, keratin is its favorite. Those so-called "smoothing and staightening" shampoos & conditioners? Keratin is usually listed in the 1st five ingredients. They make my curls bounce with joy!

Keep in mind that I am on the far end of the spectrum. I imagine truly low porosity hair behaves exactly the opposite. Most people are probably somewhere in-between.
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    To add to the inaccuracy of porosity tests, if you use a lot of oils, silicones, and butters your hair can seem to be low porosity because it is coated. I see a lot of this going on with my fellow type 4 naturals. Someone with seemingly low porosity hair may not truly have this type due to products.

As for the test on here. It gives me high porosity and 3c. Most folks who comment on my hair type video seem to agree that my hair is 4b. lol. I also think I have normal porosity. 

It's fun to take anyhow!

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It's been years since I took the texture quiz here so I just took it again and I think it's pretty accurate for me.  I'm sure it's not as accurate as a professional analysis but it can at least give you an idea of your hair type.
    About 4-5 years ago I had a hair analysis done at 2 places and they pretty much matched each other exactly. The places I used were GoosefootPrints and Live Curly Live Free. Both were very detailed and informative.

@Gretchen I'm not sure if it was mentioned here anywhere but Tiffany who owned Live Curly Live Free, and was active here, had a very bad stroke last year and I think she had to close her salon and as far as I know is still recovering so I don't think anyone can get hair analyzed from her. I'm not sure if GoosefootPrints is still around or not.
    That's too bad about Tiffany. I loved her blog when I got started. I see she released a book: Live Curly Live Free. I'm going to put in a request to my library to get it.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Thank you all for the different suggestions. Well if I take one hair and run two fingers up and down it feels smooth. When I take a shower I think my hair gets wet straight away, on the other hand it does take hours for it to dry, even without any particular products. Aren't those two things are a bit contradicting?

Although I've never chemically straightened my hair in my entire life. I have tried to color my hair black twice I believe, this was a really long time ago though, at least 5 years ago. It was not a strong kind of permanent color, I didn't want that, I just wanted the one you do yourself at home and that washes out after a couple of times. The interesting thing is that even though I did exactly as the package said the color didn't really want to stick to my hair. It didn't really turn as black as I wanted it too. Could that be an indication?

But as one of the last ones that posted said: silicones could affect the result. And this might make sense because I use lots of silicone and have been doing it for years as anti-frizz and for straightening my hair.

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    adding to the above info, here is another helpful link on texture and porosity"
    http://curljunkie.blogspot.com/2010/02/my-2-cents-on-proteintextureporositymoi.html

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Goosefootprints I believe is still around. I got my analysis from her last year and it fits exactly with the behaviour of my hair with products etc. 
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • DepthsOfMySoulDepthsOfMySoul Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited January 2018
    @Guide 55 Interesting.  I think my hair is like that as well, the majority of it at least but not the crown. 

My roots are always moisturized and holds it for a while whereas my ends and crown tend to dry out faster. 

OP The quiz is as accurate as one is with their answers. 

I didn't know how to answer a few questions at first but I am getting a little better. 

Sorry I can't help much. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file