I literally have the ugliest hair in the world please help

frustrated101frustrated101 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
My number one insecurity has always been my hair. I'm not exaggerating when I say I've never seen anyone who has hair worse than mine. Even when I watch YouTube videos about "unruly out of control hair", it's not as bad as mine. It's coarse, frizzy, poofy, and out of control. Almost like triangle hair with not much volume on the top. I'm 25 and still don't know how to style it. I love that there is this amazing curly hair movement going on where curly haired girls are embracing their curls, but mine is different. It's curly but not beautiful curly. It's just ugly. I've tried everything to tame it and make it look DECENT. Not even good I just want it to look decent. Nothing works so I usually resort to messy buns to at least have it out of my face.

I trim it often, I don't shampoo often, I never use heat styling products (so nothing that damaged my hair), I've used hair masks and deep conditioning, I don't brush it when it's dry. I've looked up videos on YouTube for curly hair routines (leave in conditioners, coconut oil, serums) and it just doesn't work for my hair. No matter what, it poofs up at the ends OR ends up looking too oily.

I've even been to a salon before because I thought a professional could help and she told me my hair is just damaged and if I trim it regularly over the course of a year, new undamaged hair would come in. I did that, but my hair hasn't changed.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Everyone always comments about how crazy my hair is and it really does upset me. Wondering if anyone could offer me some advice.

I'm not African American so I don't have natural hair and have never gotten a relaxer-- if that matters.

Answers

• ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @frustrated101, I am so sorry that you feel this way about your hair but I do understand your frustration. Is it possible for you to post a photo of your hair?  There are many  members here with plenty of wisdom and experience and they may be able to offer up some advice to you. Seeing your hair would help a great deal.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @frustrated101 : I so sorry you feel this way. And I'm sorry the people around you are such jerks. Really they are out of line. Finally, that hair dresser was just incompetent. If you have never had any chemical processes to your hair and your rarely heat style your hair is not irreversibly damaged. That hair dresser was just curl-ignorant, and should have known better.

For starters, can you tell us your hair properties? There is a guide in the newbie threads about how to determine that. You said your hair is coarse, but what about your porosity (probably low porosity, but best to check it out) and density?

Can you also share more about what shampoo/conditioning/styling products you are using now and have in the past, and possibly how that worked out?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Novice
    Your hair sounds similar to mine.  It took me a long time to determine some good products and techniques for my hair.  There are quite a few ingredients that my hair really hates.  And unfortunately those ingredients are in everything.  It could something similar for you.  Once I quit using the offending ingredients my curls became much more manageable.  I stay away from coconut oil, aloe, hydrolyzed wheat protein, and most other proteins for that matter.  

If you give more information about your hair there are a lot of people that could probably help.  
  • frustrated101frustrated101 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    @ellaj I can PM you-or anyone else-a picture of my hair. I just don't want to post it in a public forum, but let me know and I'll send you a message! 

@bomega coarse, low porosity, type 2C, medium density. There's also a lot of breakage and one section of my hair is shorter than the others (I'm concerned it stopped growing..). Usually I shampoo maybe once every 3 weeks or month just because I feel like my hair needs all the moisture it can get. I condition almost every morning with head and shoulders for thick/frizzy hair. Sometimes I brush my hair in the shower so I won't have to when it's dry. I usually wrap it in a t-shirt after I shower instead of using a towel.

In the past, I have put coconut oil in my hair, braided it, and slept with it wrapped in a scarf. In the morning, it looks fine for about an hour and then it slowly starts poofing up, mainly at the top.

Recently, I showered in the morning, dried with a t-shirt, added leave in conditioner and then took each individual strand and applied coconut oil. And then at the end, I used curly sexy hair curling creme. It definitely held my curls more, but it also felt too oily and flat on the top. 

I also have a lot of small strands on the top of my head that stick up every time I use products to define my curls. It just makes it look messy. If I'm able to define the curls really well at the bottom of my hair, I usually have to hide the top part with a scarf

I can PM you a picture of my hair as well so that you can get a better idea if you want! 

@curllsue1 Okay, interesting, I wonder if that's whats going on with my hair too. What do you use for your hair now? 
    edited December 2017
    @ellaj I can PM you-or anyone else-a picture of my hair. I just don't want to post it in a public forum, but let me know and I'll send you a message! 

@bomega coarse, low porosity, type 2C, medium density. There's also a lot of breakage and one section of my hair is shorter than the others (I'm concerned it stopped growing..). Usually I shampoo maybe once every 3 weeks or month just because I feel like my hair needs all the moisture it can get. I condition almost every morning with head and shoulders for thick/frizzy hair. Sometimes I brush my hair in the shower so I won't have to when it's dry. I usually wrap it in a t-shirt after I shower instead of using a towel.

In the past, I have put coconut oil in my hair, braided it, and slept with it wrapped in a scarf. In the morning, it looks fine for about an hour and then it slowly starts poofing up, mainly at the top.

Recently, I showered in the morning, dried with a t-shirt, added leave in conditioner and then took each individual strand and applied coconut oil. And then at the end, I used curly sexy hair curling creme. It definitely held my curls more, but it also felt too oily and flat on the top. 

I also have a lot of small strands on the top of my head that stick up every time I use products to define my curls. It just makes it look messy. If I'm able to define the curls really well at the bottom of my hair, I usually have to hide the top part with a scarf

I can PM you a picture of my hair as well so that you can get a better idea if you want! 

@curllsue1 Okay, interesting, I wonder if that's whats going on with my hair too. What do you use for your hair now? 
    Hi @frustrated101 : Thanks for the info - we can help you out! The first thing to remember is that it's just hair. Its not there to make you miserable and frustrated (although all those jerky people saying jerky things would have you think so). It can make you feel really good about yourself, but you just have to figure out what it needs to be happy. Which is why you are here! :)

I think your routine needs some work. I'm not sure which Head and Shoulders conditioner you are co-washing with, because their website doesn't list that specific description. However, I checked a few of the conditioners and the co-wash and they all have silicone (dimethicone) in them. When following the CG-Method, it is recommended to avoid non-water soluable silicones because they block all moisture from reaching the hair shaft. In addition that Curly Sexy Hair curl cream also has dimethicone in it (although lower on the list), so it's just piling it on. Now, the way to deal with that would be to use a sulfate shampoo, which over time is also drying to the hair, and this is the other reason to avoid silicones. But in your case, since you are co-washing, the silicone is building up, causing dryness, leading to damage and breakage.

Take a look at this article on the Sciency Hair Blog for shampoos and conditioners/co-washes for addressing dandruff and see if you can pick up a conditioner/co-wash that is silicone free that might work for you. You will also need a sulfate shampoo to doesn't have silicone in it and a deep treatment. The most inexpensive sulfate shampoo is VO5 Normal Shampoo, but any sulfate (without cones'!) will do, if you have one lying around. This Camille Rose Naturals Algae Deep Treatment could work for your deep treatment. If you want to shop around, just check the ingredients list. Wash your hair with the sulfate shampoo, do the deep treatment as directed, then put these aside to use once per month.

Looking at your styling routine, good for you for learning about the LOC technique, which I think is helpful for coarse hair. But, first take a look at your leave-in conditioner and make sure it doesn't have any non-water soluable silicones. Here is the Sciency Hair Blog article on how to identify these. You will need to find a leave-in conditioner and a curl creme that is suitable.

There are a couple other issues to look into, in particular what is the weather like where you live (especially since it is winter) and do you know if you hair can handle protein. Low porosity hair tends to not like protein, but in your case it might help right now while you are getting over the damage from dryness. Do you have an experience that says one way or the other?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

edited December 2017
    I just reread what you wrote and a couple more thoughts.
    1) Stop brushing your hair. If you need a tool for detangling get a wide-tooth comb. I saw one at the dollar store near me, so you don't need anything expensive.

2) Are you applying your products or scrunching upside-down? I found that although this is popular with people who follow the CG-Method, for me it seems to give me those sticking up hairs on top too. I just apply all my products and towel dry my hair right-side up. Upside down scrunching is to try to get volume. I found it gave me volume down low at the expense of lift close to my scalp. Triangle hair. Not what I want.

3) You are using coconut oil for your LOC. While coconut oil is generally fine for the hair, it is more a penetrating oil, and I think for LOC the oil is to seal, so CO is not the best choice. Try seseme oil, argan oil - jojoba oil is completely coating. If you buy something in the hair care aisle (rather than the grocery aisle) check the ingredients and make sure it isn't blended with a silicone. Another article on the Sciency Hair blog about oil: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html
    (Can you tell I love her blog? :D)

4) You said you had a shorter section. I doubt it is slowing in growth. You said you have medium density hair, and I'm assuming you don't have a shedding problem? That most of your issues are related to dryness, damage and breakage? It doesn't sound like you have a growth problem. I suspect that short section is either cause by that hair dresser putting in a bad layer (it has happened to us all) or possible just a chunk of breakage that happened in an unlucky way due to a bad experiment, given all the cones you are still using.

4) I don't think we can use PM as new users. I think you have to pass some advanced anniversary for that. I can understand you don't want to post a photo due to privacy concerns. But if you did (perhaps with your face blocked out or from the back, I'm sure we would all tell you your hair doesn't look as bad as you think. It almost never does, but society's messages, jerk people, or some no-skills hair dresser will have us think so for their own purposes, but you don't have to buy into it.

• ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso

I understand, @frustrated101. It appears that it may not be necessary, @bomega has offered up some great advice. 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• frustrated101frustrated101 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    bomega said:
    I just reread what you wrote and a couple more thoughts.
    1) Stop brushing your hair. If you need a tool for detangling get a wide-tooth comb. I saw one at the dollar store near me, so you don't need anything expensive.

2) Are you applying your products or scrunching upside-down? I found that although this is popular with people who follow the CG-Method, for me it seems to give me those sticking up hairs on top too. I just apply all my products and towel dry my hair right-side up. Upside down scrunching is to try to get volume. I found it gave me volume down low at the expense of lift close to my scalp. Triangle hair. Not what I want.

3) You are using coconut oil for your LOC. While coconut oil is generally fine for the hair, it is more a penetrating oil, and I think for LOC the oil is to seal, so CO is not the best choice. Try seseme oil, argan oil - jojoba oil is completely coating. If you buy something in the hair care aisle (rather than the grocery aisle) check the ingredients and make sure it isn't blended with a silicone. Another article on the Sciency Hair blog about oil: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html
    (Can you tell I love her blog? :D)

4) You said you had a shorter section. I doubt it is slowing in growth. You said you have medium density hair, and I'm assuming you don't have a shedding problem? That most of your issues are related to dryness, damage and breakage? It doesn't sound like you have a growth problem. I suspect that short section is either cause by that hair dresser putting in a bad layer (it has happened to us all) or possible just a chunk of breakage that happened in an unlucky way due to a bad experiment, given all the cones you are still using.

4) I don't think we can use PM as new users. I think you have to pass some advanced anniversary for that. I can understand you don't want to post a photo due to privacy concerns. But if you did (perhaps with your face blocked out or from the back, I'm sure we would all tell you your hair doesn't look as bad as you think. It almost never does, but society's messages, jerk people, or some no-skills hair dresser will have us think so for their own purposes, but you don't have to buy into it.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to type that all out! I'll definitely look into purchasing new silicone free products and a sulfate shampoo. I'm not sure how my hair would react to protein, but I actually have a question for you about that. I've lately been considering getting a keratin hair treatment. What are your thoughts on that? I know they use a lot of chemicals and I'd hate to do anything that would further damage my hair, but I've read that it has helped some ladies with coarse and frizzy hair.

I'm going to research more and make these changes to my hair routine and update you on if my hair improved or not. Honestly, you've been a ton of help, I really do appreciate your feedback!

Thank you so much for taking the time to type that all out! I'll definitely look into purchasing new silicone free products and a sulfate shampoo. I'm not sure how my hair would react to protein, but I actually have a question for you about that. I've lately been considering getting a keratin hair treatment. What are your thoughts on that? I know they use a lot of chemicals and I'd hate to do anything that would further damage my hair, but I've read that it has helped some ladies with coarse and frizzy hair.

I'm going to research more and make these changes to my hair routine and update you on if my hair improved or not. Honestly, you've been a ton of help, I really do appreciate your feedback!
    I am not for keratin treatments. I believe the chemicals they use for this are formaldehyde...ammonia? Doesn't seem like a good idea. In addition, it really is a process that is about damaging your hair. I know people do it and are happy with it, and there are people who do it who are devastated. I personally think everyone should embrace their hair as it is and work with it.

Your hair should do well on the classic Curly Girl Method. Cowashing, LOC for styling, low-poo/deep treatment weekly-to-monthly. Clarify monthly. Or there abouts. I think once you get the silicones out, and get on a schedule with products that are healing and healthy for your hair, you will be much happier with it.

If you are looking for product ideas, look around Curltalk and youtube.  I think the Polished Curl and Rockyn Curls had blogs with a lot of info. Live Curly Live Free was another one I started with. Back when my hair didn't mind protein, I used the Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Shampoo, Conditioner, and Styling Milk. The Coconut Hibiscus line is glycerin-free and has silk protein in it, which is usually a tolerable protein. It made my hair so manageable when I used it, and it might help your damaged hair. This line also has a Curl Cream you can use for your LOC. Try 100% Argan Oil or Baobab Oil in your LOC to see if you hair likes those better.

I'm glad I could help. I would love to hear about your results either way it goes.

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Keep us posted, @frustrated101 !  These ladies have provided some excellent advice that should help you.... it would be really awesome if you could post a photo (maybe with your face blacked out?) so we can all help!   

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Wonderful answer @BeinDeb

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Celadon2Celadon2 Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte

Best tip I ever got was ask people whose hair you like which stylist they go to. I found a great stylist that way, but now I do my own everything thanks to the no comb method.

Brushing and combing causes frizz and pouffing.  Everything you see in hair commercials is made for straight hair, not curly.  For example we should never use towels, which cause frizz (straight hair folks crave "body" which they get by pouffing their hair with flat-tined combs and terry cloth towels.)   Check out Tightly Curlys before and after vid of what happens when you use a comb versus not combing; the combed side pouffs and pouffs!  Combs are the worst, especially Goody; those flat tines are made to puff up pin straight hair.

Our curls need less frizz, so use old tee shirts to blot your hair.  Straight hair folks use shampoo to dry out their hair and create "body". Body to use means pouf and frizz.  Never shampoo, just run water through thoroughly, blot with a tee shirt and add a TON of your favorite conditioner root to tip, smoothing it downward.  

Stop trimming so often, brush and comb less to avoid breakage, use your fingers to style.  Check out the no comb curly vids on  youtube and here is the Tightly Curly blog address, my hair has grown so much since I stopped ripping it out with a comb. Oh and the comb I use is the Conair Detangler Shower Comb which is about 4$ at target, it has rounded tines that are wide apart to cause less pouf and damage, I apologize if I go on about this blog but it has changed my life, I too used to think I had the ugliest hair and I got the pics to prove it!  Now I am able to rock my own curls!

http://www.tightlycurly.com/technique/curlyprimer/

Hi @frustrated101 : How is it going with your routine? Hope you are hanging in there.

@bomega Hey! So I went ahead and purchased all of Shea Moisture's products (cowash, conditioner, leave in conditioner, and their curling "smoothie". I've also purchased Moroccan argan oil. I washed all the silicones out of my hair with a Suave sulfate shampoo and then started to do the LOC method. Overall, I do feel like my hair has improved and that my curls are more defined, so thank you! But it's still not where I want it to be -- this could be just my hair though and something I need to just accept myself for. I haven't figured it out yet though and I'm still experimenting with how much product to put in my hair. There seems to be a fine line. Some days, I feel like I have way too much product and it looks too oily and other days, I feel like there's not enough and my hair starts to poof up.

My hair is currently short (before I posted on this forum, I was frustrated with my damaged hair and chopped it all off), so I'm hoping once it gets a bit longer, it will look better. 

Most days, I feel like my hair ends up poofing and becomes more detangled towards the end of the day, but like I said above, this could be because I'm not putting in enough product. I think I'm going to try to apply the product by curl bunch instead of rubbing it between my hands and applying it onto my hair at once. Maybe that will help define them even more and prevent the poofiness towards the end of the day.

I've definitely made progress though. I'll keep you updated! 
    @Gretchen @Celadon2 @BeinDeb Thank you all for your replies! All good advice :) Yours made me laugh @BeinDeb
    Hi @frustrated101 : Good for you for trying to work with your hair! A thought: Did you do a moisturizing deep treatment after you clarified? If you are still experiencing dryness, this might help. Camille Rose Natural Algae Treatment and Curl Junkie Curl Rehab are a couple that members seem to like. The CRN Algae Treatment might be available at your Target, but you will have to order the Curl Junkie either from the naturallycurly.com or curljunkie.com store.

You might want to take a look at some youtube videos for application techiques. I really liked Rockyn Curls youtube videos because they weren't super slick and you could really see how long something was going to take and where the hitches might be. She actually has very different hair type than mine, but she offers alternatives for different hair types where relevant. (This is true of her blog as well.)

Anyway, definitely keep us posted about how its going. :)

@bomega Yes, after I used the clarifying shampoo, I deep conditioned with a keratin/argan oil treatment. I made sure that the treatment itself didn't have any harsh chemicals, silicones/sulfates and it checked out.

I'm thinking maybe my hair is still damaged from the long lasting silicone build up? I'm hoping as my hair grows out, it'll be less dry since now I'm caring for it more properly. Maybe the silk protein in the Shea Moisture products will also help my hair. 

I've been letting my hair air dry too -- but maybe I should invest in a diffuser? Do you think that would help?

And okay, I'll check that youtube channel out! I might experiment with other products as well and see what my hair likes best. 

So, deep treatment with a protein product may not be the best for low porosity hair, especially coarse low porosity hair, and especially since you have been experiencing dryness. The Sciency Hair Blog has a great article about this: Moisturizing Low Porosity Hair. Be ready to read...this article seriously goes into the details. In addition, she has some product recs at the end, and consider them a suggestion. For example, she lists Giovanni Magnetic Conditioner as a good conditioner without cationic conditioning ingredients, but this one has milk protein in it. I used this line successfully for years, but the SM Coconut Hibiscus performed better when I finally found it, and this one does have cationic agents (BTC). But then again, if/when you want to experiment, it might be worth a try. After its been maybe a month (since you last clarified), try clarifying again, and DT with something more conditioning like Curl Junkie Curl Rehab or Camille Rose Naturals Algae Treatment. Both of these are protein free. Or maybe use one of the cationic agent free conditioners listed in the article as a DT.

Also, double check the Moroccan Argan Oil product you are using. Manufacturers are notoriously mixing argan oil with silicones, especially dimethicone and cylclopentexane, often with argan oil as the third or later ingredient (I really have no idea why argan oil is getting this treatment over other oils.)

Diffusing can help in that it will dry your hair faster, and then less at risk of drying frizzy. (It is generally best not to touch the hair, but it is especially important to not touch it will it is drying if you air dry.) But it is a trade-off because heat can be drying...

• An_GAn_G Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hi! I had pieces that stuck out at the top of my hair too and I found it it was broken off. May I suggest you save some money and go get a Deva haircut and style.They will show you how to style it and what products are best for your hair. I never use a soapy shampoo on my hair. I always use a conditioning shampoo that does not lather which cuts down on a lot of frizz. A bad hair day can ruin your whole day. Sorry you are going through this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file