My hair doesn't curl in the back?

bekal0lbekal0l Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
I've been transitioning on and off for about a year.
Hair Journey: 
Last year around September I started transitioning from my daily routine of straightening everyday to braiding and letting my curls free. Late November, I decided to use bleach on the ends of my hair and get ombre/balayage. My curls worked fine with it, I just added some more moisture into my routine. In around April of this year, my hair started losing the curls. I switched shampoo and conditioner around that time, so I assume that the new shampoo and conditioner combo didn't work with my hair. In August of this year, I dyed my hair back to my original color. My hair went from having a few curls to being a wavy mess. Now, in December, I'm finally getting some of my curls back after moisturizing like crazy. My front curls beautifully and even tighter than before, but my back doesn't curl.

So what I'm wanting to know is: what am I doing wrong? 
I'm open to trying new products or switching my routine too. 

Answers

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    Duplicate.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    Hi @bekal0l
    Welcome to nc.com. Coloring your hair may have damaged it. But its also possible you have some product build up. What are the products you are using (including that one that didn't work out)? Also, do you know your hair properties (hair width, porosity, density). There is info in the newbie threads to figure this out.

To remove product buildup start by getting a clarifying shampoo. An inexpensive sulfate is ok for this (I use VO5 Normal shampoo for less than $1 at Walmart). You can also use one that has C14-15 Olefin sulfonate which is considered more gentle than a sulfate. Kinky Curly Come Clean and Trader Joe Tea Tree Tingle have this. After you clarify you must follow with a deep treatment (moisturizing). Leave in for 20-30 minutes, ideal under heat.

However, if you are dealing with damage, your hair may benefit from a protein treatment. I understand a protein treatment should be followed by a moisturizing treatment, so perhaps sandwich it in between sulfate clarifying and deep treatment? It might be enough to finish off the protein treatment with a post-treatment coconut oil (then wash that out in the morning.) There is a thread currently with people discussing their favorite protein treatment.

ETA: Here is that thread.

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file