Mixed lo and high po

SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I used to colour my hair and now I am growing it out. The problem is that I now have about a half foot of hair that is very lo po (the regrowth) and a foot that is high po. The products I use are geared towards the high porosity section which absolutely does not work for the lo po section.

Is anyone else in the same boat? How do you deal with the two different needs?
__
2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
:thumbright:
Canadian Mama!

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    This isn't a problem I have, but in this post that Gaby.Vintimi started, she posted some refresh techniques by FitKat that might help. I can't remember if it was one of those videos or another one on FitKat's youtube channel, but she discusses how she deals with mixed porosity due to regular coloring and the newer growth being lower porosity than the old growth. (Although this isn't a problem I have to deal with I found some of Fitkat's videos helpful.)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 856Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I have low porosity towards the roots, and high porosity on the ends.  I use products that do well for me overall - low poo (still experimenting with different brands), Deva Curl One condition.  When I conditioner, I use a fairly small amount to start with, and rake it through from roots to ends.  Then I do the super soaker method, adding small amounts of water and squishing all over.  As I'm squishing, I can see the ends are not clumping the way they should, so I add more conditioner just to the ends, and continue adding water and squishing.  I still use the same amount of conditioner as I used to, but it's now concentrated on the ends, and has very little up top.  If I want to add a cream, it goes just in the ends and I try to keep it far away from the roots.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2C/3A, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo
    Innersense Color Radiance Conditioner
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ugh. Cowashing in this dry weather is terrible for the roots but great for the ends. Maybe a big chop is on order. 
    __
    Canadian Mama!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 707Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Ugh. Cowashing in this dry weather is terrible for the roots but great for the ends. Maybe a big chop is on order. 
    Try washing the top of you head with the shampoo, rinse then cowash the bottom.  Use a similar technique for the leave ins
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, Colorful Neutral Protein Filler, Sunflower Oil Pre-poo
    Styling: Living Proof Curl Defining Styling Cream and/or Living Proof Curl Enhancing Styling Mousse
    Well since its only have of your hair, it would only be half of a big chop :)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,452Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    My hair goes from low to medium to high along it's length. I wear my hair long and it grows slowly so by the time it gets to the ends, it's been damaged by wind and sun and tangles. I really don't do much about it. I use the same products year round, condition wash year round. The only thing I do for the ends is if they seem dry (especially in winter) I just run some coconut oil over them. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Noooo! Don't cut it @Savagegirl:o

Just having a little fun. :)  I am growing my hair and am so impatient to see some length. If you do decide to cut the last foot you will be left with all over awesome hair. Decisions decisions....

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It grows super fast so it would be ok. 

Am I the only person on earth who justcannot use oils? Sigh
    __
    Canadian Mama!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,452Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'm sure you are not the only person @Savagegirl. If I use oils on the top of my head my hair gets stringy and has a weird frizziness.  But on the ends it works great.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • StephC79StephC79 Posts: 95Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Am I the only person on earth who justcannot use oils? Sigh
    No, my hair absolutely hates oils on it as well. 
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
    My hair doesn't like oils as a styler, but they are great as a pre-poo before clarifying as well as a henna post-poo (which is sort of a pre-poo since I follow with low-poo/rinseout conditioner). But I don't think this would work for me if I cowashed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file