Clips, etc

GretchenGretchen AdministratorModerators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
Do you use a lot of clips and barrettes and whatnot in your hair? 

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• SavagegirlSavagegirl Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Connoisseur
    I would love to use barrettes more often because they stay in better, but I'm a bit at a loss as to how to style with them without feeling like a school girl. Hoping for ideas?
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!
  • ellajellaj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    @Savagegirl, I feel the same as you, most barrettes and especially hairbands seem suited to the younger set. 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    i just posted in other thread, i do use headbands and clips, changing bad hair days into great hair days.   
    my favorite headbands come from jcrew clearance sales.....   

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    rbb said:
    i just posted in other thread, i do use headbands and clips, changing bad hair days into great hair days.   
    my favorite headbands come from jcrew clearance sales.....   
    @rbb, are the hairbands cloth or plastic? The plastic variety always push in at my temples. I do have a wide forehead so this doesn't help.

i guess they are plastic, satin wrapped.   i mostly wear them when i am going out, wanting to rely on them for good hair.  i'll see if i can find them on internet, send you a pic.

• BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    I rarely use clips, as my very fine textured hair will inevitably will get hung up in them. I do however, use those plain, plastic combs, and always carry a couple in my purse. I've learned to use them in a variety of ways, including to put my hair up. 
    This post can maybe fit here. I am a hat fanatic and use them more than I use clips or ties, etc.  The biggest hurdle is hat head, especially now that many of us are experiencing this crazy arctic blast and having to wear one like it or not.

I found this idea for curly heads via a Pinterest link....

https://www.justcurly.com/curly-hairstyle/curls-and-hats-how-to-wear-a-hat-with-curly-hair/

I also wanted to ask for opinions on claw clips, are they considered hair friendly? All of the ones that I looked at today had wires at the hinge and I am thinking that they might catch and pull easily. I was also wondering if they hold well. Some of them are so pretty and I am tempted to buy one. 

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2018
    I have long heavy hair and find most barrettes damaging and sometimes uncomfortable. I also find headbands uncomfortable. I sometimes use a huge claw clip when I want all of my hair up. Other than that I mainly use big fat Scunci ponytail holders.
    @ellaj I use small claw clips on the top of my hair while it's drying to give me some lift and big ones to hold my hair up when it's hot or to keep it all out of my way. I've never had any get stuck or anything. And the ones I use are very strong and hold my hair well.

--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    edited January 2018

@ellaj I use small claw clips on the top of my hair while it's drying to give me some lift and big ones to hold my hair up when it's hot or to keep it all out of my way. I've never had any get stuck or anything. And the ones I use are very strong and hold my hair well.

Thanks for the reply @jeepcurlygurl. Yes, those are the the style of clips that I was looking at yesterday. With my fine hair the small ones would be more than enough. I was at Sallys and they carry them, but look what I found on line.

It's just like me to find the most expensive little jaw clip on the planet. There are so many to choose from also. Heaven help me!

https://www.franceluxe.com/France-Luxe-Small-Couture-Jaw--Hayden-Floral_p_28122.html

BeinDeb said:
     I do however, use those plain, plastic combs, and always carry a couple in my purse. I've learned to use them in a variety of ways, including to put my hair up. 
    @BeinDeb, look at these combs. If you ever have a special event and need to have something fancy, these are very fancy. You may need to win a lottery, though,lol! 

https://www.franceluxe.com/Decorative-Combs_c_2259.html

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    @ellaj Those are the prettiest clips!  I actually like mine to be near invisible so I really like the clear and grey ones. I get mine at the dollar store for next to nothing but that's how I roll. haha. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    edited January 2018
    They are pretty.  

Reminded me I once saw a woman who had pulled some hair back off her face and held it in place with a line of a few tiny claw clips with a crystal in each one.    It was stunning. 

I only have plain brown black and clear ones but I do use a them sometimes in that style.  

edited January 2018
    @ellaj Those are the prettiest clips!  I actually like mine to be near invisible so I really like the clear and grey ones. I get mine at the dollar store for next to nothing but that's how I roll. haha. 
    They are some of the prettiest clips I have seen, @jeepcurlygurl. I found the "sale" items and even then they are pricey. Seems to me that they could be so easily misplaced or lost, and that would hurt! 

I will start with one of Sally's clips just to see how I like them. 

rbb said:
    They are pretty.  

Reminded me I once saw a woman who had pulled some hair back off her face and held it in place with a line of a few tiny claw clips with a crystal in each one.    It was stunning. 

I only have plain brown black and clear ones but I do use a them sometimes in that style.  
    That does sound pretty @rbb. Sally's had one clip in particular that had some bling, I probably should have went ahead and bought it. 

the claw clips i've had last a long time, so you should go ahead and splurge!   especially if it makes you happy with your hair.

You are right rbb, I should splurge. ;) 

rbb said:
    the claw clips i've had last a long time, so you should go ahead and splurge!   especially if it makes you happy with your hair.
    @rbb, I didn't have to splurge, someone very special just returned from Florida and she brought me a new hair clip. It is not the claw type, it is called a beak clip and it is beautiful.
    She knows that I have been wanting to grow my hair so she bought it as a Christmas/growing gift. 

What a great gift. --  practical pretty and sentimental in a meaningful way.   

rbb said:
    What a great gift. --  practical pretty and sentimental in a meaningful way.   
    I agree @rbb.  

I bought a small cascade style clip today, but I cannot make it stay in my hair. Practice is needed.

what is a  cascade style clip?

edited January 2018
    rbb said:
    what is a  cascade style clip?
    One like this, rbb.
    https://www.franceluxe.com/Banana-Clips_c_2249.html

Wrong link, rbb, I fixed it for you. 

oh, i knew them as banana clips.   

rbb said:
    oh, i knew them as banana clips.   
    That's the name, I also have heard them referred to as cascade clips. Mine looks like this, poor photo quality but you can see what I mean,

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I often use clips like the ones @jeepcurlygirl posted. On a bad hair day, I will pull my hair into a ponytail, twist it, and then secure it with one of those clips in the back of my head. I then secure loose side pieces with some bobby pins.

I have this picture of a barrette pinned to my inspiration board, but I haven't had luck replicating the look with my hair (I have a bigger forehead and less curl than in the pic). 

Celebrity makeup artist Lisa Eldridge often wears headbands, although she doesn't really use them to keep hair out of her face. Here is an example. (Ironically, she is showing off her new straightening brush!)

I have found a lot of interesting clips, barrettes, and bobby pins at Free People and at Nordstrom. In fact, just browsing the hair accessories pictures on the Free People site can give you ideas for how to wear clips, pins, and barrettes in interesting ways.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    @Therese1, I hadn't heard of Free People. I just spent a little time browsing their hair accessories and found these soft scrunchies. They would be hair friendly for sure! My hair isn't long enough for one yet but I would consider buying a couple once my hair does get longer. https://www.shopbop.com/velvet-scrunchie-set-namrata-joshipura/vp/v=1/1532431992.htm?folderID=13575&fm=other-viewall&os=false&colorId=10ACC

ellaj said:
    rbb said:
    @rbb, I didn't have to splurge, someone very special just returned from Florida and she brought me a new hair clip. It is not the claw type, it is called a beak clip and it is beautiful.
    She knows that I have been wanting to grow my hair so she bought it as a Christmas/growing gift. 
    Bad news @rbb. The clip is metal and it is far too heavy for my hair, even if my hair was much longer it would not work for me. Here is a photo of it, just because this is a clip discussion! ;)

It does look heavy for hair.   But it is unusual, beautiful.  I'd probably wear it on clothing maybe on a belt?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file