Do you wear your hair the same every day?

GretchenGretchen AdministratorModerators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
Do you wear your hair the same all the time or do you mix it up? How often do you change it? 

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• SavagegirlSavagegirl Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Connoisseur
    I am usually a wash and go girl except when I am trying to push wash days a little further. Actually, updos and half updo ideas would be awesome.
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!
  • Hullacurls92Hullacurls92 Registered Users Posts: 28 Curl Connoisseur
    I used to! But that was when I first started wearing my hair curly and didn’t really know what to do with it. Now I love trying the new styling techniques and hair tutorials. I am just realizing all that I can do with my natural hair and I love it 😊
  • StephC79StephC79 Registered Users Posts: 99 Curl Connoisseur
    I pretty much just wear my hair down most of the time but when I'm running late for the school run it gets put up into a bunch to save me styling it.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
  • ellajellaj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 826 Curl Virtuoso
    My hair is always down due to headaches when I try to wear it up. Even a pony tail can start to hurt if I leave it in while raking leaves or shoveling snow, etc. My scalp is super sensitive, always has been. Bobbie pins pull out hair when I try to take them out and headbands push in on my temples. 

I'm a cheery sort this morning, lol.  :)

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

I forgot to mention that I do braid my hair when I need a change, not so much now that it is layered throughout, but when it was all one length I could braid the sides back or french braid, etc. On the plus side, having waves and curls means that I don't have to tie the braid off, the nature of my hair holds the braid perfectly, especially if I braid while my hair is damp. No headaches due to no pulling and braiding loosely.  ;)

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    when i am having what i feel is a 'bad hair day,' i often use headbands that have maybe a flat bow on the side. and, i ALWAYS get compliments when i do this!!  
    sometimes i will clip one side up and again, get lots of compliments when i do this.  i usually do this when i anticipate dry air that will flatten my hair, and it looks good with one side up.  
    again, changing"bad" hair days into good hair days.  

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    I wear my hair down all the time, and I'm bored with it. But I can't really figure out other ways to wear it. I wish I could wear headbands, but they feel uncomfortable to me. I do wear it in a pony tail when it is annoying me, but I don't like what it looks like.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    Yup! Folks lose their minds when I wear it any other way, lol. Even when I had straight hair, I wore it down every day. Same as I wear my natural hair now. 

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm with @rbb: I change up my hair when I am anticipating a bad hair day.

I generally wear my hair down on wash day, and if the dew points are good, I'll wear it down on day 2, either with my hair tucked behind my ears to hide the flatter hair on the sides of my head, or with curling iron touch-ups to fix the flat sides.

On day 3, I usually have to resort to pulling my hair back, either in a ponytail or a bun, because it's pretty darn straight by then. If I can't get my hair washed at the end of day 3, I will wear my hair up again on day 4.

Another option I take on days 3-4 is to straighten my hair. In fact, I plan to do that tomorrow, because my hair just looks SAD--barely any wave. And this is only day 2. :( I need a haircut, and the dews are extremely low.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    No. I usually do something different every day. As my hair is fine with low density, I'm very mindful of traction alopecia, and feel that doing something different helps prevent it. My favorite do, is to put it up messy bun style using the u-shaped amish pins. My daughter affectionately refers to it as "prom hair." It's probably my favorite way of wearing it, as I can easily take it down, and it looks good.
    BeinDeb said:
    No. I usually do something different every day. As my hair is fine with low density, I'm very mindful of traction alopecia, and feel that doing something different helps prevent it. My favorite do, is to put it up messy bun style using the u-shaped amish pins. My daughter affectionately refers to it as "prom hair." It's probably my favorite way of wearing it, as I can easily take it down, and it looks good.
    What are u-shaped amish pins, BeinDeb? Maybe I could give them a try. 

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,356 Curl Connoisseur
    beindeb -- i got a great visual of your hair up with the prom remark -- i am sure you daughter did not mean that as a compliment, but i get a pretty visual of a loose updo.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    I wear a pony most of the time (low pony, high pony, top of head pony). 2 or 3 times a week I wear it in a braid. On a rare occasion I'll wear it down.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    I have same questions as @EllaJ --- what are Amish pins, @BeinDeb

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen said:
    I have same questions as @EllaJ --- what are Amish pins, @BeinDeb
    Google to the rescue @Gretchen. Now the question is "how do you use them?"

They are just wider bobby pins. Great for messy buns
    __
    Canadian!!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    When the weather is frigid which it has been in NYC for months, I must wear a very tight wool cap, with down hood squashed over it and my curls - as the saying goes - fuhgeddaboutit.   Hopeless.  Smashed flat into smithereens.  So in horrible winter weather I give up and do roller sets.  Makes me look older, old fashioned, grim, and decidedly less attractive.  Finally today was better and I did a totally cg curly look.  Got immediate smiling compliments from friends who loved the look.  Now weather, please cooperate, so that I can look youthful, cheery and prettier!  Love my curls!  
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I feel like I’ve taken low maintenance to a new level. Currently in the middle of a depressive episode, so my hair style alternates between down and messy bun, with the ratio far more in favor of the messy bun than it normally is. Down means 1-2 styling products, plus or minus leave-in conditioner, and then air dried, because I’m far too lazy to deal with diffusing. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I rotate around 4 styles.  Bun, ponytail, headband and down.  I know on other posts some people have complained about headbands pinching and giving them headaches, many headbands do that to me too, but I found these which are very light and don't pinch:
    https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Womens-Classics-Shoestring-Headband/dp/B009SE6DGO/ref=pd_bxgy_194_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B009SE6DGO&pd_rd_r=V7MQ9JPWFC4E064W689M&pd_rd_w=LCjvx&pd_rd_wg=jYSpS&refRID=V7MQ9JPWFC4E064W689M&th=1

I usually get them at Target, so I can pick my own colors
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    We need pics of some of these, for those of us who are styling challenged! 😁
    __
    Canadian!!
  • jengarthejengarthe Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte

I agree with @Savagegirl -- any pics?

I wear my hair differently based on how it looks when I wake up. So unpredictable! Usually wear it down or half up on wash day, down the next day, and then ponytails and such. Would love to try a braid when it grows a bit longer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file