My rant about the "Men" and curls thing.

MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Every now and then, a post pops up about men not liking curls.  Some responders have tried to justify "men" not liking curls as a "personal preference".

Let's be clear.  It is not a personal preference.  It is a bias.  Because saying "I dont like curls" is like saying "I dont like blue eyes".  In other words, our eye color, our hair, is genetically determined and not something we can change.  We can alter it..but we cannot change it.  Furthermore, would a woman every say "I dont like men with curly hair"?  NO, we would not.  Because it is immature.  Which brings me to my next point.  Next time someone posts about "Men" not liking curly hair, I am sure I will comment the following:  A "man" who dislikes curls is not a man.  He is a boy. 

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    Myrna,
         I sort of agree with you, except it is easier to change your hair than your eye color.  Let's face it there is a booming business in tools and chemicals to change the appearance of our hair, to straighten curly hair, to curl straight hair, extensions to make short hair long, wigs, and dye to change the color.
          I don't know how many people try to change their hair because of pressure from others or within.

I do have preferences on men's hair styles.  It is not one blanket hair style it depends on the person so don't know if it is a bias or a preference.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Even still, a preference is not the same as"I don't like curly hair". And precisely: there is a multi billion dollar business trying to convince us that curls are bad and straight is good...that curls are not good enough..and we are not good enough. That would also be my take on s boy who "doesn't like curls...he thinks a curly girl isn't good enough.

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Maybe because I grew up with a mom that was always getting perms, and is still commenting that she wishes she had my waves/curls, that I see the other side of the coin.  Thankfully we have NC to help us embrace our curl power.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I haven’t been opening those threads to be honest. I don’t think women should get caught up in what men do and don’t like. There is someone for everyone and that someone will stick around because of you, not your hair. I had a relaxer when I met my husband. I went natural and there were some bumps but now he loves it. Years later, we’re a curly couple as well. 

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I could not like Myrna's comments enough. I once met a guy who declared that he like short petit brunette women with long straight hair. Oh and she had to have brown eyes. I just laughed to myself. There is nothing wrong with having those features, but he was indeed a boy who had dreams of building someone for him. I don't have preference in guys' hair style or even color for that matter. I like beards but would never insist that a boyfriend grow or keep a beard if he didn't want to. I think that if you nitpick at physical appearance too much, you'll miss out on some really great people. Besides, in my experience, men with great personalities make them more handsome than any celebrity.
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    BrittanyM said:
     Besides, in my experience, men with great personalities make them more handsome than any celebrity.
    I agree @BrittanyM

Also, men who have great respect for their Mothers and their sisters make them real life celebrities.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• SydneyEJSydneyEJ Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I've honestly never met a man who has disliked curly hair and been worth my time. The boys who asked me to straighten my hair because they liked it better were just that: boys. However, the men I've dated have always been very clear that they love my hair however I choose to style it, though they definitely tend to lean towards my natural hair more because it means less damage to my hair and more confidence in my natural self.

Either way, rock your curls ladies, no matter what some guy says. As long as you're keeping them and yourself healthy and happy, no one else's opinions should really matter.
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I could care less what men like or don't like about my hair. I've never had anyone actually tell me they didn't like my hair. And I wouldn't automatically assume men who don't like curly hair are boys. That's the same principle about calling men who like thin women "dogs".  "Only dogs like bones!", "Real men like curves!" - it's stupid. If a man doesn't like my curly hair, chances are he's not going to talk to me anyway so it's really a non-issue. Not everyone is going to find our features attractive, nor do they have to. 
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Interesting thread, ladies!  Love the viewpoints.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Some men like curly hair, some like straight hair. Same for women. I've heard way more criticism about curly hair from women. When I was a kid it bothered me, but now it doesn't bother me at all. People have a right not to like curly hair. And I have a right to love it. Same for pretty much everything in life. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    we are all attracted to what we are attracted to.... 
    personally, i am not attracted to men with comb overs (and conversely, am very attracted to bald men), nor am i attracted to men with mustaches, just seems unhygienic to me.... :o

no control over what appeals to us and what is unappealing.  of course, we should be mindful of the person and not express our feelings.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file