Intro post!

anyothergirlanyothergirl Registered Users Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte

Hello, I'm new (of course.) My hair was always wavy growing up--I lived on the East Coast US and it was very humid. I have kept my hair cut very short most of my life. When I finally let it grow back out a few years ago, it was... poufy (when I brushed it) and I even had one amazing ringlet at the back of my head (underneath, not at the crown). I cut it all back off. And now I want to grow it back out. It's super unhealthy from bleaching and colouring now. It's around a 2B, although now I live somewhere dry so it might not curl as much as it used to. I did scrunch it this week just to see and it was wilder, so maybe I'll get that one ringlet back eventually LOL.

I have Questions. VO5 and Suave and all that--have alcohols? I thought that was also a no-no as much as cones and sulfates? I'm not sure what routine I should even try. I don't want to big chop because I'm only just growing it out now, but the ends will eventually need cut from the bleaching and stuff. For now I'm thinking a cleansing conditioner to replace shampoo, a nourishing regular conditioner I don't wash all the way out, and a monthly protein treatment and/or deep conditioner? Does that sound okay? I already don't heat style, but need to replace my terrycloth bath towel with microfiber. I also don't use a brush or comb (it was never long enough to bother before!).

So I guess, recommended routine for damaged hair in the process of growing out (we're just about at a bob from a pixie), and suggestions for products that don't break the bank. I really want my hair to get healthy again and see what it really looks like. Thanks!

Comments

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi Anyothergirl,

Welcome to nc.com. To answer some of your questions:
    1) Suave and VO5 conditioners have cetyl alcohol or ceteryl alcohol which are emollient alcohols and therefore moisturizing. Steer clear if you see denatured alcohol or isopropyl alcohol, which are the drying ones.

2) Your routine plan sounds like a good place to start be flexible to your hair's needs.

3) You can use an old cotton t-shirt rather than a microfiber towel if you want. I actually prefer it, as I find my microfiber towels that I got from BB&B to grab at my hair even though they are supposed to be better.

4) I don't have too much to say about your routine as I have different hair issues to you, and don't follow a strict CG Method. The first step is to figure out your hair thickness and porosity (probably high since you are dealing with damage). I think AsIAm Cowash is very popular. It is also popular to use Suave Coconut and VO5 conditioners as cowashes. Some of the VO5 formulas have protein in them, which your damaged hair may like. The Suave Coconut has silk protein which may be really good for your hair to make it more manageable.

When I was getting started I really liked Rockyn Curls' blog for ideas, and I think she was recovering from damage like you, so you might want to check it out. She has some great product demos and reviews. LiveCurlyLiveFree had some good info too, as do the newbie threads here on nc.com.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome, @anyothergirl!  Thanks for joining our curly world! We'd love to see a photo of your curls! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to NC!
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file