What's the difference between a lotion, cream and pomade?

CurlyArtistCurlyArtist Posts: 22Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
More like I've been wondering what a pomade is and is used for. I use a cream and curious if it's different from a lotion.
Shampoo: Renpure Originals Argan Oil Luxurious Shampoo
Clarifying Shampoo: EDEN Bodyworks Peppermint Tea Tree Shampoo
Conditioner: Maui Moisture Coconut Curly Conditioner
Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Moisture Masque
Protein Treatment: Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula Deep Conditioning Protein Pack
Cream: SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Milk
              or Palmers Hair Milk Smoothie Coconut Oil Formula
Oil: Olive Oil
Gel: Schwartzkopf Smooth N' Shine Curl Defining Mousse

Transitioning type 2c/3a naturally ash brown. Transitioning from chemical dye damage.

Best Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Good question. I always thought it was related to the thickness of the product which translates to the amount of hold it gives, which in turn translates to the kind of looks and effects you get.

Lotion: Thinnest consistency > lightest hold > soft, natural look
    Cream: Thicker > medium hold > More control, less movement, less risk of frizz
    Pomade: Thickest > firm hold > Can get a textured and/or sculpted look.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    Pomades were close personal friends when I was living in TX and fighting constant 70+ dewpoints. Some have hold, some don't. What they all had in common was ingredients, including but not limited to butters, waxes, etc., that seal spectacularly. As they do seal so well, it's very important to make sure your hair is well moisturized before applying. I would apply it on at least damp hair, and usually wet. No moisture got in, but none could get out either. The ones I used that had hold, usually contained a "holding" ingredient like pvp, or had a wax in the top 5 ingredients listed.

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It is a good question.  I also thought it was related to the viscosity (thickness) of the product.  But, I also don't equate it with hold.  I think you can have a pomade without much hold.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It is a good question.  I also thought it was related to the viscosity (thickness) of the product.  But, I also don't equate it with hold.  I think you can have a pomade without much hold.
    Intersting. So how would you use a low-hold pomade?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file