Olive Oil as Styler

GitaAndHairGitaAndHair Posts: 16Registered Users Curl Novice
edited December 2017 in Hair Type 3
I use olive oil as styler + leave in. Just a little amount, around dime-sized for each side (left and right). And I don't use gel or curl cream or mousse or any other styling products. Just olive oil for styling.

Anyways, I think it's also worth a try for those who have dry hair even after styling. I got better definition, less frizz, more shine, and more voluminous curls with just using olive oil. And more MOISTURE of course. Wish I had tried this sooner, since in the past using gel/mousse dry out my hair (affordable curly hair products in Jakarta are VERY scarce, and most hair products contain alcohol). Now I can save more money as well since I'm ditching my gel hehe.

Anyone else does this or would like to give it a try? It's worth a try if the hair's dry. 
HAIR INFO
- Brownish black 2C/3A hair with some 2a/2b
- Low porosity, little split ends and breakage
- Fine hair, medium/thick density
- No to little root curl
- Can be styled anywhere from 2a to 3a according to need
- Virgin hair (never have been chemically or heat treated before)

CURRENT PRODUCT INFO
- Shampoo: Pantene Pro-V Daily Moisture Renewal
- Conditioner: Moringa Oleifera & Olive Oil Natur Conditioner
- Deep condition oil: Mustika Ratu Cemceman Hair Oil
- Styler + leave in: Ovale Olive Oil

-------

15 y/o. Is Indonesian and lives in Jakarta, Indonesia (tropical climate).

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    When I was in my early twenties, I used only oil as a styler and had great hair. I used coconut oil, olive oil. When I had a pixie cut, I used a combination of an anti-humectant pomade and an oil blend from Aveda and had great hair. But then I got old (mid-thirties :p) and my hair became a crotchety old lady too soon.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GitaAndHairGitaAndHair Posts: 16Registered Users Curl Novice
    bomega said:
    When I was in my early twenties, I used only oil as a styler and had great hair. I used coconut oil, olive oil. When I had a pixie cut, I used a combination of an anti-humectant pomade and an oil blend from Aveda and had great hair. But then I got old (mid-thirties :p) and my hair became a crotchety old lady too soon.
    Glad to know I'm not (or wasn't ;) ) alone! How much oil did you use back then? I still can't figure out the best amount for me, since too much has made my hair waaaayyyyyyyy too greasy, and too little results in frizz.
    HAIR INFO
    - Brownish black 2C/3A hair with some 2a/2b
    - Low porosity, little split ends and breakage
    - Fine hair, medium/thick density
    - No to little root curl
    - Can be styled anywhere from 2a to 3a according to need
    - Virgin hair (never have been chemically or heat treated before)

CURRENT PRODUCT INFO
    - Shampoo: Pantene Pro-V Daily Moisture Renewal
    - Conditioner: Moringa Oleifera & Olive Oil Natur Conditioner
    - Deep condition oil: Mustika Ratu Cemceman Hair Oil
    - Styler + leave in: Ovale Olive Oil

-------

15 y/o. Is Indonesian and lives in Jakarta, Indonesia (tropical climate).
    I used a small amount. Just a 2-3 drops when I had a pixie cut. Not much more when it was longer. But that was part of the issue for why I had to find new techniques in my 30s. My hair just became more finicky.

But something in recent times I have found is that I can do an oil treatment where I saturate my hair with oil, then shampoo/condition my hair the next day, and my hair looks great. However, I usually do this after I do a henna treatment, so I don't know how much of it is the combo of henna treatment+oil treatment.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,684Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I wish I could use oil as a styler. I like the way it feels and it gives my hair shine but as the day goes on it makes my hair stringy and I get a lot of halo frizz.  I do use oil as a pre-poo treatment, in my deep treatments, and I use it on dry hair if it's going in to a braid. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,798Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    bomega said:
    So what happens when you try to use oil as a styler now? Why do think it no longer works? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    edited January 11
    Gretchen said:
    bomega said:
    So what happens when you try to use oil as a styler now? Why do think it no longer works? 
    In my mid-30's, out of no where, using oil made my hair greasy, weighed down in a triangle hair kind of way. At that point, I had to figure out new ways of dealing with it. I have not tried using oil since then. One thing that does work is to do an oil treatment with a good generous amount of oil the night before then shampoo/condition as usual the next morning. Clumps, curls, and even spirals the next day!

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,798Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    bomega said:
    Gretchen said:
    bomega said:
    In my mid-30's, out of no where, using oil made my hair greasy, weighed down in a triangle hair kind of way. At that point, I had to figure out new ways of dealing with it. I have not tried using oil since then. One thing that does work is to do an oil treatment with a good generous amount of oil the night before then shampoo/condition as usual the next morning. Clumps, curls, and even spirals the next day!
    Ooooo.... like that tip! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen said:
    bomega said:
    Gretchen said:
    bomega said:
    Ooooo.... like that tip! 
    You know @Gretchen it occurs to me that I get this result when I do an oil treatment after a henna treatment. So maybe if you want to try it, start with a protein treatment?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file