We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Olive Oil as Styler

GitaAndHairGitaAndHair Posts: 16Registered Users Curl Novice
edited December 2017 in Hair Type 3
I use olive oil as styler + leave in. Just a little amount, around dime-sized for each side (left and right). And I don't use gel or curl cream or mousse or any other styling products. Just olive oil for styling.

Anyways, I think it's also worth a try for those who have dry hair even after styling. I got better definition, less frizz, more shine, and more voluminous curls with just using olive oil. And more MOISTURE of course. Wish I had tried this sooner, since in the past using gel/mousse dry out my hair (affordable curly hair products in Jakarta are VERY scarce, and most hair products contain alcohol). Now I can save more money as well since I'm ditching my gel hehe.

Anyone else does this or would like to give it a try? It's worth a try if the hair's dry. 
HAIR INFO
- Brownish black 2C/3A hair with some 2a/2b
- Low porosity, little split ends and breakage
- Fine hair, medium/thick density
- No to little root curl
- Can be styled anywhere from 2a to 3a according to need
- Virgin hair (never have been chemically or heat treated before)

CURRENT PRODUCT INFO
- Shampoo: Pantene Pro-V Daily Moisture Renewal
- Conditioner: Moringa Oleifera & Olive Oil Natur Conditioner
- Deep condition oil: Mustika Ratu Cemceman Hair Oil
- Styler + leave in: Ovale Olive Oil

-------

15 y/o. Is Indonesian and lives in Jakarta, Indonesia (tropical climate).

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 749Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    When I was in my early twenties, I used only oil as a styler and had great hair. I used coconut oil, olive oil. When I had a pixie cut, I used a combination of an anti-humectant pomade and an oil blend from Aveda and had great hair. But then I got old (mid-thirties :p) and my hair became a crotchety old lady too soon.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner (summer), Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing Conditioner, Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Alaffia Beautiful Curls for Wavy/Curly Hair
    Styler: Giovanni LA Natural Gel
    Treatment: daily black tea spray, coconut oil treatment, 2-step henndigo with amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GitaAndHairGitaAndHair Posts: 16Registered Users Curl Novice
    bomega said:
    When I was in my early twenties, I used only oil as a styler and had great hair. I used coconut oil, olive oil. When I had a pixie cut, I used a combination of an anti-humectant pomade and an oil blend from Aveda and had great hair. But then I got old (mid-thirties :p) and my hair became a crotchety old lady too soon.
    Glad to know I'm not (or wasn't ;) ) alone! How much oil did you use back then? I still can't figure out the best amount for me, since too much has made my hair waaaayyyyyyyy too greasy, and too little results in frizz.
    HAIR INFO
    - Brownish black 2C/3A hair with some 2a/2b
    - Low porosity, little split ends and breakage
    - Fine hair, medium/thick density
    - No to little root curl
    - Can be styled anywhere from 2a to 3a according to need
    - Virgin hair (never have been chemically or heat treated before)

CURRENT PRODUCT INFO
    - Shampoo: Pantene Pro-V Daily Moisture Renewal
    - Conditioner: Moringa Oleifera & Olive Oil Natur Conditioner
    - Deep condition oil: Mustika Ratu Cemceman Hair Oil
    - Styler + leave in: Ovale Olive Oil

-------

15 y/o. Is Indonesian and lives in Jakarta, Indonesia (tropical climate).
    I used a small amount. Just a 2-3 drops when I had a pixie cut. Not much more when it was longer. But that was part of the issue for why I had to find new techniques in my 30s. My hair just became more finicky.

But something in recent times I have found is that I can do an oil treatment where I saturate my hair with oil, then shampoo/condition my hair the next day, and my hair looks great. However, I usually do this after I do a henna treatment, so I don't know how much of it is the combo of henna treatment+oil treatment.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner (summer), Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing Conditioner, Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Alaffia Beautiful Curls for Wavy/Curly Hair
    Treatment: daily black tea spray, coconut oil treatment, 2-step henndigo with amla to cover gray

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,681Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I wish I could use oil as a styler. I like the way it feels and it gives my hair shine but as the day goes on it makes my hair stringy and I get a lot of halo frizz.  I do use oil as a pre-poo treatment, in my deep treatments, and I use it on dry hair if it's going in to a braid. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,979Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    bomega said:
    So what happens when you try to use oil as a styler now? Why do think it no longer works? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    edited January 11
    Gretchen said:
    bomega said:
    So what happens when you try to use oil as a styler now? Why do think it no longer works? 
    In my mid-30's, out of no where, using oil made my hair greasy, weighed down in a triangle hair kind of way. At that point, I had to figure out new ways of dealing with it. I have not tried using oil since then. One thing that does work is to do an oil treatment with a good generous amount of oil the night before then shampoo/condition as usual the next morning. Clumps, curls, and even spirals the next day!

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,979Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    bomega said:
    Gretchen said:
    bomega said:
    In my mid-30's, out of no where, using oil made my hair greasy, weighed down in a triangle hair kind of way. At that point, I had to figure out new ways of dealing with it. I have not tried using oil since then. One thing that does work is to do an oil treatment with a good generous amount of oil the night before then shampoo/condition as usual the next morning. Clumps, curls, and even spirals the next day!
    Ooooo.... like that tip! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen said:
    bomega said:
    Gretchen said:
    bomega said:
    Ooooo.... like that tip! 
    You know @Gretchen it occurs to me that I get this result when I do an oil treatment after a henna treatment. So maybe if you want to try it, start with a protein treatment?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file