We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Best way to use Sheamoisture JBCO Styling Lotion?

RazanARazanA Posts: 12Registered Users Curl Neophyte
What is the best way to use this product? Ive read a ton of reviews that say it works by itself but I'm very skeptical. My hair is 3b, medium fine, low porosity and gets very frizzy. So I need to lock in moisture quickly and well. 
Anyone have any recommendations for how to use this product for low frizz, air drying? I have the leave in conditioner in this line and a bunch of light oils to help with frizz. I'm just not sure what order to put them in to lock in all that moisture When air drying. 

Answers

• bomegabomega Posts: 801Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    Well, according to the listed instructions:

Rub a small amount together in hands and apply to dry, styled hair, smoothing flyaways with fingertips. For maximum control apply small dabs to hairline, and to ends or damaged areas. Can also be used as a pre-styler on towel-dried hair. For maximum control , apply small dabs to hairline and to edges the night before and cover with a silk scarf. In the morning the hair will be slicked back and well hydrated.

Precautions: Natural and certified organic ingredients may vary in color and consistency. If irritation occurs, discontinue use.

Have you tried any of that? How did it go?

Looking at the ingredients:

Water (Aqua), Hydroxypropyl Trimonium Hydrolyzed Corn Starch, Oat Beta Glucan, Cetearyl Alcohol, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil*, Inulin, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearyl Dihydroxypropyldimonium Oligosaccharides, Behenyl Alcohol, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Glycerin (Vegetable) , Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Silk, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter*, Panthenol, Polyglyceryl-3 Stearate, Glyceryl Caprylate, Guar Hydroxypropyltimonium Chloride, Niacin, Glyceryl Undecylenate, Stearyl Alcohol, Fragrance (Essential Oil Blend), Diheptyl Succinate, Phytic Acid, Capryloyl Glycerin/Sebacic Acid Copolymer, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Leaf Extract, Citric Acid Granular *Certified Organic Ingredient.
    this product is very loaded with protein. In and of itself, that isn't a problem, but I know you have been struggling with your routine. If you are using a lot of protein in your products and you are low porosity, you may be experiencing protein overload. Low porosity fine hair doesn't always need a whole lot of product like coarse hair for control or high porosity hair for treatment. Many of us fine-haired, low-po use just a leave-in and a gel (I frequently use nothing after shampoo/conditioner for an everyday look and use a leave-in if I want more control for a more reliable look.)

I recall from your frizz-f-word thread that you have tried many products and still have frizz. Its very possible that you are experiencing product buildup. I wonder if you you should first do a sulfate clarify and a deep treatment with a silicone-free, and probably protein-free conditioner, maybe even with a little heat for 20-30 minutes. Then go from there.

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner (summer), Alaffia Coconut Reishi Nourishing Conditioner, Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Leave-in: Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Kinky-Curly Knot Today, Alaffia Beautiful Curls for Wavy/Curly Hair
    Styler: Giovanni LA Natural Gel
    Treatment: daily tea spray, coconut oil treatment, 2-step henndigo with amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file