Too much protein

itsyaboiajayitsyaboiajay Posts: 23Registered Users Curl Novice
Hello, so I'm trying to figure out why my hair seems to be poofy when it's soaking wet. I read somewhere online that said the hair has too much protein, is that true?

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It could be. Too much protein generally makes the hair hydrophobic (=repels water), so the strands don't clump as nicely and can be frizzy even when wet. I would try deep conditioning with a conditioner that has no protein and see if that helps the problem.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • itsyaboiajayitsyaboiajay Posts: 23Registered Users Curl Novice
    Ok, do you think that the Coconut Milk Conditioner and the Tresemme perfectly undone conditioner should help? I need to order more hair product so I want to make sure I don't waste my money on anything that might not work for my hair
  • dineshshahdineshshah Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have found a simple way to know if your hair has too much of protein. the steps are rather simple. All you have to do is take a strand of hair and wet it with water and try and gently pull it. Once that is done if it comes back to its previous length then you are fine. However, if it extends more than you think is normal and then breaks then you in all probability have excess protein in your hair. try this and see for yourself.
    I would stay away from anything with coconut, because coconut can make protein sensitivity worse. I don't know whether the Tresemme will work with your hair; there's no way to know except to try it. Can you buy it from somewhere that you can return it if it doesn't work?
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • itsyaboiajayitsyaboiajay Posts: 23Registered Users Curl Novice
    I could try to get the Tresemme from target and hopefully, I can return it. Do you have any product recommendations for my hair. And now when I think of it, I think the coconut oil might have made some parts of my hair not retain moisture and look dry when wet cause some little parts of my hair actually looks like it's wet
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    @itsyaboiajay - I responded to your other thread. Your problem isn't protein or coconut oil, its that Avanti Silicon buildup.

Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    It's really hard to recommend products without knowing more about your hair. You could start a separate thread giving information about your hair texture (coarse or fine), hair porosity (low to high), and curl pattern and what you are looking for (moisture, volume, frizz control) and ask people to recommend products based on that.

Coconut oil can make some people's hair feel "crispy." That's what it does to me. I am OK if there is some coconut oil in a product, but if it is straight coconut oil, it's trouble. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file