Anyone else trying new products, doing some experimenting this winter?

jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,361Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
edited December 2017 in Readers' Product Reviews
I've used the same products for years and I'm perfectly happy with them. Suave Conditioners and LA LOOKS Sport Gel, all cheap, easy to find, and they work great for me. But sometimes it's just fun to experiment with new things. And since I spend more time at home in the winter, it's the perfect time to do that.
I just got a bunch of new stuff from ShopNaturallyCurly!
Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner (I've used this before and like it)
Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment - Island Fantasy (I buy this once a year or so and love it)
These are all new products for me so let the fun begin!
Ecoco Eco Pro Cream Styling Gel Infuse N' Curl
Taliah Waajid Black Earth Products Enhancing Herbal Conditioner
Taliah Waajid Curls, Waves, & Naturals The Great Detangler
U R Curly Quinoa Conditioner
And they also sent me a sample of the Coconut Restore Whipped Coconut Oil. I haven't tried it on my hair but I love it on my hands and feet.

Anybody else try something new lately? 
--I'm located in Western PA.
--I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
--My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
--My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
--My CG and grey hair progress http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
--My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : /  https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 620Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I just got the results of my hair analysis, so once I fully digest all the information, I'll be trying some new things.  I need to find glycerin-free gels and curl enhancers, for one thing.  I have an old tube of Giovanni LA Naturals gel that has no glycerin, so I'll start with that.  I wasn't crazy about it before though, so I'm sure I'll be looking for something new.

I also need to start looking into more protein treatments.  I miss my Aubrey Organics GBP conditioner :(.  I wish they'd bring that back.

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2C/3A, fine hair, low density, low porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Noughty Wave Hello Shampoo
    Deva One Condition original formula
    Dippity Do Girls with Curls Gelee (the more I use this, the more I love it!)
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,361Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Since ShopNaturallyCurly has a 24% off sale store wide I had to order some more things. 
    Coconut Restore Try Me Kit 
    Curly Hair Solutions Kinky Curl Kit
    Ecoco Eco Pro Cream Styling Gel Play N' Stay 
    Ecoco Eco Pro Cream Styling Gel Stuck-Up 
    Ecoco Eco Styler Styling Gel Sport 
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : /  https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • StephC79StephC79 Posts: 89Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Guide 65 said:
    I just got the results of my hair analysis, so once I fully digest all the information, I'll be trying some new things.  I need to find glycerin-free gels and curl enhancers, for one thing.  I have an old tube of Giovanni LA Naturals gel that has no glycerin, so I'll start with that.  I wasn't crazy about it before though, so I'm sure I'll be looking for something new.

I also need to start looking into more protein treatments.  I miss my Aubrey Organics GBP conditioner :(.  I wish they'd bring that back.

Hi you just reminded me that I also loved the Aubrey Organics  GPB conditioner so I just checked online and it's back!! 
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,361Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ^ I have never been able to bring myself to try another Aubrey Organics product since, after maybe 10 years, I stil haven't been able to get the smell of the Honeysuckle Rose conditioner out of my nose and the texture was so weird. Maybe I will break down and try another one someday. 
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,292Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i agree with you, jeep, the audrey rose honeysuckle conditoner was so terrible in my hair i tossed it in trash.

i am using a new product and i think my hair is in love.  <3 <3  it is curl junkie spiral lotion curl creme.   i tested it for marsha back in early may and my hair could not wait til it was finally released for sale.   got it in mail on sunday, used it yesterday.  my hair is so happy, 2nd day hair is perfect....     it is concentrated so a little goes a long way and it is best partnered up with a gel, i use a tiny bit of cj pattern pusha with it.  hopefully sooner rather than later she will let shop naturally curly carry it and i can buy it on sale.  it will give me a couple of more months before i go for haircut.   :)   my hair has volume, shine, bounce, curl definition.....  again, that is with a little bit of gel.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 180Registered Users Curl Novice
    rbb said:
    i am using a new product and i think my hair is in love.  <3 <3  it is curl junkie spiral lotion curl creme...
    I saw that on the site and wondered if I should try it. Sounds like I should!
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    Winter: Acure Ultra-Hydrating Shampoo & Conditioner; then KCCC
    Summer: CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then CJ Beauticurls (and on days when I want more polish or definition) CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Sally's GVPCB, mixed with sunflower and olive oils 
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've tried a couple of new products that I purchased recently - a new leave-in: True by Made Beautiful. I adore the smell (it's mango), and I suspect my hair really likes the honey that's in it. I also purchased a new gel: Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic. So far, I'm really liking both of them. For my gel, I have been using Aussie's Headstrong Volume Spray Gel fairly faithfully...it's my favorite. But I wanted to have a backup as it's hard to find. The UFDCM seems to hold the fine curlies pretty well.

Jeepy, have you tried the Ecco Pro Styling Cream yet? I've been eyeing that for awhile now.  
    ^ I haven't tried any of the Ecco Pro stuff yet (I never even heard of it until the other day). I will post some updates when I get to experimenting! I'm doubting any of them will be as good as my LA Looks Gel but they were inexpensive so worth a try! 
    Here are the 3 new things I've tried so far.
    Taliah Waajid Curls, Waves, & Naturals The Great Detangler -- this had a scent I didn't love but it wasn't terrible, it had too much glycerin and too many oils for my hair, it wasn't detangling at all (which is weird since it's in the name!), made my hair feel weird, my hair didn't like it at all.
    U R Curly Quinoa Conditioner -- this was ok at detangling, felt moisturizing, had a very sharp, mentholy scent that I didn't really like but it disappeared pretty fast.
    Ecoco Eco Pro Cream Styling Gel Infuse N' Curl -- I like hard hold which this doesn't have but for those who like soft hair you might want to try this one. I love the little pump bottle that can be refilled and used for travel, etc. I look forward to trying the other 3 kinds of gel I ordered from this company.
    Some more of this week's experiments. One of the samples I got with my ShopNaturallyCurly order was a trio from Sashapure. Healing shampoo, healing conditioner, and Therapeutic elixir. My hair didn't like any of them. It wasn't terrible, just didn't do anything for me. The ingredients weren't on the samples but they may have had too much oil or maybe too much glycerin. It did say on the label that they use organic, cruelty free, sustainable rainforest ingredients that help the indigenous people, so I did like that. 

I tried the entire 6 piece Coconut Restore Try Me Kit.
    Last night I did an overnight treatment with the Whipped Coconut Oil. This also makes a great hand/body cream.
    Today I used the Repair Masque for a half hour, then used the Replenishing shampoo.  My hair usually has a terrible reaction to shampoo but I wanted to try all the components so I went ahead and used it. It wasn't terrible but it still made my hair feel weird. The Strengthening conditioner was ok, nothing special, but did feel moisturizing. The leave-in conditioner (which I also never use) was very nice as a detangler.  The Styling & Setting gelee had a decent hold and I think I would like it even more if I mixed it with my LA Looks Sport gel. 
    The whole kit together was very moisturizing (every component has coconut oil in it) but it didn't weigh down my hair or make it feel producty.  Not sure I would want to use it in summer humidity but in dry cold weather I would use this again. I really liked it. This might be too heavy for wavy or thin fine hair but otherwise I think it would be good more most hair types. 
    Everything smells delicious, a light fresh coconut scent. This is a bargain at $10 for the set of  travel sizes (not itty bitty either).
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 1,962Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I'm trying the hard-hold gel from Kenra. It's not the curly-hair version, just the regular version. I've tried it a couple of times but am not sure what to think about it--I'm dealing with overconditioned hair at the moment and think that may be why I'm not getting the hold I want from the Kenra.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I did try the Kenra curly gel too, a few weeks ago. It reminded me of Jessicurl Spiralicious. It was too moisturizing for my hair and elongated the wave. It went back to Ulta.

I also tried Extreme Wetline gel, which is sold at Target in a humongous container. It reminded me of Dippity Do from years back. The gel was kind of stiff and felt heavy in my hair. It didn't give me much hold (though that could have been from my hair being overmoisturized from too much conditioning). I decided that gel was too heavy for my hair and took it back to Target.

I'm back to my Alaffia gel, wavy-to-curly version, which I haven't used in a couple of years. I remember why I stopped using it: it leaves kind of a shiny look to the hair that looks producty. I already have very shiny hair, so extra shine added just looks weird. I had a lot of volume from it, though. I think the shiny coating comes from the agave.

I also recently tried my Alaffia leave-in, which also had been lingering for a while in my cabinet. I found that it gave my hair kind of a greasy look, which is certainly the shea butter. I might just use less of it next time. My hair does enjoy shea butter in very small amounts.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel
    Today I co-washed with Taliah Waajid Black Earth Products Enhancing Herbal Conditioner. This has a really nice tropical banana scent. It seemed both cleansing and moisturizing. Not a great amount of slip (but I have yet to find something with as much slip and as good at detangling as VO5 conditioners) but I like the way it felt while washing.

Then I used Eco Styler Styling Gel Sport.  This felt super weird the instant I put it in my hair. Kind of plasticy and producty. I thought Oh no, this is gonna be a disaster. But I was pleasantly surprised. It took forever to dry and I ended up using a diffuser to get it to dry but afterwards my hair looked way better than expected  It has a very good hold but no crunch. Very nice.
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,352Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    Therese1 said:
    <snip>

I also recently tried my Alaffia leave-in, which also had been lingering for a while in my cabinet. I found that it gave my hair kind of a greasy look, which is certainly the shea butter. I might just use less of it next time. My hair does enjoy shea butter in very small amounts.
    Out of the Alaffia Beautiful Curls line, I liked the Wavy/Curly leave-in the best. Using it alone after shampoo/conditioner gave me great clumping, hold, and frizz control that I wanted. It does have that weird residue feeling, but didn't find that it built up or anything - it always washed out clean.

Hmm...I don't know why I don't go back to this.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    edited December 2017
    I was in a rut for a while, but using tea spray on my scalp to reduce hair fall gave me my mojo back. (It is so effective, and so quickly!) I would like experiment when developing an all over hair pre-poo with tea, marshmallow root, and other herbs to see if I can eliminate dry combing before washing. I think combing is contributing to some minor frizz I have, so I want to get back to detangling in the shower without it taking too long.

I also want to get back to working out a homemade flax-seed gel.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 9,869Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Oh my gosh! I keep hearing about this one! curl junkie spiral lotion curl creme  
    I am going to have to try it! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,292Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    gretchen -- i think you would like the cj spiral lotion as it definitely adds volume, especially on the 2nd day.    
    marsha recommended using a gel for hold and i find that it works well when i use cj pattern pusha alone or with a bit of crab mixed in (the combo was recommended on cj facebook page).  
    i use a leave in first because my white hair cannot cannot cannot retain moisture, LOL!  seems to be more porous, altho most of my head is normal porosity and drying time (4 hrs) indicates normal also.?????  
     i'm still trying different ways to find the best way for my hair, but it definitely adds a lot to my hair.  

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • Hullacurls92Hullacurls92 Posts: 28Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I am currently trying Soultanicals line. I did a finger coil and it gave me amazing day 6 hair 😊 I am also trying to find the perfect gel for my hair! 
    Bomega, maybe I will try using the Alaffia leave-in alone and see what happens. I also had a very good hair day many moons ago by using the leave-in in lieu of my rinse-out (which is actually what the instructions on the bottle say to do). My hair seemed dry when I used only the leave-in to condition, but my hair also held up very well over the course of the following few days. So it was just a different look and feel to the hair.

I agree that the leave-in rinsed out easily...I never had tenacious build-up problems from it either.
    Tonight it was a sample that was with my last ShopNaturallyCurly order - Eden body Works Coconut Shea Cleansing CoWash . This had a really nice scent and had some slip. I would buy this. And a big tub is only $8.99.
    Eco Pro Cream Styling Gel Stuck-Up. I liked this since it is pretty similar to LA Sport Gel.

@Therese1: Yeah, my hair was dry if I used just the shampoo + leave-in. I think it worked out if I put gel over that, and the gel gave me great clumping, curl formation, and hold. However, as you know, it made my hair go limp in flat in spite of performing otherwise. But it wasn't too dry that way either. Many products in the Beautiful Curls line have magnesium sulfate, and I wonder if that is the problem. Don't know though since I think magnesium is supposed to be curl enhancing?

bomega said:
    @Therese1: Yeah, my hair was dry if I used just the shampoo + leave-in. I think it worked out if I put gel over that, and the gel gave me great clumping, curl formation, and hold. However, as you know, it made my hair go limp in flat in spite of performing otherwise. But it wasn't too dry that way either. Many products in the Beautiful Curls line have magnesium sulfate, and I wonder if that is the problem. Don't know though since I think magnesium is supposed to be curl enhancing?
    Yes, magnesium sulfate is the ingredient in the Alaffia products that is supposed to enhance curls, and it can dry some people's hair out. 
    Yesterday's experiment - I used 4 Curly Hair Solutions products. Pure Silk Protein Deep Treatment, Curl Keeper Original, Styling Cream, and Leave-In. Plus I added some Eco Pro Stuck Up gel because creams don't have the hold I like. I almost never use a leave-in plus 3 other products left in on top of that but it wasn't too producty feeling and my hair turned out well.  But not better than just using my usual Suave Conditioner and LA Looks gel so I wouldn't buy these again. 
    Today I went back to my Jessicurl Confident Coils, which I have not had much luck with in the summer and fall--it was leaving my hair limp and frizzy. So I thought: why not try it in the low dew points? It was a success! I had really nice curl definition, and my waves weren't weighed down. I'm so glad it's working again, because it is one of the few products I have found that don't have any protein-like ingredients to make my hair unhappy.
    Best Winter experiment yet...rice water rinses! I've been meaning to try this for a long time and finally got around to it. My hair and my Winter eczema prone skin are loving it!!
  • SweetRellieSweetRellie Posts: 468Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I’ve had my hair in protective styles since August and have finally taken it down because I missed my curls. I’ve implemented hair vitamins and started giving myself scalp massages with the protective styles and am hoping that I remember to continue now that my curls are loose again. 
    Thick, highly porous but protein sensitive 4a hair
    Modified Curly Girl Method

Current Staples
    Cowash/Rinse-Out: Not Your Mother’s Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower & Mango Butter Conditioner
    Shampoo: NYM Naturals Tahitian Gardenia Flower Shampoo
    DC: Shea Moisture’s Raw Shea & Cupuacu, Fruit Fusion, Superfruit Complex or Manuka Honey lines
    Leave-In: Maui Moisture's Curl Milk or Shea Butter Hair Mask
    Stylers/Creams: Maui Moisture's Curl Smoothie or Camille Rose Naturals’ Sweet Buttercream (kids line)
    Sealants: Maui Moisture's Coconut Milk Weightless Oil Mist
    Scalp Treatment: Alikay Naturals Hair & Scalp Balm; Essential 17 Growth Oil
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 620Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @BeinDeb, can you tell us more about the rice water?  What does it do?  And how do you do it?

I'm experimenting with FSG right now.  I tried it way back when I first went CG, but never did it again.  So far, it's not horrible, but it's not great either.  I tried it alone first, then over leave in.  Over LI was much better.  Today I'm going to try LI, FSG and then regular gel.  I'm off work, so no worries about wonky hair if it doesn't work out right!

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2C/3A, fine hair, low density, low porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Noughty Wave Hello Shampoo
    Deva One Condition original formula
    Dippity Do Girls with Curls Gelee (the more I use this, the more I love it!)
    Naturecat used to do rice water rinses. If you search the archive for her posts, maybe you can get more info.
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 1,083Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm trying a bunch of Deva Curl products.  Surprisingly, my hair really likes them.  They don't weigh down my hair at all.  I didn't love the One Condition Decadence when I first tried it, but now I do.  The No Poo Decadence is awesome.  I really like the B'Leave in too.  I just bought the Ultra Defining Gel.  I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm going to play with it.  The supercream works really nicely with the B'Leave in.  I didn't much care for the supercream either when I first used it.  My husband always says my hair smells nice when I use the Deva stuff. :) I'm definitely going to figure out a good routine with them.  I just wish I could get more days out my wash.  It doesn't look that great second day.  Maybe the gel will help. 
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

Guide65, I just boiled some rice and kept the water I drained off of it. I poured it in a jar and let it set out for a couple of days to ferment (fermenting is supposed to lower the ph and be better for hair/skin). I store it in the fridge.

I have a squirt bottle that I put it in when I'm ready to use it. Your'e supposed to dilute it, so I use half rice water & half distilled water.

After I wash and condition my hair, I saturate my scalp and hair with it. I let it set for a couple of minutes and then rinse it out. It makes my hair very smooth and tangles are non-existent. I then just style using whatever. It really seems to be helping me hold the moisture in, or at least longer than my highly porous hair normally does.

For my skin, I use it as a toner (also diluted). After it dries, I apply a moisturizer. It's helped my eczema tremendously, which is really amazing as we've been having sub-zero dewpoints!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file