How do I not go completely broke from all these products

hannahk215hannahk215 Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I just started the CG method and all these products ARE SO MUCH MONEY!!! what are the best budget friendly brands  

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,798Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    You don't have to spend a lot of money.  There are bargain brands out there!  For co-washing, Suave Essentials or Tresemme Perfectly Undone are good and cheap.  Tresemme can also be used as a rinse out conditioner, as well as a leave in conditioner.  If you're near a Sally's, they have a conditioning balm that makes a good rinse out/deep conditioner.  (Actually I'm not sure how much that costs...but it's Sally's, and an off brand, so it's probably not that much.)  For gel, you can get LA Looks Sports gel, it's about $3 for giant container, and you can find it anywhere.

Just be careful to read the ingredients.  Not all the products of these brands are CG friendly.  Most of them will have silicones and sulfates, so only get the specific products that you know are good for CG.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • JulianaKMGJulianaKMG Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cantu and Maui Moisture are both brands that are CG friendly, cheap, and can be found at target, cvs, walmart, and more! 
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    <3 I love the Tresemme Perfectly Undone Condtioner <3

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,706Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Yes there are lots of inexpensive easy to find products out there. You just have to read ingredients and experiment!  I buy more pricey things for fun once in awhile but for the last 13 years I've basically been using Suave Coconut Conditioner, VO5 Kiwi Lime Conditioner, and LA Looks Sport Gel. That's it. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree that there are a lot of expensive products out here. Many of those brands though are small, individually owned companies and I understand that using quality ingredients is expensive, and smaller companies don't have the trade levels that multi-nationals have. So they have to have buy raw materials at a higher price, then sell for a higher profit margin only to still make overall less profit. What is really annoying to me is how the conglomerates have finally figured out the there is a marketspace here with curly haired people, but keep producing products marketed to curly haired people that are designed for straight hair (or straightening hair. :s).

I have certain sensitivities, and cannot use many of the inexpensive products. So, I have figured out some things that I can use which are a little spendy, and am trying to come up with DIY solutions for others.

However, there are many affordable options. Do you know what your hair properties are (porosity, hair width, density to a lesser degree)? If you can figure that out and let us know, we can recommend some inexpensive products for you.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file