The New F Word

RazanARazanA Posts: 14Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Frizz. I hate it. I hate it so much. Never in my life have I been as frustrated as these past few months trying to figure out what the heck my hair wants. It's 3b, low porosity, medium fine. 

No matter what I do, I get frizz. I used a leave in, a curling cream, and a gel and tried it that way. Frizz. Took out the leave in. Frizz. Tried just gel. Frizz. Diffuse on warm. Frizz. Diffuse on high heat. Frizz. Diffuse with cold air. Frizz. Air dry. Frizz. 

Frizz, frizz, frizz!!!! So frustrating!!!

I know all the little quirky tips about eliminating frizz (sulfate free shampoo only twice a week, leave conditioner in the shower for 5 minutes, use a cotton t shirt to scrunch dry instead of rubbing hair with a towel, apply products when hair is really wet, section off hair and apply well, etc.) I have every kind of light oil under the sun (argan, grapeseed, jamaican black castor, avocado, apricot kernel, sunflower seed, hemp seed, sweet almond oil, tea tree oil). I deep condition with shea moisture strengthen, grow and restore masque once a week and do a hot oil treatment once a week as well. I don't use a brush, just finger detangle and sometimes use a wide tooth comb if it's pretty tangled. I just trimmed it last night so no split ends. There' is hardly ever product build up because I make sure to clarify well.  I wear a hijab so it doesn't get damaged from outside pollution/environment. 

As you can see, I pretty much know it all. At this point, I've watched nearly every single youtube video on maintaining natural curly hair, I've read every single article and bought so many products. I really can't afford to spend any more money on products and oils I think I've spent close to 300 dollars in the past few months just on hair products. 

I use sheamoisture products (shampoo and low porosity conditioner). and the treatment masque to DC. I used to use the sheamoisture leave in and then stopped because I heard it was too heavyI hear Ouidad and Deva Curl and Aunt Jackie's are good as well. I just can't afford to keep experimenting and trying every line from every company!! 

Is it the products I'm using? Or the method I use to air dry? I've used the praying hands method, the shingling method, the scrunching to apply products. To diffuse, I've used every kind of heat setting, and the pixie girl. So trust me when I say, I've pretty much tried it all!!!! Unless there is some secret that someone can tell me on what the heck I can do, I really might just shave it all off soon. I'm so frustrated with it. It's brought me to tears a few times. 

Please help!!

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    I can't stand frizz also, and as I'm currently unemployed and looking for work so I need good hair, but can't afford expensive experiments. So I feel your pain. I'm still working on completely eliminating it, but I've found a few things you didn't mention that seem to minimize it:

1) You say you have medium fine, low porosity hair. Fine low porosity hair has a hard time maintaining moisture, and benefits from daily washing. It also can handle daily washing because fine hair can't absorb as much water as other hair, so it is less likely to suffer from hygral fatigue. So, I wash daily with a low-poo and use a conditioner suitable for the weather (see my sig.) It's possible the classic curly-girl method is not doing you any favors like the rest of us fine lo-po haired people, and might want to consider trying daily washing until you get a workable routine down. (This would be called modified curly-girl). If daily shampoo/conditioner isn't for you, you could at least try experimenting with a refresh routine that gets your hair wet daily, perhaps combined with a night-time routine of applying a small amount of oil.

2) I use a cotton t-shirt to dry, but I don't scrunch. But rather I smooth it down the length of my hair to squeeze the water out. This seems to minimize frizz and improve clumping for me. It comes at this expense of some loosening of my curl, which is not ideal for me, but a trade-off I'm willing to live with until I figure out a better solution.

3) I tried Giovanni Direct Leave-In followed by Giovanni LA Natural Gel, (then air-dry) and it completely eliminated frizz gave good clumping...overall a good look. This would be the solution for me except I can't stand the feeling of the gel in my hair. (I think its the vp/va copolymer) This will work for a day when I need reliable hair (job interview, party, etc.) but not for daily use. If you wanted to try this, these products are available in a sample size at stores like Whole Foods, so it wouldn't be too expensive to try.

4) A lot of people use homemade flax seed gel with great results. I had a couple experiments that didn't work, but I have some ideas I still want to try before I give up on this. This would be a very inexpensive experiment if you wanted to try. There is a 40+ page thread about making it here on nc.com if you wanted idea.

5) What are your dews like? Products with glycerin and other humectants can promote frizz especially in high relative humidity. I live in an area with ideal dews, but it still happens to me sometimes. Might be worth checking your products to see if this might be an issue.

6) You said you were a hijab. Do you think is possible the material is contributing to the frizz factor? If you think so, you could try lining it with silk.

7) Finally, its possible you just need to clarify and deep treat. Often hair that doesn't behave just has build-up. You can use a cheap sulfate shampoo to clarify - be sure to follow with a proper deep treatment.

Just a few ideas... ;)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Thank-you for this reply, bomega. I realize that it was directed to RazanA, yet I found it very helpful for dealing with my own hair.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Great answer @bomega

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have fine curly hair too.  I found the Shea Moisture products were too heavy for me, but somehow I still love ended up with frizz.

What do you use to clarify?  It may not actually clarIfy enough, or it may be too strong.

You may also have damaged hair from the hijab if it is not silky and need some protein.  Also it could be damaged from the hair dryer.  Even if you use a diffuser the heat can still damage the hair.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would try another line besides SM. Shea butter can create undesirable effects in some people's hair. I have tried some Ouidad products and did find that they were very moisturizing and great for cutting frizz; if you get them at Ulta, you can return them if they don't work out. I would see if any of the places where you bought your previous products will take returns on opened product if you are not satisfied. Many places accept such returns.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I have fine curly hair too.  I found the Shea Moisture products were too heavy for me, but somehow I still love ended up with frizz.

What do you use to clarify?  It may not actually clarIfy enough, or it may be too strong.

You may also have damaged hair from the hijab if it is not silky and need some protein.  Also it could be damaged from the hair dryer.  Even if you use a diffuser the heat can still damage the hair.
    @WavyKfromNJ, I'm a fine curly and the Shea Moisture doesn't play nice with my hair either, it left a coated feeling that I could only remove by clarifying. I am still experimenting with hair products and at the moment I am having good results with the Ouidad Curl Quencher Moisturinzing Shampoo and Conditioner. I do dilute both beforehand because it is recommended for tight curls. This is working well and leaves my hair feeling soft and frizz free, without buildup. 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    My experience with Shea Moisture was different. I am type 2c, fine, low-porosity. Ages ago, I went from using Giovanni Shampoo and Conditioner (50:50 Balanced, then the Magnetic formulas) which was ok but drying. Then I discovered the Shea Moisture Coconut Hibiscus Shampoo, Conditioner, and Styling Milk and it gave me *exactly* the hair I was looking for. But then I knew my hair always liked silk protein. This was the first formula in 15 years that I found that 1) had silk protein 2) didn't have a bunch of junk I didn't want like silicones, and 3) I could afford.

I used it for a little over a year until I started coloring my hair with henna and could no longer take the protein. I gave my remaining product to my friend and she and her husband both liked it Both are type 3 curlies. I never got close enough to either of their hair to tell other properties, but I would guesstimate that she is medium or maybe coarse width, and he is fine to medium width based on what it looks like, and both low porosity due to no chemical treatments.

I've been thinking about trying the Shea Moisture Low Porosity line for some time. It has glycerin in it, and I wonder if that is what gives people trouble. I know the majority of the US deals with the extremes in dews - not good for humectants in products. I live in an area with ideal dews (I don't mean to brag ;)) so less of a problem for me. (Although even in my ideal dews, I think I would avoid glycerin in the summer.)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file