Products to make my hair curl a bit tighter?

MS21MS21 Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So im mixed, white dad, dominican mom(She is more black than white). I think my hair is about a 2C, maybe a 3A. I'm growing it longer for the first time since I was a little kid (when I had big curls). My hair grows initially straight, and takes a long time to start curling (around 2 inches, which I havent done since I was like 5), I'm currently around 3 inches in length I think.

I've never really used any special products, and honestly, don't even really condition my hair. Just use head and shoulders. And recently started using a ReDavid Orchid Oil thing which is supposed to nourish and also minimize frizz.  I don't "style" it and don't comb/brush it. I just run my fingers threw it from front to back when I'm towel drying it post-shower. It ends up setting like how you see in the pictures.

I would love my curls to be a little bit smaller/tighter, like 2 letters curlier type of thing, so if im 3A i'd like 3C.
So I'm just here to ask if anyone knows any products/techniques that could help tighten my curls a bit.

Also... I haven't gotten my sides faded in a while so don't roast me for that :D , going on Saturday. 

Answers

• TeenCurlyGuyTeenCurlyGuy Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Firstly, I want to say that you have really nice curls. So, you might not want to hear this, but the tightness or loosness of your curls as they grow is pretty much genetically predetermined and can't be changed. It's normal for looser textures to grow in pretty straight at first, then start curling at 2-3 inches long. You use a 2 in 1 shampoo  and conditioner? While this may be the easiest route and your hair doesn't seem to be suffering that much, products like these really don't do any good for curly hair. Curly hair is naturally dry, so even if a product says it cleans and moisturizes at the same time, while this may work for straight hair (even then, not always), curly hair needs the moisture boost from conditioner. Products like these also usually contain sulfates, which are harsh detergants that dry out your hair and make it frizz and lose definition. Your hair looks really good, so I would recommend simply a sulfate free shampoo and a cheap conditioner. You don't have to go all out and buy the most expensive vegan product; for example, Aussie Moist comes in this huge bottle and you get a lot of bang for your buck. (It's only like around $5 and you get 29.5 fluid ounces) As for the shampoo, just read the ingredients and make sure you don't see anything with the word "sulfate" at the end. As for how often you wash your hair, it's really trial and error. For that oil that you use, I'd say keep using it if your hair likes it. Oh, and don't dry your hair with a towel. The rough fibres in towels wreck havoc on curly hair, causing frizz, drying out your hair, and in the worst cases, split ends and breakage. (Unless it is a microfibre towel...) If you don't want to wait for your hair to air dry, take an old cotton t-shirt and don't rub, but gently blot the excess water from your hair. Back to your question... There really isn't any way to make your hair grow out of your head tighter, however, if you start conditioning your hair regularly, your curls may surprise you. And by the way, don't listen to those products that say they can 'change your curl pattern', I am going to be blunt with you, that is a total lie. Unless you use chemicals that can seriously harm your hair and lead to permanet hair loss, there isn't any way to alter your curls the way they naturally grow. Embrace them! They already look great and they'll look even better if you start conditioning them. I used to not like my curls, but I wanted the opposite, looser curls. Eventually, I have come to love and enjoy what I was given! I promise you, your hair will thank you. I am sorry if I seem harsh, I just want you to have your best hair, and you're already halfway there. 

I hope this helps! :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file