What steps should i take next or to adjust and alter my current routine?

Fatimai81Fatimai81 Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi<br>I have 2c-3a hair. But I'm not sure if that is important or not.&nbsp;<br><br>As of right now it's been maybe two-three months since I started using products to define my waves and curls. I've been using a no poo shampoo for a while now.&nbsp;<br><br>However, I still have a long way to go since I'm not getting the results I want or I'm halfway there.&nbsp;<br><br>As for my hair, &nbsp;I have waves underneath but I feel these can turn into tighter curls if i properly care for them. The top of my hair can't decide whether it wants to be curly, frizzy, undefined or even straight. It's like a mixture of all three. And I do have some strands that have a single bend in them.<br><br>I feel that I also have Botticelli curls. Also, some strands do form ringlets at the mid to bottom section of a clump or strand. The top of my hair at the roots and down a little bit is really flat and straight but I'm thinking that might be because of the turbie twist that I use.&nbsp;<br><br>The products I use are the Shea moisture moisture infusion shampoo. And carol's daughter sacred tiare conditioner. I comb my hair at this point with a wide tooth comb and rinse all of the conditioner out. Then I part my hair in the middle and rinse each side with cold water.&nbsp;<br><br>I pat or press in a little more than a quarter size of Aveda's be curly, curl enhancing cream. I don't rake in the product. I then use my turbie twist to scrunch my hair and absorb excess water and product. I then twist the towel up and let my hair sit for a short while.&nbsp;<br><br>I've used acv spray with water once to clarify. And I use a deep conditioner once a week.<br><br>I've done two DIY protein treatments in the last two weeks I believe, and I liked the results the second time around.&nbsp;<br><br>Oh and I also only wash my hair twice a week.&nbsp;<br><br>I use a silk pillow case but whether or not i pineapple my hair, I still don't get the results I want for second or third day hair. My hair just gets frizzy, &nbsp;tangly and unmanageable as the week goes on. Since I wear a hijab, when I go out I just put it in a loose bun or seem not to care. However, even if only I can see it I'd still like it to be nice, defined and tame lol.&nbsp;<br><br>I hope I didn't annoy you guys with the length of this post and if you got down here I'm truly grateful for your time in reading this and helping me out, should you wish to do so. :smile: I hope all of you guys reading this have a wonderful curly hair day/week or month :smiley: and I can't wait to receive your feedback.&nbsp;<br><br>&lt;3

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Do you know if the Aveda product has silicones?  I'm not familiar with that one, but Aveda in general isn't CG friendly.  If you're no-pooing, that won't remove silicones in your hair. 

You probably need a hard hold gel instead of a curl enhancer.  It'll dry crunchy, which nobody likes, but after it's dry you can scrunch your hair until it's nice and soft, and then it should hold your curls through the day and even into following days.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Libby_Libby_ Posts: 26Registered Users Curl Novice
    congrats for starting. starting your curly hair journey! Time and trial and error will help a lot! i would definitely check to see of your products are free of silicones, these can weigh down your hair since they cant get washed out without sulfates. also how are you putting your hair up in your turbie twist? wrapping it the way they suggest can cuase your hair to flatten and loose deifinition. plopp[ing might be beneficial to get more definition at your roots. (you can find videos to show you if this doesnt make sense) Pile all of your hair on top of your head before placing the turbie teist over it, that way when you twist the end and tuck it back, there is no hair being twisted, all of your hair should be on top of your head. https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop 
    Here's and article that was posted on plopping with a tshirt! It doesn't work for everyone but its definitely worth a try! 
    Also i wear my hair in a bun frequently and the way i refresh it afterwards is i just spray it with water in a spray bottle and brush my hands over the frizzy pieces, then I scrunch it with damp hands or a little gel or cream if its extra stubborn that day! Hope this helps make your journey a little easier! There are also a lot of posts on hear about products that are curly girl friendly so I'd suggest giving those a read :)
    Curly Girl as of December 2015
    2B/C Waves
    normal/high porosity
    current hair routine: 
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture coconut and Habiscus
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Cowash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Habiscus 
    Styling Cream: DevaCurl Styling cream
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel or
     LA Looks Gel (Yellow)
    plop 30 minutes
    air dry or diffuse on low heat and power
     Just got a "big chop" after going through a phase of occasionally heat styling again for a few months 
  • Fatimai81Fatimai81 Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Do you know if the Aveda product has silicones?  I'm not familiar with that one, but Aveda in general isn't CG friendly.  If you're no-pooing, that won't remove silicones in your hair. 

You probably need a hard hold gel instead of a curl enhancer.  It'll dry crunchy, which nobody likes, but after it's dry you can scrunch your hair until it's nice and soft, and then it should hold your curls through the day and even into following days.
    Ooh I'm not too sure about using a gel but I agree with you that it wrong hold my curls longer.  I'll try and see if that helps. 

Here are the ingredients for the aveda curl enhancer:

Water\Aqua\Eau , Cetearyl Alcohol , Cetyl Alcohol , Phenyl Trimethicone , Linum Usitatissimum (Linseed) Seed Extract , Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract , Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice , Behentrimonium Chloride , Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein , Panthenol , Quaternium-95 , Polyquaternium-11 , Glycerin , Tocopherol , Propanediol , Fragrance (Parfum) , Geraniol , Linalool , Amyl Cinnamal , Citronellol , Limonene , Maltodextrin , Phenoxyethanol <ILN38302>

I know the quats mean something but it's going off the top of my head at the moment.

Thanks for your help! I'll try to see and utilize your suggestions. Hopefully, I can update this thread with results. 

Guide 65 said:

Do you have any recommendations on gels too, btw? 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Phenyl Trimethicone is a silicone. Silicones aren't necessarily bad, but they require the use of a sulfate shampoo to remove, and sulfates are drying. So do one more shampoo with a regular shampoo, then stop using the Aveda product.

You can find LA Looks Sports Gel (the blue one) almost anywhere (in the US), and it's super cheap, so if it doesn't work you're not out a lot of money.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

congrats for starting. starting your curly hair journey! Time and trial and error will help a lot! i would definitely check to see of your products are free of silicones, these can weigh down your hair since they cant get washed out without sulfates. also how are you putting your hair up in your turbie twist? wrapping it the way they suggest can cuase your hair to flatten and loose deifinition. plopp[ing might be beneficial to get more definition at your roots. (you can find videos to show you if this doesnt make sense) Pile all of your hair on top of your head before placing the turbie teist over it, that way when you twist the end and tuck it back, there is no hair being twisted, all of your hair should be on top of your head. https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/to-plop-or-not-to-plop 
    Here's and article that was posted on plopping with a tshirt! It doesn't work for everyone but its definitely worth a try! 
    Also i wear my hair in a bun frequently and the way i refresh it afterwards is i just spray it with water in a spray bottle and brush my hands over the frizzy pieces, then I scrunch it with damp hands or a little gel or cream if its extra stubborn that day! Hope this helps make your journey a little easier! There are also a lot of posts on hear about products that are curly girl friendly so I'd suggest giving those a read :)
    Thank you! It's been a long time coming lol  you're right, it really is about trial and error. I think all my products are silicone free. I use carols daughter and Shea moisturie mostly. The aveda product I'm going to look into more. 

I tried putting my hair into the turbie twist as you suggested but I don't think I was doing it wrong then I tried plopping with a T-shirt but ended up taking that out too. I just let it air drythen. 

I also used the ginger mint clarifying shampoo by Shea moisture, used a leave in conditioner, and raked in a curl cream by the brand alaffia and I think a combination of these things helped my curls be less frizzy and more defined. I did this all yesterday and amazingly my curls lasted today too. So I guess I did something right :)

Thanks for your help! And sorry for replying so late. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file