Products for silver hair?

MyrnaMyrna Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Do you use them?  if so which ones and how often?  Yesterday I used a shampoo for silver hair - Shiny Silver - and my hair was amazing.  But, it has ALS in it....

Comments

• ellajellaj Curl Virtuoso Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Hi, Myrna. I use Jhirmack Silver Brightening Ageless Shampoo. I like it because it doesn't have the chemical smell that some of the other violet shampoos have. For me, using it once a month seems to keep my silvers bright, any more than that and it can be drying. 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• SpiralliSpiralli Curl Connoisseur Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I am truly envious of the grey curlies I see here and IRL that have no yellowing issues with their hair!

I totally went off the deep end and tried Oribe Silverati conditioner and shampoo.  It's stupidly expensive.  It's not purple, it's a grayish/silver color.  The sad part for my wallet is that it works better on my hair than any of the purple stuff I've previously used; I've used 5-6 other purple shampoos and conditioners in prior years. I usually CO-wash, so I started with the conditioner.  It helps, but since this conditioner takes its turn with about 6-7 other conditioners I use in weekly rotation, I'm probably not getting maximum results from it, but I still see a slight difference. When I added the Silverati shampoo once every other week, I saw an improvement at this point in the yellowish color my hair has. Both products don't leave my hair as dried out looking/feeling as the purple items I used before.  A little bit of the shampoo goes a long way, so I'm pretty sure that 1 bottle will last me close to a year.  The conditioner I will go through more quickly but will probably use maybe 2 tubes per year due to rotating.  The price tag for this stuff majorly blows my general rule never to pay more than $2.00 per ounce for any of my hair products.  I don't need to repurchase either one yet, so I'll see how things go...

If anyone is considering trying the Silverati products, try to get a sample if you can (Oribe didn't offer samples when I contacted them), or make sure that you can return them if you don't like them.  I know that some department stores carry Oribe products so definitely check out return policies.  

I talked to my HD about trying to color correct the yellow in my hair and she told me that it could be several steps in the process to get it to  my liking, and it may need further toning after the first try.  She told me that if I could afford the Silverati products it might be worth a try if I like them, and I would probably end up ahead of the game on an overall cost basis.  Which is what intrigued me to try them in the first place.

My son and husband both commented at different points that my hair's "yellow content" was improving (i.e., looking less yellow).  They didn't know that I started using the Silverati stuff.   They never commented about seeing a difference when I used the purple shampoos and conditioners.   
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • ellajellaj Curl Virtuoso Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I had no idea that this product even existed, Spiralli. After reading your post I did a little research on the Oribe Silverati Shampoo and Conditioner and I have to say that I am intrigued by the reviews. Your own experience was enough to convince me to consider possibly trying them for myself. I agree, it is up there on the price range, but heck, I used to spend way more money on salon visits when I was coloring my hair.  Yellowing is sometimes a problem for me, but my hair was naturally light golden brown before the graying started. I think what I perceive as yellowing may just be what is left of my natural pigmented hair. Nevertheless, the Oribe shampoo and conditioner, albeit pricey, could be worth a try. I think a little would go a long way, making it manageable, price-wise. 

For those who, like me, had not yet heard of Oribe, here is a link. I hope it is okay to post links.

http://www.oribe.com/silverati.html

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Curl Virtuoso Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ^I never heard of that product either. The price about gives me a heart attack but I might give it a splurge and give it a try.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SpiralliSpiralli Curl Connoisseur Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^I never heard of that product either. The price about gives me a heart attack but I might give it a splurge and give it a try.
    Yes!  I totally agree about the price.  And I know it may not be worth it for everyone so again I highly recommend only purchasing where you can easily/cheaply return it after trying if you're not pleased.  
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • rbbrbb Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited November 2017
    i'm still using ardell red/gold corrector in my conditioner.  since i mostly wash with cj daily fix i find i don't need to use the ardell any more frquently than once a month. and because i use the conditoner i want it does not dry out my hair.
    back when i tried some other products there was one that i had a bad reaction to, itchy, rash.  

if any others decide to use the oribe, please post your results here.  thanks!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Curl Virtuoso Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ^ I also use the red-gold corrector once a month or so. All of the other products for grey hair were so drying and my hair hated them.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    rbb said:
    i'm still using ardell red/gold corrector in my conditioner.  since i mostly wash with cj daily fix i find i don't need to use the ardell any more frquently than once a month. and because i use the conditoner i want it does not dry out my hair.
    back when i tried some other products there was one that i had a bad reaction to, itchy, rash.  

if any others decide to use the oribe, please post your results here.  thanks!
    rbb, I am wondering if the product that caused your bad reaction was http://www.sallybeauty.com/clairol-shimmer-lights-original-conditioning-shampoo-for-blonde-and-silver/CLAIRL3,default,pd.html

This brand almost took my breath away, the scent was so strong and chemically. It also caused itchiness on my scalp and the tops of my ears.

• rbbrbb Curl Connoisseur Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited November 2017
    yes, it was the clairol shimmer lights!  my scalp, neck and shoulders (as i used this in shower so some water ran down) itched like crazy!!  

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    rbb said:
    yes, it was the clairol shimmer lights!  my scalp, neck and shoulders (as i used this in shower so some water ran down) itched like crazy!!  
    I had a strong suspicion that this might be the case. I gave up hair dye because of the toxic ingredients.  The dye left my hair and scalp in terrible condition, not to mention my eyes stinging very time I applied it. When I used the Shimmer lights it appeared to cause the same reaction.

I understand that many people use the Shimmer Lights and have none of these reactions, so I apologize if anyone is annoyed with me for saying all of this. On the other hand, if there are others using it and then wondering why they have symptoms, then it may help.

I did try the Oribe Silverati conditioner. It wasn't drying but I didn't notice that it helped with yellowing and the price is off putting so I wouldn't buy it again. I did just buy another tube of red/gold corrector that will last a couple years. 
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Curl Virtuoso Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    This looks a like it would help and is a little less damaging to both your hair & wallet.

https://www.sephora.com/product/bust-your-brass-cool-blonde-shampoo-P419705?skuId=1957497&icid2=products grid:p419705

I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if it works well or not, but it does not have SLS or ALS.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    Thanks @WavyKfromNJ ;  That's still about 10 times what my regular conditioner costs (including some red/gold corrector added)  but I'm adding it to my list of things to try!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file