No hair movement/ Dry hair when I wake up

itsyaboiajayitsyaboiajay Posts: 23Registered Users Curl Novice
So I am having trouble trying to get some form of movement in my hair. With my hair, I can't flip it to the left or right if I wanted to, and when it dries after I wash it there is still no movement even if I shake my head. I'm not sure if it has something to do with my hair porosity cause I have low porosity so it's hard to get moisture in it. Also, every time I wash my hair it's soft but when I go to sleep and wake up in the morning it's SUPER dry (so dry it's even HARDER to get some form of moisture in it to detangle). What products should I consider using to help these issues?

Comments

• GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 308Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    What is your routine after you Shampoo. It would help to know how you are caring for/styling your hair. 

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
  • itsyaboiajayitsyaboiajay Posts: 23Registered Users Curl Novice
    Well usually after I'm done washing I condition with Apple Cider Vinegar, then use the shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 308Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ACV is not very conditioning. Try going without it the next few washes and see if your hair improves. 

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
    I've laid off the ACV for a while but my hair still is super dry in the morning and has no movement :( even when my hair is wet my hair is dry/poofy. I use to use the Avanti Silicon Mix Hair Treatment until I ran out but that never really helped with hair accept just make it thicker (maybe a little too thick XD) 
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    So what are you using to condition your hair in place of ACV? What are you using for shampoo and how often do you wash your hair? Also, you said you have low porosity hair, but what is your hair width?
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    RIght now for Shampoo, I'm using Cream of Nature (I don't know which one but I can check later). I don't really shampoo often, probably about 2 a month, I mainly just use conditioner. And for Conditioner I'm using the Avanti Silicon Mix Hair Treatment.I just ran out of that so I need to order more products. And I have no idea what my hair width is
    The Avanti Silicon Mix is not doing you any favors. It is loaded with mineral oil and silicones both of which are coating and build up. Then the shampoo you are using, depending on which, one at a minimum isn't removing it (the sulfate-free one is too gentle to remove those types of build-up) or adding cones (and quats) to the mix. Now if you want to stick with the Avanti Silicon Mix you need to start using a real sulfate shampoo, which over time can be harsh to curly hair (all hair really.) Some people's hair can take it, but the CG-Method is to avoid damaging products for overall hair health.

In any case, you need to start by clarifying the buildup. You can use any old sulfate shampoo that doesn't have silicones in it (V05 Normal Shampoo is the cheapest at Walmart).

Then follow with a deep treatment which can be as simple as using a regular conditioner and leaving it on your hair for 30 minutes (bonus if with a heat cap). Try V05 Pomegranate Conditioners (this one is protein free which low-po hair appreciates) or Suave Essentials Tropical Coconut (this one has silk protein which your hair may like). Not all the Suave conditioners are 'cone free so check the ingredients if you want to get a different Suave. BTW, when I use the Suave Coconut to deep treat, I add a few drops of coconut oil for extra conditioning, and I don't find it strong enough.

After that, find another conditioner to co-wash with. The Suave Coconut and V05 from above would do if they work for you. The AsIAm Coconut Cowash is very popular and available at Target.

Start with that then see how your hair is doing. To figure out stylers, the hair width will make a big difference. But you can start with finding a leave-in and maybe a gel/curl cream (neither with silicones!) and go from there.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

• Hullacurls92Hullacurls92 Posts: 28Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sorry if this has already been asked but what is your hair type? And I have heard from many that ACV is a great clarifier!! 
    My hair type is 3c/4a low porosity 
    Sorry if this has already been asked but what is your hair type? And I have heard from many that ACV is a great clarifier!! 
    ACV does a fair job of removing emollient buildup and supposely will remove hard water buildup (but it didn't for me.) However, it will not remove silicones. She needs a sulfate to do that. C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate will also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file