product suggestions please

sunflower22sunflower22 Posts: 4Registered Users Curl Neophyte
my hair is 2c/3a, fine, high density, and normal porosity. my curls don't really like to form with the only CG-safe product i have, which is sheamoisture's curl enhancing smoothie. whenever i scrunch it into soaking wet, clumped curls, it makes them fall apart, and i have a mess of some curly hairs and mostly frizz on my head. i'm just a teenage girl with a low budget, so i can't afford anything crazy, but i'd love for any cheap, CG-approved products that i could get at sally's or walmart.

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,949Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair may not like the shea butter.  Since you have fine hair, I would suggest a gel instead of something heavy like a cream or a butter.  LA Looks Sports Gel (the blue kind) is CG friendly, cheap (really cheap!!) and easy to find just about anywhere in the US.  Another gel I've heard good things about is Herbal Essences Totally Twisted gel. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,552Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't have any recommendations, but since you are concerned about price, I just want to make sure that you know that if you don't like something you get from Sally's, you can take it back and get a refund. I don't know whether Walmart is like that.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Libby_Libby_ Posts: 26Registered Users Curl Novice
    I would definitely suggest LA Looks Gel, the blue one, as well! I have had terrible luck with Shea Moistures Curling Smoothie as well, it does nothing for me other than make my hair look dirty and greasy but I LOVE their shampoos and conditioners. One thing to make sure you do is clarify prior to starting CG since sulfate is required to eliminate silicones. Left over silicones can prevent your hair from getting the necessary moisture and can create buildup and limp curls. The la looks gell works great and is only a fre dollars at walmart, at least where I'm at. Also have you tried plopping or diffusing? This can help your curls dry and encourage good curl definition. Also looking into a few wavy haired you tubers could be beneficial as well!  I'd suggest RockyCurls, the Polished Curl, CurlyPenny, and India Batson! They all show some great techniques that would be worth trying out and also they try out lots of different products at all different price points! I 22 and have been following the CG method for about 2 years now. It's definitely worth it but its a lot of trial an error. It helps to do research and find cult favorites that work with those who have hair types similar to yours! Just keep in mind, if it works for them, it still might not work for you. I have watched hundreds of YouTube videos and read as many articles on here as I could when i started, and i still do. Luckily, you can make CG as simple or complicated as you'd like and there's products in all price ranges so don't feel Discouraged by a low budget! Do research and try things out. 
    Curly Girl as of December 2015
    2B/C Waves
    normal/high porosity
    current hair routine: 
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture coconut and Habiscus
    CoWash: As I Am Coconut Cowash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Coconut and Habiscus 
    Styling Cream: DevaCurl Styling cream
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel or
     LA Looks Gel (Yellow)
    plop 30 minutes
    air dry or diffuse on low heat and power
     Just got a "big chop" after going through a phase of occasionally heat styling again for a few months 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file