Growing out a curly pixie...seriously need help with it...

VandyVandy Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Sorry this is so long, I hope someone will help me with my hair...

So I’ve been growing my pixie out for about a month now (please don’t tell me to wait longer). While straight, the front is about 6 inches, top and back of hair is about 3 ish to 4 inches. Curly just looks like a ball of curls on my head. I’ve been considering getting a keratin treatment and/or a relaxer and then get some extensions that go down to about my mid neck so I can ignore growing and cutting hair constantly. 

I really would love to wear my hair curly but i have constantly been judged all my life with it. Right before the big natural hair thing happened, I got made fun of so hard, I cut my hair up to my neck and straightened it constantly. My hair is healthy, not chemically altered or anything but it looks so crispy and bad when I dry it with a diffuser. I can’t really use anything super expensive as of yet. 

I have never ever really been able to find a style at all that’ll suit me. I have an oval face and people say any style goes with it but I beg to differ.  I’ll try to post some pictures of the hair. I could really use all the help and advice I can get cause I’ve never had any help whatsoever with my hair.

I don’t know what my hair type is. It’s a strong curl on top of the head. The bottom back, and around my head is curly but wavy and limp on the ends. I guess like a 2c to 3c? It’s not coarse at all, it’s fine hair. Prone to dryness and can get very frizzy. The picture is my hair with a little bit of curly product in it like either the multi cultural curls product or ion curl gel spray stuff. It’s crunchy and unmanageable. The back constantly curls upward. It’s never defined and clumped, it’s straggly. My hair is a big part of my confidence and personality and I want it to look good so I’ll feel comfortable. I’ve constantly been made fun of cause of it even at my age now. I could really use a bit of elk and advice. 

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 585Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think it looks bad at all. It looks like that cool girl carefree look. It also looks to be about 2b/c in the pics. You can do as you like with your hair and what fits your lifestyle. A keratin treatment will still need to be grown out if you ever want to wear your natural texture. Your hair may not be long enough for extensions yet; I'm not a hairdresser so that may be completely inaccurate. You could try to find more moisturizing products in the meantime and let the waves do as they like. You can also look up how other people grow out their pixies (even if they're straight haired... I think Jennifer Lawrence had a nice grow out period for inspiration. Halle Berry may be another inspiration because your hair reminds me of hers. I think she has a bit shorter but the same kind of wave going on). Best of luck!
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,328Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i love your hair!   i agree with brittany m, you would have to then grow out the keratin treatment.  

and i agree about finding more moisturizing products and letting your hair do want it wants.   when i first went curly i had a short cut which i had to grow out for about 6 months before i could even get a deva cut.  however, the first week into using the curly girl method, even tho my hair was short, i kept getting compliments from both men and women alike.

i think we are very critical of our own hair.  i know i can be having what i think of as a bad hair day and almost always some stranger compliments my hair.    

also, do you know your hair properties --- texture and porosity?  that will help with selecting the right products.  get better products and let it grow!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,507Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I love our hair and love the cut. Ditto what others said. We tend to be too critical of ourselves and worry far too much about what other think.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,496Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I think it's really cute!  And I agree with the others; don't worry about what others think. It's what YOU think that matters! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file