On most days, how to do dry your hair?

GretchenGretchen AdministratorPosts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

On most days, how to do dry your hair?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Other (tell us about it!)
    I clip the top of my hair for lift and air dry for a half hour or more, then I use a pancake diffuse and dry my hair upside down for just a few minutes to give my hair volume and to dry it the rest of the way. 

--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ^ Sorry about the gigantic photo. I tried making it smaller and it just ended up more enormous! : ) 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I airdry for about an hour then use a sock diffuser to finish off and dry completely.
    3b in South Australia.
  • RafterBatRafterBat Posts: 182Registered Users Curl Novice
    Air dry
    It's an all-or-nothing deal for me: If I try to combine air-drying and blow-drying I end up with stringy waves that look as though I haven't washed my hair in far too long. Most days I air-dry completely after using Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha. If I want more curl and volume, I use Deva's Volumizing Foam without a LI and diffuse to about 90% dry. For reference, my hair is about APL unstretched, layered a tiny bit at the ends.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    CJ Daily Fix and Smoothing Conditioner; then Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    RafterBat said:
    It's an all-or-nothing deal for me: If I try to combine air-drying and blow-drying I end up with stringy waves that look as though I haven't washed my hair in far too long. Most days I air-dry completely after using Beauticurls and Pattern Pusha. If I want more curl and volume, I use Deva's Volumizing Foam without a LI and diffuse to about 90% dry. For reference, my hair is about APL unstretched, layered a tiny bit at the ends.
    How long does it take your hair to air dry?

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    air drying 99% of the time (1% combo air/diffuser with ionic dryer/diffuser).   for 100% dry, 4 hrs. i don't wash every day, mostly e/o day, sometimes more, sometimes less.  my hair would look good on 3rd day, but if it's beena sweaty time....  :-)

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Air dry
    Gretchen said:
    RafterBat said:
    About 6-8 hours to dry completely, especially at the roots at the back of my head, but it's dry enough to be socially acceptable within 2, lol. I shake like a dog after my shower, and scrunch with a t-shirt after applying the Beauticurls, so the PP goes onto damp hair as opposed to drenched.
    2c, coarse, low elasticity, medium/high density; varied porosity, protein- and coconut-sensitive
    For a deeper clean once a week, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner 
  • Gabby.VinGabby.Vin Posts: 8Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I air dry for about 3-4 hours depending on products and weather (about 80% dry) then I diffuse. If I don't have I diffuse and then air dry. On refreshing days, I damp my hair and about an hour later diffuse. I try not to diffuse longer than 10min
  • Curls80Curls80 Posts: 526Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Blow dryer with diffuser
    I usually diffuse most of the way, most of the time. In summer it’s different, but in my snowy winter climate, I’m not going outside with wet hair. 
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Air dry
    Another vote for air drying. I wrap my hair in a T-shirt after washing and conditioning and leave it for 30 minutes, then I finger comb and let it dry. My hair is fine so it doesn't take long to dry at all. 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

RafterBat said:
    Gretchen said:
    RafterBat said:
    About 6-8 hours to dry completely, especially at the roots at the back of my head, but it's dry enough to be socially acceptable within 2, lol. I shake like a dog after my shower, and scrunch with a t-shirt after applying the Beauticurls, so the PP goes onto damp hair as opposed to drenched.
    Wow!  

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    ellaj said:
    Another vote for air drying. I wrap my hair in a T-shirt after washing and conditioning and leave it for 30 minutes, then I finger comb and let it dry. My hair is fine so it doesn't take long to dry at all. 
    So the 30 minutes that it's inside the T-shirt... it stays pretty damp? What does the 30 minutes in the t-shirt do? 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • nycurl401nycurl401 Posts: 5Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Blow dryer with diffuser
    I can't leave the house with wet hair, it will make my hair frizzy. It's best for me to dry to the scalp this way it's locked in. This is how I style my hair daily:

• StephC79StephC79 Posts: 99Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I let my hair air dry for as long as I can before going out, then dry for about five/ten minutes just so I don't have that horrible wet look and give a bit more spring to my curls, give it a quick scrunch and let it air dry the rest of the way.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
    Air dry
    Gretchen said:
    ellaj said:
    So the 30 minutes that it's inside the T-shirt... it stays pretty damp? What does the 30 minutes in the t-shirt do? 
    Yes, Gretchen, 30 minutes in the T-shirt to absorb most of the water. What I am actually doing is plopping. It is still damp for sure, but dries quickly.

Air dry

nycurl401 said:
    I can't leave the house with wet hair, it will make my hair frizzy. It's best for me to dry to the scalp this way it's locked in. This is how I style my hair daily:

Thanks for this video, nycurl401. :)

• GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Posts: 312Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I sit under a soft bonnet dryer. My hair is thick and long though so it is never 100% dry. As long as the outside of my hair has a good cast, I'll just pineapple it into a scarf and let it air dry to 100% the next day. As a last resort I'll pull out the Devafuser. 

I asked for a hard bonnet dryer for Christmas. That should dry my hair MUCH better.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
    Air dry
    nycurl401 said:

I can't leave the house with wet hair, it will make my hair frizzy. It's best for me to dry to the scalp this way it's locked in. This is how I style my hair daily.../blockquote>

I really appreciate the tip about not moving the dryer around - thanks for sharing! Also, I love your actual cut and would like to show it to my stylist - do you have any still photos that show your style from the sides? (Or is there a way to screen cap from the video? I'm a computer idiot!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file