New site problems

Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 836Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
I thought it might be good to start a thread with issues we're having with the new website design.  There's always little things that need adjustments.

First issue I've found - when editing my profile, there's no way to back out of it.  No "cancel" button, no buttons to go anywhere except for the "save" button.  And you MUST fill in all fields in the profile, include first and last name, zip code, etc.  And all this becomes a part of your public profile.  I value my online privacy and would prefer not to display all that info.  Also, after hitting "save", there's still no buttons to go anywhere.  I had to go to the URL bar and type in a new address to get out of it.  There should be a "home" button or something.
Formerly known as Janiegirl
2C/3A, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
Current products:
Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo
Innersense Color Radiance Conditioner
Innersense I Create Volume
Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,280Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Thank you, janiegirl!  Great feedback. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,280Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    All that information you see when you edit your profile is not displayed publicly. If you go up under your username in the top right, and hit "View my public profile," you'll see. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,443Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    At some point, will all the photos inside an old thread show up?  My Hair Progress thread had loads of photos. Some aren't there at all, some are weird links. When things settle down and the bugs are worked out, I can just reload them onto the thread, but didn't know if this was a site wide issue that would be fixed at some point. Nothing urgent. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    At some point, will all the photos inside an old thread show up?  My Hair Progress thread had loads of photos. Some aren't there at all, some are weird links. When things settle down and the bugs are worked out, I can just reload them onto the thread, but didn't know if this was a site wide issue that would be fixed at some point. Nothing urgent. 
    Oh heck. I dunno. Will you please paste a link to that thread here, and I'll ask the dev team? 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,443Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    edited November 2017
    A couple other things, again nothing urgent.
    1. Anything that I "liked" in the past no longer shows that I "like" it. 
    2. When you would post on a thread before it would go into your subscription list. Now I see my old subscriptions in the Bookmarks but any new threads I comment on do not automatically get added. Maybe I'm supposed to do something I'm not doing?
    3. I almost asked about the Edit button but I found it! : )   
    Oops. The Edit button disappeared.

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,319Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

yes, it seems to be there for a very quick few seconds.  but mine already said an hour, but was long gone before an hour.  and it did not seem as tho i could set the time......

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    rbb said:

yes, it seems to be there for a very quick few seconds.  but mine already said an hour, but was long gone before an hour.  and it did not seem as tho i could set the time......

Thanks for the input, ladies. I'm really grateful. It may take us a little while, but we'll get the kinks worked out.  (no pun intended)
    I changed the edit time to one day. I'm not sure if that change will work retroactively or only on new posts. We'll have to test. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    2. When you would post on a thread before it would go into your subscription list. Now I see my old subscriptions in the Bookmarks but any new threads I comment on do not automatically get added. Maybe I'm supposed to do something I'm not doing?
    Re No 1: I'm guessing the new software can't "read" the "likes" from the old software, but I'll ask the developers. 
    2: I'll have to ask about this functionality, too.  
    3: We had it set to where you could edit a post for one hour after making the post. But I've now changed it to one day. Thoughts on that? 

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 836Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Gretchen said:
    All that information you see when you edit your profile is not displayed publicly. If you go up under your username in the top right, and hit "View my public profile," you'll see. 
    So if I go to the upper right where my user name is, hit that, then get a drop down menu which includes "view public profile", yesterday I could see all the info I added, including last name, birth date and location.  Today when I hit that link, I get an "unable to display" message.  If I click on my avatar, it does take me to my public profile page, where items mentioned above are not listed.  So I'm happy about that. 
    Current products:
    edited November 2017
    Gretchen said:
    Re No 1: I'm guessing the new software can't "read" the "likes" from the old software, but I'll ask the developers. 
    2: I'll have to ask about this functionality, too.  
    3: We had it set to where you could edit a post for one hour after making the post. But I've now changed it to one day. Thoughts on that? 

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK! 

Does there really need to be a time limit on Edits?  I used to edit things months after the original post. Not the end of the world if we can no longer do that. At least if we know it's 24 hours, that will help. Although, our posts no longer have a time on them so we can't even tell what time anyone posted anything. 
    For me, #2 on my list is the most important. It's difficult to find the threads I'm participating in since they don't go to my subscriptions/bookmarks automatically like they used to. 

ETA - and so's not to sound like I'm just complaining, I'm really enjoying the look of the new Curltalk. There's still a lot of white space but so far I really like the fonts and how things are organized. And it's certainly a plus to be rid of all the spam. Good job! 
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,679Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When I post, I'm seeing that it's now a 2-step process.  I'm typing in the "Leave a Comment" box at the bottom of the screen, clicking the purple "Comment As..." box below the comment box, and then it takes me to the top of the thread and I have scroll all the way down to the bottom again to get the next purple box that says "Post Comment".   Is it this way for everyone, or am I doing it wrong?  
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    I did find the Bookmark button so once I find threads I've posted in and want to continue reading I can at least get them into my Bookmarks. I wish it was done automatically tho. 

Spiralli, I think I just have to click Post Comment and I'm done. I don't even see a "comment as" button. 
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,146Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't think that everyone's badges and reward points were properly assigned. I have been on CurlTalk for at least a few years and have around 1,700 comments but am a Curl Neophyte, which means I can't even use the PM function. I saw that curlypearl also is a Curl Neophyte, but she has close to 12,000 posts.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,146Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Oh, I see...you have to comment on a post before the badges show up. Got it. :)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 836Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    This is a minor request, all things considered.  But would it be possible to have bolded forum titles when new threads are posted, and bolded titles of threads when new replies are posted? 
    Current products:
  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 1,083Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm just going to post this here since badges and things have been brought up. I looked at my profile since I had curl novice listed and it said I've only been a member since November of this year (2017). 😕I've been a member since 2008. I can't remember the month, but I'm guessing around March. I know it isn't super important, but I'm kinda sad about it. 
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

edited November 2017
    ^curry curls, The November 17 (or a time) is when you last posted on this thread. Our profiles don't say how long we've been members, just how many times we've posted.
    I put my join date in my sig so I could remember how many years I've been here.
    I'm just going to post this here since badges and things have been brought up. I looked at my profile since I had curl novice listed and it said I've only been a member since November of this year (2017). 😕I've been a member since 2008. I can't remember the month, but I'm guessing around March. I know it isn't super important, but I'm kinda sad about it. 
    mine says the same, nov 2017.  i've been a member since 2006.   i suspect the whole badge thing is haphazard, doesn't seem as if it is calculated with any consistency but that is very minor.  unless, of course, we wanted to pm someone, that needs a higher badge.  as long as the site works!  

i was just going to edit my comment as i read jeep's after mine posted (probably writing at the same time.).  so i guess i misread that also.

edit button-- i wanted to edit my comment but i could not.  all it would do was to say i had one day to edit, but i can't figure out how to.  anyone know???

^curry curls, The November 17 (or a time) is when you last posted on this thread. Our profiles don't say how long we've been members, just how many times we've posted.
    I put my join date in my sig so I could remember how many years I've been here.

When I look at my public profile, it says I have been a member since November 14, 2017. Mine must be different. It doesn't say how many times I have posted. 

Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

I can't edit either, rbb . So, if I go into the 'read/see all posts' by me then I can see that I joined in March of 2008. I am apparently a curl dabbler now, which I think still reflects having just joined the site as it says on my profile. Sorry for all the whining. 
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

i just checked see all posts, and apparently i've been a member since may 2008.   i know i lurked first, but i didn't realize i lurked for two years, LOL!
    and it says i have over 4,000 posts which makes more sense than the 2.000+ it has on my activity.

ABUSE reaction?   when went to see 'read/see all posts' it had a 5 next to the abuse reaction. ???? what does that mean????

now i see under my avatar it lists the number of posts.....    

i checked the rewards thread about badges -- apparently we cannot private message until we have 500 points!!!  by the way they add them, it seems it would take a while to reach 500???  i did like the pm feature .

edited November 2017
    ^ I thought you guys are talking about the page you get when you click someone's name (which I never do).  I was talking about your profile on the left hand side here on the actual threads. It says our number of posts and the time or date we posted in that particular thread. Now I understand you guys were talking about the page you get when you click someone's name (which I never do). So that confusion is out of the way! If I click on my name and go into the profile it has my correct join date - May 2005, plus number of posts, badges, points, last post date, etc.
    As for PMs, in the old days you had to have I think 100 posts before you could PM someone? I have 230 points already and I haven't posted all that much. so it won't take long to get to 500.
    I don't have any abuse points RBB so you must have been bad!  hahaha.  I'm sure just some glitches to be worked out.

I just tried the Edit button and mine is working at the moment.

Hi everyone... I'm going thru everything and trying to figure out what I need to address.
    The badges and points seem to need a few days to work out.  Please PM me if you feel like your badges, points or levels don't seem right. It's important to me that those are right, especially for our long-term members. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    gretchen, i cannot figure out how to pm.    also according to the point/badge level, i am only 100 points (after 9 yrs as an active member), 400 points from the badge that will allow me to pm.  so like another 36 yrs????  LOL!

what i would say is that i am not concerned about badges (this isn't the brownies) but i am concerned that i cannot pm.  

also, according to my profile, on the 'reactions' area, i have 5 in the 'abuse' box.  what does that mean????

@rbb ; Ok, I'm on it. I'll manually assign you your due badges and see if that gets your point count to where it needs to be. Thanks for helping me figure this out. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    @rbb See if you can PM now. Look for the envelope icon above the big black "New Discussion" button. 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file