How Badges Work

GretchenGretchen AdministratorPosts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
edited December 2017 in Announcements

Earn badges to increase your CurlTalk prestige.

Badges are earned for a variety of accomplishments on CurlTalk:

• Membership duration

• Number of posts made

• Number of positive reactions issued

• Adding a profile picture

• Commenting

• And many more…..  

The CurlTalk system automatically awards badges but admins and mods can manually award badges, too!

You and others can view your badge collection on your profile page.

Be an active member and earn lots of badges!

Badges are designed to reinforce desirable behaviors on a forum. They are not necessarily awards for the best or most of something, but rather signs that point the way to positive participation in a community.

Vanilla’s Badges addon automatically creates a wide variety of badges. Some relate to core forum functions (like commenting), and some are only triggered by using additional addons (like Reactions). Default badges are typically assigned to users automatically when certain conditions are met.

Badges are automatically awarded by the system, but can also be manually awarded by admin/mod.

Users’ badges

A list of a users’ badges will display, by default, in the panel of their profile as a grid of badge images. Badges awarded incrementally (such as membership anniversaries) will “stack”, meaning only the highest-increment badge will show.

Viewing a badge

Clicking a badge’s name in the badges list will take you to a public page describing the badge. Users can get to this page by clicking the badge in their profile. This page shows the most recent recipients of the badge.

Gretchen
NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
3A

You are beautiful!

Comments

• 1001waves1001waves Posts: 73Registered Users Curl Novice
    If I’ve been a CurlTalk member since 2009, how can I get the one year and five year membership badges?
    Cherub 2c/3a Fii,porous
    Wash:KC Come Clean
    Condition/Leave-in:Devacurl Delight
    Styling:
    AG:Recoil
    Love:protein Hate:Garnier
    Experiment:henna glossing
    Mod CG since 7/22/09
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    1001waves said:

If I’ve been a CurlTalk member since 2009, how can I get the one year and five year membership badges?

I just gave them to you. The system should have done it automatically, but there's a bit of a lag, it seems.
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • 1001waves1001waves Posts: 73Registered Users Curl Novice
    Gretchen said:
    I just gave them to you. The system should have done it automatically, but there's a bit of a lag, it seems. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
    They’re all there now, thank you!
    Cherub 2c/3a Fii,porous
    Wash:KC Come Clean
    Condition/Leave-in:Devacurl Delight
    Styling:
    AG:Recoil
    Love:protein Hate:Garnier
    Experiment:henna glossing
    Mod CG since 7/22/09
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited December 2017
    "Badges list All badges are listed in the Dashboard under “Badges”. This includes any badge ever created in your forum, regardless of whether it is currently active or achievable."

@Gretchen   So where exactly is the Dashboard? I feel like a doofus but I can't find some things yet. : ) 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    "Badges list All badges are listed in the Dashboard under “Badges”. This includes any badge ever created in your forum, regardless of whether it is currently active or achievable."

@Gretchen   So where exactly is the Dashboard? I feel like a doofus but I can't find some things yet. : ) 
    Whooops.... I think that's some stuff intended for admins... Dashboard is some backend stuff. I'll remove that from the badges info. Thanks for pointing that out!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ^ But we want to know what all the badges are so we can work on earning them! Just kidding. That would be too much pressure for me. haha.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • PoochiePoochie Posts: 315Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    About membership duration...  Did everyone get a default Nov 14, 2017 join date at the redo?  That's what's in my public profile, but under About in CurlTalk it says I've been a member since 1999.  The public profile also says I last posted Nov 30, 2017, and that's not right either.
    edited July 2018
    It shouldn't have done that to you, @Poochie. Can you link me to where it says the Nov 17 date? 

Thank you, btw, for being with us so long!  Incredible! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    I think everyone's public profile still has the same join date of Nov 14 2017 and it was never fixed. The last online date is always wrong also, tho at least it's the right month and year. This is from today -
  • PoochiePoochie Posts: 315Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    edited July 2018
    It's what I see when I click on View My Public Profile on the drop-down menu you get when you click the member icon to the right of the search box.  It says Join date Nov 14, 2017,  and Last Online Nov 30, 2017.  Jeepy,  does your Last Online date change, even if it isn't correct?  It must if it is the right month and year.  I think mine just stays the same.

@Poochie ; I never really paid attention to it but yes, I guess it changes since it's the right year (but who knows!).
    Thanks guys. I'll mention this but I'm afraid I'll be told it's not quite at the top of the priority list. The developers are so busy! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    @Gretchen ; It's probably obvious, but it has been almost 9 months now. I would think if we can grow a human being in that time, then the IT folks should be able to fix the things that have been messed up since the relaunch. Ya know?
    @Gretchen ; It's probably obvious, but it has been almost 9 months now. I would think if we can grow a human being in that time, then the IT folks should be able to fix the things that have been messed up since the relaunch. Ya know?
    LOL. You would think!

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!