How to get hairsylist to stop trying to upsell me?

cepfairycepfairy Posts: 1Registered Users
Hello,
I'm new here and I'm not sure this is the right place to put this question, but I really need some help.
I LOVE my hair stylist. She's great and she really get me and my hair.
But she's always trying to sell me the salon products and get me to have her color my hair instead of doing it myself. It makes me really uncomfortable because I hate saying no and I don't want to offend her.
But I'm in college. I can just barely afford to get my hair cut at a salon. I literally cannot afford salon products or any additional services.
Is there like a polite way to just say no?
Also, how do I tell my stylist I want a big change without offending her?
I love her and she does a great job, but I just really want to change me hairstyle?
I just don't know how to talk to her about this stuff without messing up our relationship?:confused:
Thanks guys

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    For the upselling, just be honest.  I am a broke college student and I can't afford it.  

For the new hair style, many women change this hair during a transition.  Who among us has gotten a new hairstyle after a breakup.  Just mention that you feel like you need a new style to match your new stage in life.  Be prepared with photos.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I agree with @WavyKfromNJ.  Just tell her you love how she does your hair but the nice salon products just aren't in your budget right now. And tell her some day they will be and you'll stock up then! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It can be tough to be assertive when you're in that position. I'm not a naturally assertive person and can identify with how you're feeling. I would just tell her that you thank her for offering to color your hair in the salon, but you really don't have the money for that. If she continues to pressure you, you just continue saying "No thank you" like a broken record. The same goes for salon products. Just say something like you wish you could afford it but are on a really tight budget right now. Again, if you're pressured more, just repeat "No thank you." She honestly probably hears "No thank you" a million times a day if she's trying to upsell people.

I think that most hair stylists are not offended when someone wants a new style. It's their job to be able to do a lot of different styles. I would just go in and say something like, "I want to try something new" or "I'm feeling like I want to do something different with my hair." I agree that bringing pictures is a must. You'd be surprised at how stylists can misinterpret what you want. Pictures do the talking for you.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file