CurlTalk

2a/2b Sick of the Straightener

konayukikonayuki Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hello all I'm new to this site and new to actually working with my wavy hair!

Almost my whole life I have brushed, blow-dried, and straightened my hair. I was always told my hair was straight but I hated it so much -- I didn't know how to manage it at all! Plus, if my hair was straight why did I have to straighten it!? I would always hide my hair in a ponytail or braid if I didn't have time to straighten it.

I remember in high school a lot of my friends went to get the Japanese hair straightening. I really wanted to, but my parents wouldn't let me as it was expensive at the time (not sure of cost now). I would wish and wish for stick straight easy-to-manage hair all the time. Straight hair was #beautygoals at that time.

I have a few cousins with very curly hair ranging from 3B to 4A. They have all gotten it relaxed or straight-permed throughout their lives. Some years back some of them decided to go natural and now embrace their curls. They look fabulous. But, when I struggled with mine they would tell me that it wasn't a big deal since their routine was so much work and my hair was straight. I felt at a loss between two worlds of straight or curly with no in-between.

I started working from home so I stopped straightening my hair daily, though I would still blow dry from time to time. But, I was still using harsh shampoos, towel-drying my hair, and and trying to brush my waves out. Even after a hair stylist I went to told me a little about my wave pattern I was still treating my hair as if it was straight! I didn't know what else to do.

My hair has been getting longer (not cutting it until I reach a goal) and it was getting too frustrating for me. I researched and researched and finally came across this site. I was so happy! I never realized I was doing it all wrong. I don't have to hate my hair. I can have the same experience as my curly-haired family members.

I looked at the different hair types and I seem to be mostly 2B with a bit of 2A mixed in. This week I went on a hair-shopping binge and bought all new shampoo, conditioners, creams, mousse, and a microfiber towel. I'm really excited to see the change in my hair in the next year though I'm sure there will be a lot of trial and error.

I'm trying to get my sister to do this as well, since she always brushes it out and it just POOFS. She's pretty resistant and afraid of change, but I hope that once she sees my progress she will join me for the ride.

I just needed to yell all this out from the rooftops without any judgement from my straight-haired and curly-haired family members. I'm super excited to be on this journey!

<3

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 1,708Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm excited for you! I have wavy hair too, and although I sometimes straighten it, I like to wear it wavy. It is fun to be able to choose between the two textures.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: As I Am; CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel
    Normal- to low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • bomegabomega Posts: 275Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome to nc.com, and congrats on the decision to embrace your natural hair texture. If it helps, I noticed this past week watching guests on late night comedy shows that it looks like 2A-2B hair is the in thing - a bunch of curly women wore their hair with a wave, including Nicole Kidman (and she used to wear mega 3B curls!)
    Summer: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing - Citrus Mint Shampoo and Conditioner
    Winter: Alaffia Coconut & Shea Daily Hydrating - Lavender Coconut Shampoo and Conditioner

Fine, 2c, low porosity hair that I color using the 2-step henndigo with amla

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,454Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Welcome! We're glad to have you! Enjoy this wonderful journey of curl acceptance.
    There's tons of great info all over the site; be sure to spend some time reading and then reading some more!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!