Seeking natural hair regimen & need guidance

RK21RK21 Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi y'all!

I have been using Herbal Essence Totally Twisted for 10+ years and have (finally) realized that I should find a product that is much more eco-friendly, more natural, and healthier for my hair. The trial and error process can get quite pricey so I figured chatting with a hivemind of curly haired friends would be best!

Type: 3B / 3C
Density: Thin
Porosity: High (probably the years of HE)
Thickness: Medium

Current Regimen:
Alternate between a shampoo wash or a conditioner wash every 2-3 days (rarely both in same wash). Always style with mousse afterward then air dry
- Shampoo: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine
- Conditioner: Aussie Megga Moist
- Mousse (to replace!): Herbal Essence Totally Twisted

What I'm learning is that a leave in conditioner, cream, or other water based type product is best. I've learned that gels and I do not get along as they tend to dry my hair out, causing it to tangle more and require more washing/conditioning. What I like about the mousse is that I can wear it without a wash for 2-3 days. The 'cast' can be reactivated with a spritz of water and I'm good to go. Additionally, the mousse also works great for fighting humidity.

Items I've tried:
- Shea Moister: Curl & Style Milk - Did ok, but didn't create a strong enough cast to last 2-3 days
- Miss Jessie's Jelly Soft Curls Gel: Disaster. Had to wash my hair everyday it tangled up so much. Kinda mad I spent so much on this one.
- Lush's R&B: Smells amazing, but didn't create a strong enough cast to last. Also, not very affordable - dime size amount is a joke!

Any recommendations for conditioning hair masks, leave-in conditioners, oils, mousse, or styling creams? Would love to find a routine that only means a wash every 2-3 days (or more!).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• amlmartiamlmarti Posts: 6Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm actually really happy right now using all Shea Moisture products. I use a combination of the Coconut Oil Leave-in Treatment and the Fruit Fusion Mousse for styling. I love how the Leave-in Treatment makes my hair feel and the Mousse lasts me 2 days easily as long as I pineapple it at night (I wash every other day usually so I don't see how it would hold on the third day). Hope you find something that works for you!
  • Krisha22Krisha22 Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I recommend coconut oil! :) It's great for dry ends
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @RK21 : My hair type is different than yours so I can't recommend products from my direct experience. But my understanding is that high porosity hair benefits from protein in products, so you could try looking around for products like that. But some products lines that are natural-type lines that has products with proteins in them are:
    - Curls: Almost all of these do
    - Curl Junkie: Many of their products have protein. Check the ingredients list
    - Raw Curls: This line uses silk protein in basically every product they have. Silk is on of the lighter proteins, but also pretty low risk to try.
    - Camille Rose Naturals: Some have protein, some don't. I think the Coconut water products have protein.
    - You could try the Ecostyler gel - a lot of people have success, and it doesn't have any avoid ingredients. (But be sure to get the newer ones without TEA).
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • RK21RK21 Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks y'al!

I switched up my hair wash regimen and I love the outcome! 
    Shampoo - DevaCurl No-Poo Original
    Conditioner: Carol's Daughter Hair Milk Cleansing Conditioner
    Styling: EDEN BodyWorks Coconut Shea Curl Defining Creme. This stuff is amazing. It keeps my hair moisturized and my curls stay soft, bouncy, and frizz free for days. AND it stands up to humidity! It never feels super producty or stiff - just healthily conditioned. 

I'll use a good bit of the Eden's creme on wet hair after a wash, then work it through root to tip. I then scrunch my hair up with my hands to encourage the curl, then to get the big wet spots out, scrunch up with an old tshirt, then let it all air dry. Once it's fully dry, I'll fluff it up somewhat (scrunch up the area around my scalp and floof some it out) to get a little more volume. Floof. Such a technical term but I think y'all feel me. :)

Since using Eden's, I've only dried my hair with a diffuser once to speed up the drying process for a party. It curled up soo much more and my hair was a good 2 inches shorter (everyone kept asking if I had cut my hair). I always find a natural dry looks best (and lasts longer) so usually never dry it with a hair dryer/diffuser.

What's great about the Eden's creme is that I can go a good 2-3 days without a wash and just touch it up with a spritz of water and a little of the creme. 

Thanks so much for your advice and help y'all! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file