Anyone familiar with Olaplex?

BDauzBDauz Registered Users Posts: 28 Curl Neophyte
Hello! I've heard of Olaplex ... but I'm not certain of the criteria to use the product. I know that it is supposed to be repairing, but when do you know to use it? I'm getting my hair colored Friday, is this something I need to purchase for after the coloring process? OR is this product for hair that's already having issues .... like my limp curls nonsense?

PLEASE HELP! I'm not too familiar of the tips and tricks to keep your hair defined and healthy.
3A/3B, Low Porosity, Fine Hair, Medium Density, Currently: Limp Curls (Hoping to fix that)

Current Products: Nothing I really want to stick to ... using Shea Moisture, it doesn't do much for my hair. OPEN to suggestions :smile:

-- Brooke

Comments

• MichelleMichelle Administrator Administrators, Moderators Posts: 742 Administrator
    LOVE Olaplex 3. don't know exactly what's in it but it seems to make my curls bouncier and softer, especially after I've mistreated them.
    Michelle
    co-founder
    NaturallyCurly.com
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Olaplex is a during color, after color, and take home product. Olaplex works best when combined with color or bleach to retain the integrity of the hair. It works by repair the disulfide bonds in hair that are permanently broken when we color, chemically process, or experience heat damage.
    There isn't a set way of knowing when to use the product. No 1 is the during color step. No 2 is used after rinsing out color. And no 3 is the take home product Michelle is referring to.
    If you are getting a color service, your stylist may or may not use Olaplex without being asked. Some stylists don't use it because they never have or they don't like the products' effect on processing time or developer strength. If they do use it, it may be an add on service. If your stylist uses Olaplex, it's worth the additional fee. You can choose whether or not to purchase the No 3 take home product. It is a revolutionary product that prevents your hair from sustaining the damage that color, bleach, and perms have on your hair. Please don't expect a miracle though. The first time I used it, I was a bit underwhelmed by it because it is hyped up so much.
  • CurlSwirlsCurlSwirls Registered Users Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    I've used it before and i love it! I haven't used it in awhile now, but when my hair was extremely dry and damaged it really helped get my curls to bounce back.
  • chrissy31387chrissy31387 Registered Users Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    olaplex basically adds the dissulfide bonds back into your hair that are either broken from heat or weather etc....i use it once a week after my cowash while the conditioner is sitting for 30 mins....i say go for it! ive been at this a month and olapex hass always been in my routine! My hair has never felt or looked healthier ever!! best of luck to you
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    I have never used Olaplex but now I want to!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso
    Never heard of it, but I don't color my hair so maybe it's only used in salons? Off to look it up! 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Registered Users Posts: 383 Curl Connoisseur
    I like Olaplex as it is a nice treatment. I don't buy that it repairs damages though, if anything it fills in the broken bits of shaft temporarily but you need to keep reapplying weekly to keep getting the effect. It is a nice treatment and leaves hair bouncy and soft. If you color your hair especially, this makes a great weekly treatment. 
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, very long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    Earthtones Naturals Lover
    :thumbright:
    Canadian!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file