Out of carrots, out of sticks

RazanARazanA Registered Users Posts: 14 Curl Neophyte
I have tried everything to appease my hair and I am honestly at my wit's end.
Some background info: I know I have 3b hair and I have only chemically treated my hair once in my life, 8 years ago. The hair has grown out since then and the chemically treated hair is gone.

Over the past few months, I've been really focusing on treating my hair well. I use sulfate free products, specifically sheamoisture jamaican black castor oil shampoo to strengthen my hair and Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Conditioner. I shower every other day and use conditioner every other day, but shampoo about twice a week. I use natural coconut oil as a leave in, use a comb to brush my hair and put it up in a braid or a bun.

When I want to sstyle my hair, I use Shea Moisture - Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthening and Restore Leave-In Conditioner to help with frizz and then add a mousse or gel for extra hold. I usually wait about an hour after putting on the products, then use a blowdryer with diffuser to dry my hair on a cool setting.

No matter what I do, I STILL GET FRIZZ. My hair still appears to be dry and needing moisture and just so much frizz. I wear a hijab so my hair is never exposed to sun or environmental damage. And I have no idea what to do to control frizz and add more moisture when I want to style my hair.

I'm at my wit's end. Am I using the wrong products? Am I washing too much/too infrequently? I know the issue is low moisture I just don't know how to fix this. Is the coconut oil drying out my hair.

Please help I'm going crazy. I want to love my hair, it's just being a pain in the butt lol

Comments

• StraightPassingStraightPassing Registered Users Posts: 86 Curl Connoisseur
    What are your hair's other qualities, i.e.porosity, strand thickness etc? :)
  • RazanARazanA Registered Users Posts: 14 Curl Neophyte
    I'm really not 100% sure. I'm guessing since it has trouble retaining moisture, it's probably mid to low porosity. And it's not that coarse, but definitely not fine so I would say medium thickness. Shoulder length (without straightening). It's pretty healthy overall as I really don't mess around with it. It's not chemically treated, I very very rarely apply heat to it. Doesn't have too many split ends, I trim the ends off every few months. Again, I really don't do much to it. I just wash, condition, brush and then either braid it back or put it in a bun. I also apply coconut oil to it sometimes.
  • Curls80Curls80 Registered Users Posts: 526 Curl Connoisseur
    Just off the top of my head, if your hair veers to coarseness, coconut oil may not be your friend. My hair is fairly coarse and coconut oil binds protein to your hair. When you’re coarse, protein isn’t necessary to use as often as it is for someone with fine hair. Plus, shea moisture products can tend to build up, so you may also need to clarify your hair as well.
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curlsmith cowash, lhdc condish 
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, mga sculpting gel 
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- Cnpf
  • RazanARazanA Registered Users Posts: 14 Curl Neophyte
    I had a feeling it might be the coconut oil. Do you know of any other oils to use instead? Also, I'm not sure what clarifying hair means. Never heard of that! Can you clarify, please? (lol)
  • persikorpersikor Registered Users Posts: 13 Curl Neophyte
    Sounds like you have low porosity hair, the only oil I use it jojoba oil (jamaican black castor oil at my roots once a week tho). Try a thinner oil! Like jojoba or grape seed oil!
  • CurlyArtistCurlyArtist Registered Users Posts: 22 Curl Connoisseur
    Do you wear a cotton or silk hijab? When I wear a tichel to synagogue I got the same problem, all the frizz. Then I started using a silk scarf with one of those velvet bands around my forehead to give it some traction that's not on my hair, best thing ever. So it might be the type of fabric that might be pulling on your hair all day. Try silk or a silk blend. 

Shampoo: Renpure Originals Argan Oil Luxurious Shampoo
    Clarifying Shampoo: EDEN Bodyworks Peppermint Tea Tree Shampoo
    Conditioner: Maui Moisture Coconut Curly Conditioner
    Deep Conditioner: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Moisture Masque
    Protein Treatment: Palmer's Coconut Oil Formula Deep Conditioning Protein Pack
    Cream: SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Milk
                  or Palmers Hair Milk Smoothie Coconut Oil Formula
    Oil: Olive Oil
    Gel: Schwartzkopf Smooth N' Shine Curl Defining Mousse

Transitioning type 2c/3a naturally ash brown. Transitioning from chemical dye damage.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file