3A/3B Fine Hair, Low Porosity, Medium Density HELP!

BDauzBDauz Posts: 28Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hello, lovelies! I am in desperate need of some help to get my curls back on track. My hair is fine, with low porosity, medium density and I'm thinking 3A/3B curly type. My hair has changed quite a bit, so I'm not even sure how to categorize my curl pattern these days. For a brief overview my curls use to be super defined! These days they appear incredibly limp and I have going through product after product. Two years ago, my hair LOVED Paul Mitchell Extra Body Sculpting gel, and finishing it off with Argan oil. I think after going through a run of a bad hairstylist ... my hair has undergone some serious trauma. So, I decided I was going to try and work with products for my hair type. So here I am, with limp curls that are super prone to frizz and lack sooo much body. It's a bit depressing to know what my hair is capable of, and what my hair is currently doing. I really think I need a protein treatment because of the elasticity loss ... and also need recommendations for products. My hair does not lie co-washes and Deva Curl conditioner was not for me. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! The image attached is what my curls use to look like :( IMG_9041.jpg
3A/3B, Low Porosity, Fine Hair, Medium Density, Currently: Limp Curls (Hoping to fix that)

Current Products: Nothing I really want to stick to ... using Shea Moisture, it doesn't do much for my hair. OPEN to suggestions :smile:

-- Brooke

Comments

• bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi,

Welcome to nc.com. What sort of trauma has your hair gone through? That is have you been using relaxers or rebonding? If this is why you think you need protein, you could look into IAGirl's Geletin Protein treatment. It is inexpensive and relatively easy. I think you can google it but you should be able to find it somewhere here on NC.com and also at the Sciency Hair Blog.

However, before you try a protein treatment, consider trying clarifying followed by deep treatment (moisture). You can use a sulfate shampoo to clarify or a special clarifying shampoo like Kinky Curly Come Clean.

As for products, you sort of need to experiment a bit. I want to make a shameless plug for Alaffia products (which I have listed in my signature line.) Alaffia is such a great company that make such a difference, that I feel like their products are worth at least a try. You can read more about their work on their website. (Note: I am not affiliated with Alaffia...I just think they are great.) :)

I just switched to my winter products, which might work for you as long as you don't live in an area with very low dews in the winter (the Hydrating line has glycerin in it.)

(BTW, your hair looks great in that picture.)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,452Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair looks great in the pic! I hope we can help you get your curls back.

I agree with bomega that the first step would be to clarify with either a sulfate poo or Kinky Curly Come Clean. That will ensure that you have a clean slate to work with.

Clarifying sometimes causes the hair to feel dry, so as bomega suggested, following with a deep conditioning treatment can be helpful. You can just use your regular rinse-out for this. After washing, squeeze out excess water from your hair and work in your conditioner. Put on a plastic cap and a towel over that (to hold in body heat) and let sit for 20-30 minutes. Then rinse out and style as usual.

If you want to do a protein treatment, you could experiment with just using a protein-rich conditioner. These are often labeled "repairing." That may be enough for your hair unless your hair is seriously damaged from heat tools and chemicals.

I would make sure that you are not using any silicones on your hair. I have very fine hair with a weak curl pattern and have found that silicones make my hair straighter and limper.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    dupe
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • BDauzBDauz Posts: 28Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @bomega! Thanks for replying! To answer your first question, the trauma I am referencing is bleach. I went through quite a few hair dressers, and not all were concerned about my curl pattern and the impact too much chemical could have on my hair -- needless to say that's why I've been through so many people. I was taking birth control, which I thought also could have had an impact on my curl pattern. But at this point, I don't know which did the most damage. I don't do any relaxing treatments or even use a flat iron. I'm use to having body, so that's a NO GO! The most heat I use is what comes out of my diffuser.

This may sound incredibly stupid, but is co-washing and clarifying the same thing? I've tried some co-washes and it feels like the product is just sitting on top of my head. If it's something I should try, do you have any recommendations for a sulfate shampoo? I feel like I'm starting all over again. I'm currently trying out Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Grow. I really don't have anything great or negative to say about it. I don't see that's done anything to my hair, I'm just going through the motions.

Well, I am def experimenting these days! Nothing can hurt me at this point! I'll give it a look over, and hopefully can find some sample/travel sizes to try out.

The reason I think I need protein is because of the lack of elasticity in my hair. I am finding more and more that strands curl at the cuticle get straight in the body and then end with a weird wave at the end (if you can imagine that).

NICE! I am so glad you mentioned that! I have never in my life had two sets of products for my hair .... summer/winter. I've been reading that a ton though in my search on the internet. I have live in Louisiana and the humidity ... is just about unbearable. Most of the year you can bank on hot, humid and mosquito weather. Winter is trying to come through, it just hasn't stuck yet. Any suggestions as to how I know what products I need for either season?

Thanks, girl! That is my motivation to regain my hair back!

Thanks again for helping me out!
    3A/3B, Low Porosity, Fine Hair, Medium Density, Currently: Limp Curls (Hoping to fix that)

Current Products: Nothing I really want to stick to ... using Shea Moisture, it doesn't do much for my hair. OPEN to suggestions :smile:

-- Brooke
    @bomega, Thanks for replying! To answer your first question, the trauma I am referencing is bleach. I went through quite a few hair dressers, and not all were concerned about my curl pattern and the impact too much chemical could have on my hair -- needless to say that's why I've been through so many people. I was taking birth control, which I thought also could have had an impact on my curl pattern. But at this point, I don't know which did the most damage. I don't do any relaxing treatments or even use a flat iron. I'm use to having body, so that's a NO GO! The most heat I use is what comes out of my diffuser.

This may sound incredibly stupid, but is co-washing and clarifying the same thing? I've tried some co-washes and it feels like the product is just sitting on top of my head. If it's something I should try, do you have any recommendations for a sulfate shampoo? I feel like I'm starting all over again. I'm currently trying out Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Grow. I really don't have anything great or negative to say about it. I don't see that's done anything to my hair, I'm just going through the motions.

Well, I am def experimenting these days! Nothing can hurt me at this point! I'll give it a look over, and hopefully can find some sample/travel sizes to try out.

The reason I think I need protein is because of the lack of elasticity in my hair. I am finding more and more that strands curl at the cuticle get straight in the body and then end with a weird wave at the end (if you can imagine that).

NICE! I am so glad you mentioned that! I have never in my life had two sets of products for my hair .... summer/winter. I've been reading that a ton though in my search on the internet. I have live in Louisiana and the humidity ... is just about unbearable. Most of the year you can bank on hot, humid and mosquito weather. Winter is trying to come through, it just hasn't stuck yet. Any suggestions as to how I know what products I need for either season?

Thanks, girl! That is my motivation to regain my hair back!

-- Brooke
    Therese1 wrote: »
    dupe
    Hey Therese1! Thanks for replying! I'm obviously new to this whole clarifying experience ... unless that's like a co-wash. In which case, I have not become a fan of that situation. As for a deep condition, do you have a few recommendations? I have on hand, it's a 10 deep miracle mask.

I think part of my issue with my hair is the silicones and lack of a hair cut. I've had too many bad haircuts that have left me with the awful triangle look .... that I'm always nervous to let someone else cut it. However, I am in the process of making an appointment for that portion of the problem. I just bought bounce curl for a gel ... I've used it twice, but haven't had any luck with it. I'm not sure if its the product or just the state of my hair. Since you have fine curls, do you have any recommendations for style product and maybe a protein rich conditioner you've tried?

-- Brooke
  • StraightPassingStraightPassing Posts: 77Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow, well, if we can get your hair back up to speed I have high hopes for mine because I'm a similar porosity, density etc. :)

I would say as others have said, particularly when you're dealing with fine hair and low porosity the balancing act of moisture is crucial. Definitely try clarifying, because while my hair is more medium to coarse, it is low po and build up can be terrible. However, as your hair is fine you definitely need to follow that up with a deep conditioning to balance out. Personally when I Deep condition, I can't recommend enough a combination of a good quality shower cap and then some kind of long silk or similar scarf wrapped around to help keep the heat trapped. Then just leave it as long as you need. :)
    Clarifying and co-washing are two different things. Clarifying is when you cleanse the hair more thoroughly to remove build-up from styling products and conditioners. Normally, if someone co-washes regularly, I recommend using a sulfate-free poo for clarifying, and if someone uses a sulfate-free poo for regular wash days, I recommend using a sulfate for clarifying. Sulfates, if used regularly, can dry out the hair, but the occasional use can be a great help in getting rid of build-up. (As StraightPassing said, build-up can be nasty on low-po hair.)

For clarifying, I use the Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo or else Kinky Curly Come Clean.

For deep conditioning, I just use my regular rinse-out conditioner, which is Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner (in normal to high dew points) or else Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Conditioner (in very low dew points). I don't need anything super heavy because my hair is very fine and easily gets overconditioned.

For protein, I don't have a very good rec, since my hair is sensitive to protein and I generally avoid it. Before my hair became sensitive, I used Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner, but that has been discontinued as far as I know. The It's a 10 mask you mention has a lot of silicones in it, so I would not use it. Many people like the Curl Junkie Repair Me product.
    Clarifying and co-washing are two different things. Clarifying is when you cleanse the hair more thoroughly to remove build-up from styling products and conditioners. Normally, if someone co-washes regularly, I recommend using a sulfate-free poo for clarifying, and if someone uses a sulfate-free poo for regular wash days, I recommend using a sulfate for clarifying. Sulfates, if used regularly, can dry out the hair, but the occasional use can be a great help in getting rid of build-up. (As StraightPassing said, build-up can be nasty on low-po hair.)

For clarifying, I use the Bumble and Bumble Sunday Shampoo or else Kinky Curly Come Clean.

For deep conditioning, I just use my regular rinse-out conditioner, which is Intelligent Nutrients Harmonic Conditioner (in normal to high dew points) or else Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Conditioner (in very low dew points). I don't need anything super heavy because my hair is very fine and easily gets overconditioned.

For protein, I don't have a very good rec, since my hair is sensitive to protein and I generally avoid it. Before my hair became sensitive, I used Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner, but that has been discontinued as far as I know. The It's a 10 mask you mention has a lot of silicones in it, so I would not use it. Many people like the Curl Junkie Repair Me product.
  • StraightPassingStraightPassing Posts: 77Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just out of curiosity because I checked Google and it did give me a definition but it wasn't all that informative to this context, how does the dew point effect hair? Obviously humidity is straight forward, in high enough quantity it raises the cuticle and/or causes frizz but how does the dew point work? :)
    Therese1 wrote: »

Thanks for that information ... I think a lot of my problem is that I have a TON of the wrong products with wrong ingredients. Clarifying makes a lot of sense, but how often are you supposed to do that? Is like once a month or every time you use a product with not so great ingredients??

I keep reading so many good things about Curl Junkie, that I think I'm going to bite the bullet and purchase their samples. Maybe that'll get me off to a good start! As for the dew point ... I'm not quite sure I understand that. I looked up my area, and it says the dew point is 57 ... I just don't know what that means lol. Would you mind explaining that?

-- Brooke
  • Tete_Tete_ Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    How do I ask a question about my hair?
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Tete_ : Welcome to nc.com. Just start a new thread by clicking the black "New Discussion" button in the upper right hand corner.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file