Moisture and Low Manipulation

I've been having trouble keeping moisture in my hair lately, so I started up a moisture routine. But my hair is weak and brittle, and water, and products tend to slip off of my hair instead of absorbing or just dry up.
My goal is to grow my hair, so I am trying not to manipulate it as much, but how do I keep my hair moisturized properly without manipulating it somehow?
I'm not trying to sound rude or sassy, but I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
People will say they grew their hair by not touching it at all. Others will say that if you don't do something with it, it'll get messed up and break.
Is there a way that I can moisturize my hair daily or every other day without manipulating it too much and breaking it off? The thing is, when I touch my hair, I can feel the oil, and when I itch my head, I can see residue (ew I know), but my hair is still so dry.

My Routine is as follows (Just for a reference):
Night before
-Section hair (I do this one section at a time)
-Wet hair with a squeeze bottle
-Apply some Hawaiian Silky
-Apply olive oil
-Put it in a braid and throw on my satin bonnet.
Morning
-Check if I need to re-moisturize
-Put my braids in pigtails, tuck them, and go.

Also, sorry if this isn't understandable. My English is all over the place today.

Comments

• bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi Maka,

Long time no see. I'm not sure if I can help you as I think we have different hair types and we definitely have different hair goals. I don't know what to say about manipulation. I've read too that curly hair people shouldn't manipulate. But I wash my hair every day, and even comb it dry. I also am generally happy with the length and growth, so I didn't explore this further.

As for your moisture routine, I'm wondering if that Hawaiian Silky is really helping you. If it is the "Hawaiian Silky 14-in-1 Miracle Worker, here is an ingredients list I found on the longhaircare forum:

Hawaiian Silky 14 in 1 Miracle Worker ingredients:
    Water, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Mineral Oil, PEG-47 Lanolin, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearalkonium Chloride, Polysorbate-60, Triethanolamine, Acetimide AME, Hydrolized Vegetable Protein, Stearyl Alcohol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Menthol, Panthenol DL, Jojoba Oil, Anjelica Root Extract, Articum Lappa Root Extract, Chamomilla Recutita Extract, Symphytum Officinale Leaf Extract, Mistletoe Extract, Nettle Extract, Oatmeal Extract, Rosemary Leaf Extract, Sage Leaf Extract, Nasturtium Officinale Extract, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothizolinone, Fragrance

A lot of people on that thread above like Hawaiian Silky. But based on this list, Mineral Oil is the fourth ingredient. From this article on the Sciency Hair Blog: Oils – Which Ones Soak In vs. Coat the Hair?, Mineral Oil is completely coating where as the olive oil is somewhat penetrating. While mineral oil isn't as difficult as silicones, it might be preventing moisture (and the olive oil) from getting into the hair shaft, giving you all that dryness, and it can also build up. In addition, this product has a lot of protein, which is great if your hair needs protein, but problematic if it doesn't.

I don't know how to advise about manipulation, but your daily routine looks ok. Maybe you should do a sulfate clarify + deep treatment to start over and try a couple weeks of your moisture routine, just leaving out the Hawaiian Silky, and see if your hair likes it better.

(P.S. Your English is great. )
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • MakaMaka Registered Users Posts: 8
    Thank you so for the information and the stuff about the Hawaiian silky. I never looked into the ingredients, I only knew that it helped my hair grow (I'm assuming) the first two months I used it. I have actually been thinking of cutting it out of my routine and replacing it with a moisturizer or leave-in cream. Also thanks for being such a big help to me through my journey. I enjoy seeing your posts, and I really appreciate it : )
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    It's possible your hair benefits from protein. You could try doing a geletin treatment on a some schedule. Geletin is very inexpensive from the grocery store, and many people here at nc.com use something called IAGirl's geletin protein treatment. I don't know anything about it (my hair hates protein), but you can probably find out everything you ever wanted to learn about it at the Sciency Hair Blog (the lady who runs it is IAGirl here at nc.com :).)

Anyway, don't be a stranger. :)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file