Residue on Hair that Won't Come Off??

Hello,
So I've been a little broke lately and I've been trying to manage with whatever products I have. A couple of days ago I was forced to use a mousse with silicones (I know, cardinal sin) as a styling product. I have 2c-3a, low-medium porosity hair. I'm growing out an undercut at the moment, so the top is longer than the sides and back. I tried some new things this weekend and they went horribly wrong. I used a new oil and put some on my ends to help soften them. I also tried plopping for the first time. I've been doing a scalp scrub (brown sugar and oil) for the past few weeks before washing because I get an itchy scalp pretty easily, but this weekend I was forced to use conditioner instead of oil in the scrub because that's all I had. As soon as I washed out the scrub I noticed how difficult it was to get through my hair with my fingers, and it felt a lot thicker than it usually does after I wash products out. I've tried a bunch of things to get this residue off between yesterday and today: sulfate-free shampoos, sulfate shampoos, conditioners to help control the frizz I'm experiencing, and most recently a baking soda cleanse. I know that sounds like a lot, but I can't stand this feeling on my hair. It's not maintaining any curl pattern at the moment, much frizzier than normal and becoming increasingly drier. I feel like I'm doing too much to get rid of the residue, but I don't know how to proceed. Should I let my hair be and not do anything to it for the next couple days? Like not even style it? Should I moisturize it because I've been doing so much to it? Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Maybe the conditioner you used had a lot of protein, which could cause your hair to feel thick and tangly. You could try doing a deep treatment (leave conditioner on your hair for about 30 minutes before rinsing out) to see if that helps. If that doesn't help, you could try washing with Kinky Curly Come Clean, which has a detergent that can get rid of different types of build-up that regular sulfates don't always remove.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file