Any 2017 Growing challenges?

BritneysCurlsBritneysCurls Posts: 2Registered Users
I've looked through all the forums and haven't found a recent one. I was wondering if maybe we could start one here! Maybe list ideas, tips and your goals . Hopefully some of you are interested! :)

Comments

• MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Posts: 609Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've looked through all the forums and haven't found a recent one. I was wondering if maybe we could start one here! Maybe list ideas, tips and your goals . Hopefully some of you are interested! :)

I am trying to grow my curls to mid APL :flower: .
  • BritneysCurlsBritneysCurls Posts: 2Registered Users
    Same as well right now I’m at about almost shoulder length , I’ve never grown my hair past that but I’m going to challenge myself now ! :)
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'll join. I had my hair cut into an asymmetrical, longish pixie early last spring and have been growing it out ever since. I haven't had to trim since the cut, my ends are in pretty good condition. At the moment  it resembles a chin length asymmetrical bob. The sides are much longer than the back, not to mention that the right side is shorter than the left. Should be an interesting grow out.

Shoulder length is my first goal. It will soon be 2018, so I am going this challenge late in the game. 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,724Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    ^ I am trying to NOT do my annual end of the year chop of 6-8 inches and just let it go for once. It is as mid-back when dry and I'd like to get it past that for the next year or so. Then when I retire in 2019 I might chop it all off into a chin length bob for a big change. 
    My biggest issue is tangling, mostly at the nape of my neck. Some of it is caused by wearing it in a pony so much. Some of it is because my hair is just a different texture since it has gone mostly grey.  And some of it is because it's so long that the shedding hairs just get tangled into the other hair. 
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Maybe I will start a new thread for this challenge in the New Year. I know I can resist the temptation to cut until the end of December. The real challenge may come in mid-winter when I start to feel like making big changes. Why is this I wonder? 

• curry curlscurry curls Posts: 1,083Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I want to grow mine out as well. (for the millionth time) My hair sheds a lot, and that is discouraging. It had finally stopped shedding when I quit eating dairy and eggs. Now, it's shedding a lot again. Maybe it's just the regular shedding cycle. One can hope. :) So, I'm in.
    Started CG July 8, 2008

3B

Co-wash: Deva Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: Deva Decadence One Condition
    Leave-in/Styling: Deva Decadence One Condition and Deva Heaven In Hair
    Others: ACV rinses and protein treatments

edited December 2017
    I want to grow mine out as well. (for the millionth time) My hair sheds a lot, and that is discouraging. It had finally stopped shedding when I quit eating dairy and eggs. Now, it's shedding a lot again. Maybe it's just the regular shedding cycle. One can hope. :) So, I'm in.
    I understand "for the millionth time" only too well. We are all so different when it comes to our hair,  I started shedding after eliminating meat, eggs and dairy from my diet. After doing some research I decided to add back some meat and eggs, but not the dairy and within a few months my shedding subsided and new growth was visible.

I have to make a decision. This asymmetrical thing that I have going on is going to be difficult to grow out, this is a given, I knew it would be. What to do? I may end up having to even up the longest side to give my cut a more balanced style. This is something I could entertain doing on my own, all that is needed is a pair of sharp hair cutting scissors and a steady hand. I am also considering going to the salon, but I am sometimes easily persuaded to try "something new."  I have a gift certificate to my favorite salon and was saving it to use next spring when I will really be in serious need of a shape up. 

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    when i start looking at my hair scissors i know it's time  to make an appt.   i'm sorry when i don't, lol!  even tho it sounds like a simple cut, for some reason it never is and it's most likely because curly hair is tricky.   you can be inadvertently stretching it when cutting....

i think it might be good to go to professional to even out sides.   and IF she mentions you need a trim here or there, MAYBE let her do DUSTING on certain areas, but be very very very clear before she starts. and keep using the term, 'growing out,' and you wanted this cut to help the 'grow out' easier.   if she's good she will respect that.  but you must be clear and firm and ask what she is doing as she goes along.  i know they think we are paranoid, but we are when it comes to stylists, lol!!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I whack on mine myself for months, but then I am always so happy when I break down and get a professional cut. I've had to get bangs recently because of alopecia weirdness. For 2018, I'm going to vow to chop it less myself, and let the pros handle it! 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    rbb said:
    when i start looking at my hair scissors i know it's time  to make an appt.   i'm sorry when i don't, lol!  even tho it sounds like a simple cut, for some reason it never is and it's most likely because curly hair is tricky.   you can be inadvertently stretching it when cutting....

i think it might be good to go to professional to even out sides.   and IF she mentions you need a trim here or there, MAYBE let her do DUSTING on certain areas, but be very very very clear before she starts. and keep using the term, 'growing out,' and you wanted this cut to help the 'grow out' easier.   if she's good she will respect that.  but you must be clear and firm and ask what she is doing as she goes along.  i know they think we are paranoid, but we are when it comes to stylists, lol!!
    Gretchen said:
    I whack on mine myself for months, but then I am always so happy when I break down and get a professional cut. I've had to get bangs recently because of alopecia weirdness. For 2018, I'm going to vow to chop it less myself, and let the pros handle it! 
    Update...Thanks for the sensible advice, deep down I knew that a trip to the salon would end up with a much better result. I called the salon and they fit me in for 3:15, this afternoon. The girl who cuts my hair has 3a/b curls of her own, so I wasn't at all nervous. She evened up the lopsided look that I was sporting, added some blended layers throughout and left the length untouched except for a dusting. It actually appears longer looking, I am happy with her work. No pressure from her at all, she even very nicely agreed to let me leave with damp, product free hair. It has dried nicely and my curls look more pronounced and happy. 

Now the growing can begin. The stylist said I shouldn't need a trim until the spring, and only if I really felt I needed one. :)

wow!!  sounds great.  seriously, you can wear your hair product free or is that just with some conditioner left in?
    i think what happens when we cut our own hair that we lose that 'line' that balances it out, like where the weight is.  i have to keep reminding myself of that and how i'll regret it. the problem i have is that my stylist is in the city, so it is a pain drive in and i almost always go in on a sat morning -- used to schedule a 9 am appt, but he no longer starts before 10, which makes traffic more tricky, so i drag my heels going in.  then if there is a snowstorm.... hahaha... plus, the early appts get booked quickly so i have to schedule waaaay in advance.  i so wish he was out here by me, would love to not have to do such extreme scheduling.....  but his cuts are so worth it, so i go.

rbb said:
    wow!!  sounds great.  seriously, you can wear your hair product free or is that just with some conditioner left in?
    i think what happens when we cut our own hair that we lose that 'line' that balances it out, like where the weight is.  i have to keep reminding myself of that and how i'll regret it. the problem i have is that my stylist is in the city, so it is a pain drive in and i almost always go in on a sat morning -- used to schedule a 9 am appt, but he no longer starts before 10, which makes traffic more tricky, so i drag my heels going in.  then if there is a snowstorm.... hahaha... plus, the early appts get booked quickly so i have to schedule waaaay in advance.  i so wish he was out here by me, would love to not have to do such extreme scheduling.....  but his cuts are so worth it, so i go.

Well, she washed it with their salon shampoo which I am going to assume has sulfates. Once the shampoo was rinsed out she added conditioner, massaged my scalp for a bit and then rinsed again. I have to admit that I like it when a salon uses its shampoo and conditioner, they tend to use upscale products and it always feels and smells nice afterwards. The conditioner most likely had silicones, which I don't mind on occasion. Most products, applied after a regular wash and conditioner can weigh down my fine, fluffy hair if I use too much. I find that stylists use far too much for my hair type, so best to ask them not to use it on me. She understood completely.

After all that I guess the simple answer would have been yes, I can and often do go product free after a wash and condition. I am a fan of diluting my shampoo and conditioner, it helps to keep my hair from feeling weighed down. I am lucky to live within minutes of our Mall where the salon is.

This new trim is giving me some grief. Apparently there are a few more layers than I realized and each layer has a mind of its own. I have had to work more with this style change than any other that I have had in the past. The face-framing layers are a bit too short and I have had to resort to pinning them back.....sheesh...

do you have a photo of your hair?   what i like about deva cuts is that the curls "flip out," but they must do it in a somewhat blended way.   so it might be a bad cut or your not being used to a deva cut.  

rbb said:
    do you have a photo of your hair?   what i like about deva cuts is that the curls "flip out," but they must do it in a somewhat blended way.   so it might be a bad cut or your not being used to a deva cut.  
    Hi, rbb. I wish I could figure out the whole photo in a post thing. In my early days here I put a photo in my signature, maybe I can try that again. 

I honestly feel that I have a good cut, it is more to do with me getting used to the layers I think. It actually looks better now than it did this morning. I do wish that the face-framing layers were a tad bit longer, but like my husband said to me, the difference between a good haircut and a better haircut is about two weeks, lol! I do believe that I just need to get used to this new look.

i laughed when i read what your husband said, he is right!  the thing with curly hair is that if we have a good stylist who knows how to cut a curl, it curls up even tighter right after the cut.  i know my hair is much shorter than the dusting he takes off, and it will be that way for about a month, then less so.

You are right, rbb, my curls did curl up much tighter after the cut. I trust my hairstylist completely, she gave me a good cut for my hair type and I do like it. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file