Porosity question

MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
After all this time, you'd think I would know my hair properties, wouldn't ya? but I dont.

Question: When I get out of the shower and go to blot my hair - with a curlease (non microfiber, non terry cloth) towel, there is actually very little water on it.

Is this Low or High?

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I think it depends on how much you scrunch before you use the towel and any products you use.

I determined my porosity as high because my hair soaks up water instantly when I wash it.

HTH,
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
    I barely scrunch at all
    Almost no water is on the towel.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Myrna, my hair is high porosity partly because I color it, which damages it somewhat. Since you don't color your hair, and from what you say about drying it after a shower, you probably have low or medium porosity.

Isn't there some kind of test involving placing strands of hair in a dish of water? Not sure how accurate that is. Hopefully others will chime in and also I think on youtube there maybe videos of testing for hair porosity using the water in a dish method. Let us know!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Hi, Curlypearl:

I have thought for a while that my hair may be LP. It behaves like LP; it dislikes oils and weighs down easily. However, it does not take forever to dry as many curlies report; but this could be due to the fact that it is not very long, and I honestly cannot remember the last time I did not use a hair dryer on it and I wash it daily. I know it does not do well with glycerin. Yes there is the floating hair test but I hear that is not very reliable. You have LP hair if it floats and does not sink. I have never wanted to take the time and spend the money to get it analyzed. But honestly, my hair does hardly drips at all w hen it is soaking wet.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I have come to the conclusion that my hair is low porosity even though it doesn't take forever to dry either. I attribute that to the fact that it is very fine. But sometimes I can feel conditioner sitting on top of the hair when I apply it in the shower, and it needs time to sink in. Also, when I spritz my hair with water to refresh, it often takes a lot of scrunching to work the water into my hair, because the water wants to bead up on top and just sit there. These are signs of low porosity.

I find that sometimes low-po hair can feel dry right after showering because the water rolls off the hair, since the cuticle is so flat. That may be what is happening in your case, and why you have so little water on your towel.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    The strand float test is inaccurate for sure, and I think the dry time test is inaccurate as well. There are so many different factors that can affect the dry time. How much water you remove with your towel, how much product you put it your hair, what kind of product, the density of your hair, whether you clip or not, etc. etc. I can vary my dry time from under 1 hour to 4 + hours, just depending on how I treat it.

I determined my porosity by the fact that no product ever "sinks in" or gets absorbed. It just sits on top of my hair, sliding around. Oils, conditioners, creams, doesn't matter. I have to use such a small amount of everything otherwise it gets weighed down.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Janiegirl, I think that too would vary depending on whether one's hair is coarse, medium or fine. My hair is coarse.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file