CurlTalk

Is it protein sensitivity?

TaiyalinTaiyalin Posts: 5Registered Users
Hi all,

I just recently used Palmers deep conditioning protein pack on my hair, scalp included after I used the Palmer shampoo (jbco) line.

Once I washed it off my hair felt like rubber. I could not slide my palm from the front to the back. I conditioned with the line's conditioner and deep conditioned with ORS argan oil hair mayo. I got braided the next day and a week into the braids deep conditioned without co-washing (same line) 😰 was so lazy. S the area at the back of my head kind of feels tender and I itch more than I used to but not a lot really but there's no dandruff.

I recently co-washed and conditioned but the tender feeling is still around but the itching has decreased now. I'm used to braids as well.

I'm low porosity 4b/c.
This tenderness is creeping me out honestly and I'm not sure if it's the protein treatment I just tried once or the deep conditioning I did before co washing even though I did it this way for the first time.
:cry:

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 1,708Registered Users Curl Novice
    Protein sensitivity usually manifests as the hair becoming dry and brittle and tangly. I have never heard of hair becoming rubbery. It sounds to me like there is probably something in the Palmers products that your hair doesn't like.

Do you think that it is possible that you didn't rinse all the conditioner out at first? That might cause the itchiness. Or it again could be one of the ingredients in the Palmers product. I don't think the problem is protein in and of itself.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: As I Am; CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel
    Normal- to low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • TaiyalinTaiyalin Posts: 5Registered Users
    Thank you for the response.

Considering I've been on this hair line for a month I hope it's not some late stage reactivity to an ingredient. Really like this line.

Maybe you are right about not fully rinsing it out. Maybe but after using it my roots feel 'stonger' than my ends..? This was my first protein treatment so I'm not sure what I expected fully. I was getting a bit of breakage and I've been following a regimens of moisturizing for 4 months now and so I though maybe protein would help out. Considering I went in box braids right after I'd get to fully appreciate it after I take them out.

Maybe next time I'll just concentrate the protein conditioner on my ends instead if it could be an ingredient other than the protein itself or try another line's protein pack and see if I get the same feeling or not.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 1,708Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm not sure about the ingredients list for the Palmers products...but some people report itchy scalp due to buildup. Maybe try a clarifying shampoo if the itchiness doesn't subside?

Yes, it would be helpful to try another line's protein pack, or even a very protein-rich conditioner, to see if your hair reacts in the same way.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: As I Am; CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel
    Normal- to low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair