CG or not CG?

Kasey314Kasey314 Posts: 308Registered Users
I started out strictly following the curly version of CG. Then, once I realized that my hair was not curly but wavy, I started following the wavy version w/ a once a week gentle poo. My hair started looking much better, and I gradually started using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Hair-Cleansing-Cream-p-103.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-hair-cleansing-cream]Jessicurl's HCC[/buylink] more and more. Now, I use it as much as 3 or 4 times a week!

So, I was wondering what your experiences have been w/ the whole CG method. Please share!! :D
~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

CG since 9/06, modified since 3/07.

:coffee: <~~ Me every morning

Updated fotki 5/06/08
http://public.fotki.com/Kasey314/

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

Comments

• teela1978teela1978 Posts: 278Registered Users
    I started out on a pretty strict CG routine, with a monthlyish shampoo that was neccessary for work (level 3 biohazards make you shower out with their soap). My hair looked amazing on that routine, until I moved to an area with much harder water. Since then my hair hasn't looked right. Shampooing weekly and acv rinses help, I do CO's often during the week to keep my head from getting too greasy.

My experiences have made me think that success with CG for wavies depends entirely on the water quality in your area. No clue if this is also true for curlier types, but I've noticed it on me.

Oils help too but I haven't been doing that at all lately. Or playing with honey, or aloe vera, or coconut milk which have all done pretty impressive stuff to my hair in the past. Maybe I should start playing with treatments and rinses again :)
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I wanted to be CG, in fact, Curly Girl is by my bedside, but I can't do it. I had greasy limp curls four days into it.

A sulfate free poo, 2 or 3 x weekly with daily conditioning works really well for me. My curls on 2nd and 3rd days make me happiest. I'm a big fan of the Aveda Be Curly line right now (but, who knows how it'll work when summer rolls around).
    2b/3a.
  • JulieQJulieQ Posts: 46Registered Users
    i recently (less than 2 weeks ago) started down the strictish CG road (the book is by bed as well :) ) and last week i had really great hair, for the first ever. this week, not so much, they are limp and barely wavy. i am stuck on what to do as well. I dont know if it is the routine itself, just the way i do it or the products.

it certainly doesnt help that we have gail force winds this week!!
    Thick Strawberry Blonde - Some Sort of 2...
    Modified CG Routine Since 4/07, Using: MOP C Re:Coil, Angell, GW Gel (for the moment)
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    I started off completely CG and it worked for a while for my then-abused hair. Once it got a bit healthier, I added a non-sulfate 'poo as necessary. And the super occasional water-soluble cone. This still works for me.
    So I'm generally modified CG.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • EmberEmber Posts: 27Registered Users
    I also started CG a year and a half ago and was pretty strict for a while. It helped a lot to get my hair to recover from years of harsh treatment. Over time I figured out that although I have a lot of 3aish curls mixed in with 2b and 2c waves, my scalp is firmly in the 2 range and I started using gentle sulfate free poos regularly. Currently I am using the Aloe 80 line, conditioning daily. I use their poo about every four days, with at least one co-wash with either No-Poo or Burts Bees Sugar Beet condish in between shampoos. I'm mostly cone-free, but I just bought Aveda's Flax gel and it has a cone so we will see how that goes.

One of the things that learning about CG has done for me has helped me investigate the stuff I put on my skin and hair. I have stopped using all facial and skin products except for pure, unrefined shea butter. The skin on my face has never looked better. It's balanced out my T-zone combination skin, I hardly ever have breakouts, and my dry cheeks are smooth and moisturized. I use sulfate-free soaps too, just natural glycerin, unscented soaps or stuff from Mia Simone's line. That's the real benefit that I've had from CG--better education about the crap that's put into commercial health and beauty products and how utterly unnecessary most of it is! :)
    2a to 3a to ringlets on my head. My scalp behaves like a wavy, below the ears is DRY. Co-wash every 1-3 days with Vo5 VitaBurst, daily condition with Aloe 80, honey rinse followed by Alagio Crazy Curls and HE Set Me Up.
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    Ember wrote:
    I'm mostly cone-free, but I just bought Aveda's Flax gel and it has a cone so we will see how that goes.

I'm pretty sure the only cone in Aveda Flax seed gel is PEG-12 Dimethicone which is water soluble so it should be ok. There is also alcohol denat., however, although further down the on the ingredient list. I love this stuff but I am starting to get drier so I'm a little worried about the alcohol.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FuzzyMonsterFuzzyMonster Posts: 259Registered Users
    I can't do the CG method. In fact, the only time I can use conditioner at all is during the winter to prevent static. When I do the CG method, my hair is limp, flat, and greasy-looking. I haven't found a good routine yet--when I use products to prevent frizz, my hair is weighed down and flat. When I use products for volume, I end up with frizz. Good luck on your search! I'll be interested to see how it goes!
    Mostly 2A; Fine and wavy :batman:
  • Kasey314Kasey314 Posts: 308Registered Users
    Thanks for the replies! It seems like most of us can't do pure CG for very long, which I guess isn't surprising since wavy hair tends to be less dry than curly hair. I'm glad I'm not alone in this!

I've been using HCC about 3 to 4 times a week, and my hair still feels v. healthy and moisturized. I no longer co-wash, it's just too much for my hair. I do use lots of condish after the HCC which seems to be working well, but who knows about tomorrow will bring! :D
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

Products-of-the-moment: Loving Innersense right now: Pure Essential Hair Bath, Pure Inspiration Daily Conditioner and I Create Quiet Calm Curl Cream. Devacurl Angell is my go to gel, nothing else like it for me. Nature's Gate Lavendar and Aloe Nourishing Conditoner is always in my shower.

password - curly girl

• FearnotsomuchFearnotsomuch Posts: 368Registered Users
    For right now at least, I'm temporarily off CG. I didn't like the lack of volume that my hair had and I still felt the urge to shampoo with sulfates entirely too much (even though I managed to resist).

I'm using a sulfate free shampoo and a conditioner with dimethicone really low on the list (the coco betaine in the poo gets out the cone and I haven't had a problem with build up). I still use completely cone free styling products and I only use the poo once or twice a week. I still cowash the other days. It has been great and I'm seeing a little more curl at the roots (where it has been flat before)!
    In DESPERATE need of a haircut.
  • stubbornirishhairstubbornirishhair Posts: 118Registered Users
    I've followed, more or less, the routine for wavies for 1and 1/2 yrs. I don't do well with a lot of conditioner washes, too much condish weighs down my hair. The biggest change for me is the WAY I shampoo. Instead of throwing a boat load of shampoo all over my hair and scalp and lathering like crazy (and repeating!), I massage the shampoo into my scalp once, then rinse. I do this once or twice a week. If I need something in between, I just massage my scalp with water. It works really well for me, but it took me a few months to figure it out.
    2B wavy thick hair
    Fia=2a M iii
    modified CG since 1/12/06
    Update!

I got my hair cut last week, and I mentioned that only co-washing was really weighing my hair down. My stylist had just gotten back from Devachan, and she said that for hair like mine, I SHOULD be using Low-Poo whenever I thought I needed it. She also suggested that if my hair feels conditioned that all I need to do is water-wash and not use CO at all.

She said that b/c I'm a wavy and b/c my hair is now healthy that I don't need as much moisture. She also mentioned that Low-Poo is really meant for people w/ our hairtypes.

Just wanted to share! :D
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

password - curly girl

• leslie01leslie01 Posts: 10Registered Users
    I have narrowed it down to this:

wash with Suave Humectant Conditioner every day. I rinse it all out and while my hair is still soaked, I put a pea-sized amount of Neutrogena Daily Deep Conditioner in and leave it.

Once per week I ACV.

Once every three weeks or so I wash with Aveda's Be Curly Shampoo and Conditioner.

My hair isn't curly and never really will be. It has some waves, but I can't just let it dry and go. I have to do something with it. So I let it air dry as much as possible and then I curl the ends. My hair is about mid-back length, no bangs.

Sometimes it's wavy, sometimes it's straight. But it is always shiny and healthy.
  • MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Does the CG routine truly make waves look curlier? My hair has improved in health a little (I've been CG for about a week) but it's still dry and a little frizzy. I hope that by the end of the initial 2-3 weeks of the routine I can get a loose curl or at least a more defined wave. :P

Btw, Kasey, you have great hair! :D
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • UP LisaUP Lisa Posts: 98Registered Users
    I did the Wavy routine for about a year. I did have more waves, and I guess it worked for me. I was not able to wash any less often. Never got rid of the greasies.

I quite CO washing because I just don't like the idea of leaving conditioner on my scalp all the time. I sure don't need my hair getting any thinner from having the follicles blocked with conditioner!
    2b. Dark Golden Blond. Very fine texture. Medium thickness. Thrilled to find waves!!!
    Thanks Mint! :)

To answer your question though - It seems that CG won't make your hair curlier or wavier, but it does let your hair come to it's full potential. If you look at the first and last pics in my fotki, you can see the difference it has made in my hair, but I wouldn't say my hair is "curlier". It's just more defined and this definiton lasts longer. Also, my hair feels and looks healthier than it ever has, even when my texture is less than perfect. I doubt that my hair's texture will get any tighter than what it is now b/c that is just not my hair, but it is much healthier, shiner, more well behaved, more predictable, and my natural texture is enhanced. And this makes me a much happier person! :D
    ~FIA~ 2c-M-iii

Updated fotki 5/06/08

password - curly girl

• MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No problem. :)

I'm glad the CG routine works well for you! I think your hair looks nice in all the photos, but I see what you mean. Healthy hair is definitely top priority when using the CG routine.

I agree, the CG routine has made me happier as well so far. Instead of trying to make my hair straight-ish by combing while its wet then slathering on a ton of 'cone cream, I just gel, scrunch, and go. My hair feels softer and just as shiny as when I used sulfate shampoos with Pantene conditioners.

CG is the way to be! :D
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
  • EmberEmber Posts: 27Registered Users
    Ember wrote:
    ...I started using gentle sulfate free poos regularly. Currently I am using the Aloe 80 line, conditioning daily. I use their poo about every four days, with at least one co-wash with either No-Poo or Burts Bees Sugar Beet condish in between shampoos. I'm mostly cone-free, but I just bought Aveda's Flax gel and it has a cone so we will see how that goes.

So, a month after I posted this, I have a CG update. I started COwashes with VO5 either the clarifying Tea Therapy or the VitaBurst strengthening one and had the best results I've ever had with cowashing. Dropped the expensive NoPoo and stopped the Sugar Beet too, although I am using Burt's Bees new raspberry and brazil nut for regular conditioner. I've washed my hair with shampoo twice in four weeks and my hair has never looked or felt better. I'm also able to get 2nd day hair with a little shea butter scrunched in and then a good pineapple and head scarf wrap.

So, I'm mostly CG now I guess. I think I'm having success because the VO5 condishes clean my scalp really well and I use them every day I wet my hair, which is most days. My hair really needs the moisture of co washing followed by heavy daily conditioner and even seems to soak up the shea butter. I just needed to find something that would really keep my 2-behaving scalp in line. Yay for cheap HGs!! :D

Ember
    2a to 3a to ringlets on my head. My scalp behaves like a wavy, below the ears is DRY. Co-wash every 1-3 days with Vo5 VitaBurst, daily condition with Aloe 80, honey rinse followed by Alagio Crazy Curls and HE Set Me Up.
  • WavyFineWavyFine Posts: 12Registered Users
    I've been happiest long term with dilute shampoo to cleanse, since my scalp doesn't seem to like most shampoos. I also condition only my length with a fairly heavy moisturizing conditioner, like Aussie Moist.

I stuck with the CO routine for longer than I should have since it didn't irritate my scalp as badly as most shampoos. I always felt as though there were some sort of residue on my scalp, which led to the itchies, and more frequent washing.

I've got a fairly oily scalp, which I think is a major culprit for me in terms of lack of success with CO.
    wavy, baby fine elbow-length hair, airdry only, brush/comb only when dry.
    Cleanser: moisturizing shampoo, lately Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Conditioner: something moisturising, lately Jessicurl Aloeba
    Styling: George Michael/Madora styling products

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file