I used SLS shampoo once and lost my curls. Help needed

MajkunMajkun Registered Users Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
I was washing my hair with gentle shampoo and generally following the curly girl method for quite some time. About 2 months ago I washed my hair with SLS shampoo over a suspicion of silicones in my hair. I went from 2 A/B to almost straight that doesn't look good at all. My scalp was itching. So I ditched any shampoo - my scalp just couldn't heal with them - and went water only. After a month I can wash my hair with only water without oily hair for a few days but my hair haven't come back to curly. I really loved my hair and now it's an ugly mess. It's depressing really... Anyone had the same problem? Anything that will help...?

Before & after
tumblr_oxoojtjP3x1slwp91o1_540.png

tumblr_oxoojtjP3x1slwp91o2_500.jpg
2B

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair is so pretty in that top picture! You may still have buildup in your hair. SLS may or may not remove all buildup (you read so many things on the internet, it's hard to tell what's truth and what's not.) You might want to try shampooing just one more time. This time, look for the ingredient C14-16 Sodium Olefin Sulfonate. This is said to remove stuff that SLS won't, such as hard water mineral buildup, among other things. I believe Kinky Curly has a shampoo with that in it. (Kinky Curly Come Clean? Not sure on the name.) Shampoo once, and then go back to water washing or co-washing and see if that helps.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Yes, Kinky-Curly Come Clean has the ingredient janiegirl listed.

It's possible that your SLS poo also had silicones in it, which would have deposited on the hair after it was cleansed. I would try the Kinky-Curly poo and see if that helps.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • MajkunMajkun Registered Users Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    Upadate: after about 3 months I managed to fix the problem :) Writing this in case someone has something similar. Thanks for the responses yet in my case it wasn't as a buildup or silicones. Apparently the scalp condition affects the curl pattern. I have tried putting flaxeed gel, aloe vera gel, oils and few more things on my head, installed a water filter, tried co-washing etc. and all that with barely any improvement. Yesterday I bought a gel for dry and sensitive scalp with 10% urea concentration (Cerkogel) and it helped. The scalp is still a little itchy and general condition of hair is worse than before all this (it's dry) but my curls are finally back (!!!) and the hair has some volume again. It's still shocking for me how much damage can a harsh shampoo make after a long break from it. 

now

2B
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair is looking gorgeous!  I'm so glad you found a solution. Sometimes it just takes time, right? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • MajkunMajkun Registered Users Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen said:
    Your hair is looking gorgeous!  I'm so glad you found a solution. Sometimes it just takes time, right? 
     Thank you! Yup. Only this time it took so long that I lost hope and accepted it.  A pleasant surprise :) 
    2B

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file