What do I do now??

So my hair is 2a, dry, high porosity hair that may or may not be coarse- I'm not sure how to tell. Last month I started the CG method and got a great result the first time co washing-my hair was smooth and shiny. After that, I co washed my hair 1-2 times a week. However, after subsequent co washes, my hair started to become too soft, fluffy and flyaway after it dried, and really puffed out. It wasn't dry frizz, it was fluffing out and soft to the touch. I realised that this was a sign of overmoisturising, so I clarified it with a sulfate shampoo and used a silicone leave in as a quick fix. Now what to I do? My hair is high porosity and often dry, so does that mean I need to balance out the moisture with protein treatments? Do I have to clarify with a low poo or something to stop overconditioning? The only products I was using was a silicone free botanical conditioner for co washing, and I used a DC treatment once after co washing, which made my hair even more overconditioned. Please help, I'm at my wits end trying to find a good routine!

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I would either alternate co-washing with a sulfate-free poo or else try a lighter conditioner for co-washing.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • kittycatbaileykittycatbailey Registered Users Posts: 12
    I think I'll try alternating with low poo, or maybe diluting my co wash. Do you think i also need a protein treatment as my hair is porous which apparently needs protein, and also protein is meant to balance out moisture?
  • ttoosdayttoosday Registered Users Posts: 509 Curl Connoisseur
    If you don't know if you are coarse or not, it will be hard to predict whether or not protein will help. Try to determine that property, and then you may have a better idea which way to go. A good plan is to educate yourself on the different proteins and start with the smallest ones. But it takes buying alot of products that way, I should know, I have a huge product graveyard.

If you are coarse, generally, you already have enough structure that you won't be able to handle much protein, but combine coarse with damage/high porosity and you have a situation that is pretty difficult to read. Even healthy coarse hair may still be able to benefit from some smaller proteins, unfortunately there is no real hard and fast rule (it would be great if there were). It is going to be trial and error.

If you try some protein and your hair really improves alot, dont get excited and use it again immediately in a larger amount for longer time... you should wait to use it again until the benefit wears off from the previous time you used protein. Otherwise you might send yourself into protein overload from cumulative protein useage. It might be good to use protein every other wash or every other week or whatever you find is providing most benefit but not adversely affecting your hair. If your hair only sort of improves with protein, and you want to see how good your hair can get with it, you could keep using it every wash day to see what happens...and you may want or have to slightly overdo protein just once to find where your limit is, and so you can learn to recognize the symptoms and resteer your routine to prevent overload in the future.

Edit to add: about 'balancing out protein with moisture" - I think its safe to say that most well formulated products that contain protein also have enough moisturizing ingredients in them to balance out the protein/moisture mix, so I wouldnt worry about one application of a product sending you into overload. That being said, everyones hair is different, so pay close attention to your results if you do try it. I wouldnt use a protein treatment for longer than recommended on the packaging for the reason that you just dont know yet how your hair will respond. If you get extreme (bad) results from a single use of a protein product, then it was formulated for a different hair type than yours(ie you're really coarse/not as high porosity as you thought, proteins were too large etc) or a different purpose/you didnt use it right(left it on too long etc).
    Edited also to clarify and correct what i was trying to say.
    CG since 11/2014
    Mostly 2B, but ranges A-C front to back and root to tip
    Low density, very coarse, high porosity
    Collarbone length, gray dyed brown, dry and rough
    Typical LEG routine could be any combination of:
    Lo poo: Shea Moisture brand shampoo, Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Cowash: As I Am Coc Cowash
    RO: GVP CB, Aussie Mega Moist, Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Leave In: As I Am LI, KCKT, or Not Your Mothers Gardenia
    Enhancer: Camille Rose Curl Maker
    Deep condition: SM Deep Treat Mask
    Protein: Hask Keratin
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original, Ouidad Climate Control gel, LA Looks gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I would be careful about using protein to "balance out" moisture. The two work together, but I don't think for the long term you will get good results if you simply throw protein at overmoisturization. If your hair is getting overmoisturized, you probably want to figure out why. Maybe you need protein, but maybe your conditioner is just too heavy.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Well. Today I used a low poo and then a PT. After I did the final rinse my hair felt soft and I thought it had worked. Until half an hour later when it was almost dry and my hair had turned into a literal ball of fluff.
    I am so frustrated. I just used a regular SLS poo to wash my hair because I don't know what else to do. I hate this
    ttoosday wrote: »
    If you don't know if you are coarse or not, it will be hard to predict whether or not protein will help. Try to determine that property, and then you may have a better idea which way to go. A good plan is to educate yourself on the different proteins and start with the smallest ones. But it takes buying alot of products that way, I should know, I have a huge product graveyard.

If you are coarse, generally, you already have enough structure that you won't be able to handle much protein, but combine coarse with damage/high porosity and you have a situation that is pretty difficult to read. Even healthy coarse hair may still be able to benefit from some smaller proteins, unfortunately there is no real hard and fast rule (it would be great if there were). It is going to be trial and error.

If you try some protein and your hair really improves alot, dont get excited and use it again immediately in a larger amount for longer time... you should wait to use it again until the benefit wears off from the previous time you used protein. Otherwise you might send yourself into protein overload from cumulative protein useage. It might be good to use protein every other wash or every other week or whatever you find is providing most benefit but not adversely affecting your hair. If your hair only sort of improves with protein, and you want to see how good your hair can get with it, you could keep using it every wash day to see what happens...and you may want or have to slightly overdo protein just once to find where your limit is, and so you can learn to recognize the symptoms and resteer your routine to prevent overload in the future.

Edit to add: about 'balancing out protein with moisture" - I think its safe to say that most well formulated products that contain protein also have enough moisturizing ingredients in them to balance out the protein/moisture mix, so I wouldnt worry about one application of a product sending you into overload. That being said, everyones hair is different, so pay close attention to your results if you do try it. I wouldnt use a protein treatment for longer than recommended on the packaging for the reason that you just dont know yet how your hair will respond. If you get extreme (bad) results from a single use of a protein product, then it was formulated for a different hair type than yours(ie you're really coarse/not as high porosity as you thought, proteins were too large etc) or a different purpose/you didnt use it right(left it on too long etc).
    Edited also to clarify and correct what i was trying to say.

Well. Today I used a low poo and then a PT. After I did the final rinse my hair felt soft and I thought it had worked. Until half an hour later when it was almost dry and my hair had turned into a literal ball of soft fluff.
    I am so frustrated. I just used a regular SLS poo to wash my hair because I don't know what else to do. I hate this

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file