Elasticity & Protein Loss

taypfloydtaypfloyd Registered Users Posts: 3
I think that I am super protein deprived. I have been on the CG method for about 11 months now. Slowly but surely I have been losing my curl pattern. I started with tight curls and now I have some waves on top and light curls on the bottom. I have been doing some light protein treatments but I need to do something a little more drastic.

Any recommendations on treatments (I am a little scared to to the Apogee 2 step treatment but if I have to I will)? Also, do you have any ideas of what else could be causing my problem?

Pictures of what my hair currently looks like are attached.

https://imgur.com/a/rZdDc

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I can't see your pics because there is a bug on the site that prevents uploaded pictures from displaying. You can post them to a third-party site like imgur and give us a link.

I'm guessing that you have build-up and that is why your curls are disappearing. If you are conditioner only, I would use a low poo (sulfate-free poo) to remove build-up. If you use low poo, I would recommend a sulfate poo to remove build-up (afterward you can go back to your regular low poo). You can also try the DevaCurl Buildup Buster.

I would also double-check your products to make sure they don't have silicones.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I can't see your pics because there is a bug on the site that prevents uploaded pictures from displaying. You can post them to a third-party site like imgur and give us a link.

I'm guessing that you have build-up and that is why your curls are disappearing. If you are conditioner only, I would use a low poo (sulfate-free poo) to remove build-up. If you use low poo, I would recommend a sulfate poo to remove build-up (afterward you can go back to your regular low poo). You can also try the DevaCurl Buildup Buster.

I would also double-check your products to make sure they don't have silicones.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    I agree it kind of sounds like product build-up. But since you have been doing protein treatments and its getting worse, its possible you are actually topped off on protein and need moisture, or even protein sensitive (especially if your hair is low porosity.) But then clarifying and following with a deep treatment might sort this out.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • taypfloydtaypfloyd Registered Users Posts: 3
    Ok. I edited a link with my first post. I uploaded two images to Imgur. One is what my hair was looking like on the CG method and the other is now after a few more protein treatments and shampooing normally and using some silicones (just in my conditioner).

I guess my question is if you think my hair is reacting bad to the method? Should I just give up the CG method and use normal stuff or try to continue it and keep up with protein treatments? Haha I don't know what my hair is doing.

Oh also, both pics are first day hair.
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    So which picture is which? Also what styling products are you using in each photo?

Your hair in the top picture (with the plain white background) looks great, so if that is the one with the protein and silicones, I think what you are doing is working. The silicones may block moisture from penetrating the hair shaft and possibly will build up, so you should do a sulfate clarifying periodically (followed by a deep treatment.) In addition, if the conditioner only has water-soluable silicones, you are fine. To figure out if your silicones are safe, see: Science-y Hair Blog: Silicone Ingredient Solubility List

If the bottom one (with the white stucco background) is the one with the protein and silicones, I think you have your answer there. Do a clarifying treatment followed by a deep treatment and do whatever you are doing in the top photo! (Here is another post about how to remove silicones: Science-y Hair Blog: Detergents Which Remove: Silicones)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    I would definitely clarify before going further. All products, even CG products, build up on the hair over time. Everyone needs to clarify every now and then. After you clarify (and follow it with deep conditioning, as bomega recommended, since clarifying can be drying), then you will have a clean slate and can see what you're working with.
  • BDauzBDauz Registered Users Posts: 28 Curl Neophyte
    Hey! I am in a veryyyy similar boat! My curl use to have great body and definition before I started trying the curly girl method. Since then, I feel like my curl has lost its elasticity ... my curls are limp and frizzy. The girls about be mentioned the same thing to me about clarifying ... so I’m going to give that a whirl. I’m hoping that’s the start of something. I will tell you deva curl low poo and one condition did not work for my fine hair. My curls were never as defined before I swapped over... and I noticed I was losing more than the normal hair amount in the shower.

I don’t know if it’s helped, but I def can relate!
    3A/3B, Low Porosity, Fine Hair, Medium Density, Currently: Limp Curls (Hoping to fix that)

Current Products: Nothing I really want to stick to ... using Shea Moisture, it doesn't do much for my hair. OPEN to suggestions :smile:

-- Brooke

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file