Co washing making hair dry!

I've been co washing using Green People Neroli and Marshmallow botanical cleanser twice a week but it seems to be making my hair (2a/b coarse, high porosity) frizzy and dry. I have very short pixie hair and I don't use any other products besides from this. Is a conditioner with these ingredients appropriate for co washing?
AQUA (SPRING WATER), CETEARYL ALCOHOL (EMULSIFYING PLANT WAX), SIMMONDSIA CHINENSIS (JOJOBA) SEED OIL, CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE (CONDITIONING AGENT), PERSEA GRATISSIMA (AVOCADO) OIL, LEVULINIC ACID (PLANT DERIVED), LECITHIN* (PLANT DERIVED), ALOE BARBADENSIS (ALOE VERA) LEAF JUICE POWDER, HYDROLYSED QUINOA, ANANAS SATIVUS (PINEAPPLE) FRUIT EXTRACT, ALTHAEA OFFICINALIS (MARSHMALLOW) ROOT EXTRACT, CHAMOMILLA RECUTITA (CHAMOMILE) FLOWER EXTRACT, AROMA [CITRUS AURANTIUM AMARA (ORANGE) FLOWER OIL, ANTHEMIS NOBILIS (CHAMOMILE) FLOWER OIL, CITRUS AURANTIUM DULCIS (SWEET ORANGE) PEEL OIL, CITRUS NOBILIS (MANDARIN) PEEL OIL], POTASSIUM SORBATE, CITRIC ACID, LIMONENE, LINALOOL

Or am I doing something else wrong? I don't want to go back to sulfates because it makes my hair even more horribly dry. Please help

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair may be sensitive to quinoa protein. When I use quinoa protein, my hair becomes frizzy and dry.

Some people find that protein in general can be drying, so you could also try adding a conditioner to your regimen to counteract the dryness.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Your hair may be sensitive to quinoa protein. When I use quinoa protein, my hair becomes frizzy and dry.

Some people find that protein in general can be drying, so you could also try adding a conditioner to your regimen to counteract the dryness.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Besides protein sensitivity, how long have you been cowashing? I cowashed for weeks and rarely used sulfate free shampoo. I experienced buildup after a while of exclusively cowashing and rarely sulfate free shampooing. My buildup was not noticeable to touch just it frizzed, tangled, and was dry.
  • kittycatbaileykittycatbailey Posts: 12Registered Users
    Therese1 wrote: »

I thought about that, but thought maybe not after reading that protein is good for high porosity hair like mine. I could try using a cleanser without protein in it though and see if it makes a difference...
    BrittanyM wrote: »
    Besides protein sensitivity, how long have you been cowashing? I cowashed for weeks and rarely used sulfate free shampoo. I experienced buildup after a while of exclusively cowashing and rarely sulfate free shampooing. My buildup was not noticeable to touch just it frizzed, tangled, and was dry.

I've only been co washing for a couple of weeks, I don't think there's that much build up as my hair doesn't feel weighed down or gunky. I'm not sure what I'm experiencing at all
    Hair can be sensitive to certain *types* of protein, so your hair might like protein in general but not quinoa protein. Different proteins have different properties, and those properties may or may not work well with your hair. It's a matter of trial and error, unfortunately. You could try a cleanser without protein or else try one with proteins other than quinoa.
    Therese1 wrote: »
    Hair can be sensitive to certain *types* of protein, so your hair might like protein in general but not quinoa protein. Different proteins have different properties, and those properties may or may not work well with your hair. It's a matter of trial and error, unfortunately. You could try a cleanser without protein or else try one with proteins other than quinoa.

Do you think balancing out the cleanser with a protein- free deep conditioner will do the trick?
    You could certainly try it. Deep conditioning is a good way to counteract protein's propensity to dry out the hair.
    Thank you! I'm going to start using a DT and also start clarifying occasionally with a sulfate free shampoo every once in a while to get rid of any buildup making my hair drier. I hope this all goes well!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file