How do you style your hair in Winter?

alanapocalypsealanapocalypse Registered Users Posts: 5
In a few weeks it's going to be too cold for me to air dry my hair, which takes all day(like 8 hours, I never get first day hair unless I go out at night). My hair hates diffusing and is still to short to plop for too long (sticks up, have to rewet the bottom layer to get the hair back down). So what does everyone else do when it's too cold to air dry and you neee a hat to go outside?

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    A big hood is definitely gentler for me than a hat. Some people do try to line a hat with satin or silk to protect their hair. Can you dry your hair overnight? Or perhaps try diffusing with a sock diffuser, which is much gentler and different from a traditional diffuser.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • shalomcurlsshalomcurls Registered Users Posts: 27
    In a few weeks it's going to be too cold for me to air dry my hair, which takes all day(like 8 hours, I never get first day hair unless I go out at night). My hair hates diffusing and is still to short to plop for too long (sticks up, have to rewet the bottom layer to get the hair back down). So what does everyone else do when it's too cold to air dry and you neee a hat to go outside?

I live in Minnesota with really harsh winters and have low porosity so I know that struggle. I used to only airdry for 7 years, but discovering the pixiecurl method of diffusing won me over to the diffusing side. I diffuse for 30 minutes and then it takes about 3-4 more hours to completely dry. Still annoying and cold in the Winter, but at least it's not sopping wet and literally freezing up. What do you mean by your hair hates diffusing? Does it mess up your curl pattern or create too much frizz? Have you tried the Pixiecurl method before?

If my hair is still wet and I have to go outside I bring a hat with, but I don't put it on yet. Usually if I'm leaving the house, it means I'll be driving somewhere. My trick is to point the heat vents in the car right at my hair and put it on low to medium fan speed. I've noticed that the flow of car air vent is a lot gentler than diffusing, so your hair might not hate that! I still have semi-wet hair that doesn't completely dry for several hours, but it's better than 8 more hours!

I just found this AWESOME looking etsy shop called Knits4Knaps that sells satin lined winter headbands for curly girls! https://www.etsy.com/shop/knits4knaps?ref=l2-shop-info-name Maybe this could help you??? It keeps your ears warm but the length of your curls should still be able to finish drying without the curl pattern getting disrupted. I'm thinking of getting one now! :love10: There are also satin lined beanies from BreezyTee's etsy shop if you want something warmer. https://www.etsy.com/shop/BreezyTee/items?section_id=21183550

How does your hair behave when you are under a hood dryer at the salon after a cut? I've seen hard bonnet hooded dryers on amazon with fairly good reviews between $30-$50. I'm thinking about asking for one for my birthday.

These are just a few ideas that I've had for the Winter. I'm looking forward to learning more about what others do in the colder months too!
    2c with some 2b & 3a
    Fine Strands, High Density, Low Porosity
    CG since June 2012
    <<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>
    CLEANSERS: As I Am Coconut Cowash
    CLARIFYING: SM Jamaican Black Castor Oil
    DETANGLER/LI: SM Low Porosity, KCKT
    RINSE OUT: Deva Delight, Suave Naturals
    STYLERS: Jessicurl Spiralicious, KCCC, Deva Supercream
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I too am wondering whether it is your particular diffuser that is causing the problem. Maybe a different style of diffuser would help?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • lindenlinden Registered Users Posts: 6
    As someone who also lives where it gets to be -45º in winter I can relate to not wanting to leave the house with wet locks. If your hair is too short to plop (thus eliminating the possibility of washing it as night and letting it dry while you sleep. Diffusing is definitely the way you have to go.

Is it possible the diffuser or dryer you've used in the past could be why your hair doesn't like it? Not to sound like a broken record, but you need a high quality diffuser and your hair dryer needs to have both a low heat and low air flow option, and ceramic is definitely a plus. I personally use the dryer hair dryer and diffuser and I love it.
    3A Curls | Fine | Frizzy | Colour Treated
    DevaCurl: No Poo, One Condition Original, Light Defining Gel, & Heaven in Hair
    Living in the Extremes ±45ºC
    :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file