All natural disaster and disappointed

EyeAmShanEyeAmShan Registered Users Posts: 22 Curl Neophyte
I have to say that starting this journey in July 2017 was exciting. I embraced my 3a bottecelli curls. I switched to sulfate and silicone free. I started vitamins.

Two months later my hair is thin and flat. No more thick bouncy curls. I have no idea what has happened. I am not sure if it is because hair is longer now or if going natural has caused significant damage resulting in significant hair loss. It's thin, it's no longer full and tigjt curls or bouncy, even after shampooing out and starting a clean slate.

I've spent hundreds on natural products and can finally admit I was caught up with the false advertising and results.

Good luck to you curly girls and I hope you have better luck than me.

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Sorry to hear you're struggling. Your hair looked so gorgeous in the pics you posted. There is a learning curve and it takes most people time to find what works best. Is it possible you still have buildup? Olefin 14-16 sulfonate (or something like that) might be needed to remove some buildup, even after sulfates (sulfates don't remove anything). This can be found int he shampoo Kinky Curly Come Clean. Then you can try chelating with a chelating shampoo or apple cider vinegar.

Also some of your products may be bothering you. There may be certain ingredients that just don't work for you; sulfate/silicone free isn't a guarantee in and of itself. Is your hair thin? It may need protein or a protein treatment to restore curl. My hair needs a protein treatment at least every month I'd say, or my curls get limp.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • EyeAmShanEyeAmShan Registered Users Posts: 22 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for replying. I used Pureology hydrate shampoo to clear the slate.

I have been using As I Am products and have never received the same results as the first time I tried it.

Perhaps I will look at your shampoo recommendation. I thought the whole point of going natural was to avoid the build up. So, if each kind of conditioner causes build up and eventually needs to be shampood, I will go back to the old stuff in which I was using 2x week.

Maybe it's the growth? It has grown half an inch in 2 weeks. Yes...I measure, lol!

I still think I'm going to take a break and let the hair heal from everything. Tha k you for replying. I'd love to see a pic if your hair!
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Wow your hair grows fast. The point of being natural isn't necessarily avoiding buildup; it's avoiding dehydration, which often happens when you're coating with silicones, blocking out water, then sulfates, which dry out the hair further.
    Buildup can happen on any hair, even with no product and water only washing (depending on what's in your water). Hard water requires chelation. Some people's hair is simply more prone to buildup (especially those of us with fine hair).
    I used to post pics of my hair, but since this site started having trouble with that I've never had much luck.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
    That makes sense. I am considering trying a lighter line like Aveda. I probably need to shampoo my hair 2x a week. Who knows...

Here is a link to my hair now which is so disappointing from when I first started this journey.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOs1jt1wnA5pVZ94QhuW73HnmOP1ryaa2fDAoaQ_gJZ_zlpu9XROSkPD5W7ayHtEg/photo/AF1QipPjMYW_ZCtfMVX16s_wJLH-YYAontYpiNX0XhRf?key=cmZacXJWZkFsRGFWR3VLeUhhMTZUdU5Sa09uLWJn
    This is what my hair looked like when I first started using natural products.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lJvoRzcEDF8vXpkF2
  • MorrisonFan91MorrisonFan91 Registered Users Posts: 609 Curl Connoisseur
    Welcome !! I know you're frustrated with your hair right now.
    however,
    recently Pureology added a ton of silicones and polyquats to the Hydrate shampoo and several other of their product lines.
    it now has
    DIVINYLDIMETHICONE/DIMETHICONE COPOLYMER, POLYQUATERNIUM-7, , AMODIMETHICONE, POLYQUATERNIUM-10,

perhaps trying a different shampoo without these, would let you re-try starting fresh ?

silicones leave a gummy chemical reside on our curls & some folks find polyquaternium ingrdedients similarly problematic.
    Hello, I took the advice of many! I ended up using another shampoo and was able to get my bounce back. It is incredible how easily my hair gets weighed down.

I made an appointment with a Deva certified stylist. It is a 2.5 drive from here. I hope to get some great tips and also a great haircut. I am shooting for the long bob.

This crop is growing crazy fast. Thanks all for your input! I'm happy to have the curls back!
    I forgot to add updated picture. The picture on left is hair now. The picture on the right is from when I first started this journey. I have not dyed it but it looks like it. It's just the lighting and time of day I took each pic. I hope to keep growing to middle of my back. Thank you again everyone.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipNHIWcSIb0MGenk3GJXxCc9sF6w6KDwy6koFpEj41EQa-JpaeC81JJcqQxiCoWypg/photo/AF1QipOWMv5hReclu52ju-Z3-DYlq6pZBZkg7FgJaxbB?key=ZWY2VTVnTTQ1UEZFUG8weU43MUhyWmhrYTlEQnVB
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Novice
    Glad to hear that your curls bounced back! For me, the same thing happened when my hair got overconditioned. At first all the conditioner was making my hair look great, then it got too much. I brought it back using protein treatments, and now only use a protein conditioner to keep it balanced.

My hair also grows super fast! It used to grow the same as you (1 inch/month), but now we moved, and idk what’s in our water or something, but it’s growing 2 inches per month (measured). 

Btw, hi @naturecat ! Idk if you remember me from 1 or 2 years ago, lol.

Current Products:

• Nature's Gate Biotin Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file