Help me figure out my hair type please!

LinjinLinjin Registered Users Posts: 1
It's driving me nuts. I'm looking for some new hair products, and in the process, I decided to try to identify my curl type to better match some products to my type of curls. And cue indecisiveness, confusion, and borderline obsession. I've convinced myself of anywhere between 2b through 3b over the past couple of days. My hair varies somewhat day by day dtoday pending on how I slept (I wash at night and air dry overnight) but here are a couple of pics from the past couple of days (please excuse the headset).
IMG_3223.jpg
2vt4arr.jpg

IMG_3193.jpg
vig1fs.jpg

FX that I actually attached those correctly... ETA, I think I messed it up but am trying a different method. Hopefully they aren't massive.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• alysonpaige1998alysonpaige1998 Registered Users Posts: 7
    I say you would be a 3A/B hair type since a lot of curls are tighter than others. There is a texture quiz under "My Curls" and it will take you through a mini quiz that would guide you to your hair type and texture. :)
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    I would say you are a solid 2c. But to figure out the best products and techniques for your hair, you really need to identify the porosity and texture (fine, medium, coarse) of your hair. There is more info in the newbie threads about this.

ETA: Oh right, AlysonPaige mentioned that quiz...totally forgot about that. That should help for the hair properties. :)
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • StephC79StephC79 Registered Users Posts: 99 Curl Connoisseur
    2c maybe 3a.
    3A with tight ringlet underlayer.
    Mixed porosity, medium texture and density.

Cleaner - Shea Moisture fruit fusion shampoo, Maui Moisture curl quench shampoo, cleansing conditioner.
    Conditioner - L'Oreal Botanicals safflower conditioner.
    P/T - Curl Junkie repair me
    D/T - Shea Moisture manuka honey or fruit fusion mask
    Styling - Paul Mitchell round trip, Paul Mitchell super sculpt glaze, Paul Mitchell sculpting foam.
  • shalomcurlsshalomcurls Registered Users Posts: 27
    Linjin wrote: »
    It's driving me nuts. I'm looking for some new hair products, and in the process, I decided to try to identify my curl type to better match some products to my type of curls. And cue indecisiveness, confusion, and borderline obsession. I've convinced myself of anywhere between 2b through 3b over the past couple of days. My hair varies somewhat day by day dtoday pending on how I slept (I wash at night and air dry overnight) but here are a couple of pics from the past couple of days (please excuse the headset).

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Your hair looks fairly similar to mine! Your hair is more curly towards the roots than mine is. I have mainly 2c hair with a 2b underlayer and occassional 3a curls thrown in depending on how I style it. I'd say yours is a mix of both 2c and 3a. Your curl pattern might change as you figure out what it needs. So although you may be 2c/3a right now, you may become more of a 3a in the future.

Just my thoughts! In case you haven't come across this yet, your curl pattern won't tell you as much about what your hair needs as your porosity, density, and thickness properties will. Hope this helps in some small way!
    2c with some 2b & 3a
    Fine Strands, High Density, Low Porosity
    CG since June 2012
    <<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>><<<>>>
    CLEANSERS: As I Am Coconut Cowash
    CLARIFYING: SM Jamaican Black Castor Oil
    DETANGLER/LI: SM Low Porosity, KCKT
    RINSE OUT: Deva Delight, Suave Naturals
    STYLERS: Jessicurl Spiralicious, KCCC, Deva Supercream

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji