To cut or not to cut

joyeuxsljoyeuxsl Posts: 4Registered Users
Hi Curlies,

My name is Ty, I'm 19 and I have an issue. My hair is falling out, and I'm not sure what to do. I've been trying to grow it out, but the front of my hair is breaking (not my edges, but the actual front of my hair) I have a lot of straight strands. When I try to put my hair into a pony tail/bun, the hair in the front doesn't fit and sticks out so I have to gel it down. I haven't trimmed my hair in over a year so I know that's a factor as to why it's breaking. I have low porosity hair and I believe my hair type is a mixture of 4a/4b.

Also, if you think it's wise for me to cut my hair, should I go to a salon that specializes in natural hair? I normally go to a Dominican Salon, but I'm afraid of getting heat damage again and if I do go to a natural salon, I'm not exactly sure what to do with my hair after the cut ( I know I'm a mess)

Thank You for reading and I apologize if this is in the wrong Topic.

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hello! I am not able to advise on whether to cut your hair or not, but I am curious as to whether you have ever done a deep conditioning treatment. Your hair may be breaking because it is not absorbing moisture due to its low porosity.

Another possibility is that your hair needs an oil treatment. An oil treatment, which is done on dry hair, helps with elasticity and can improve problems with breakage. People generally use coconut oil for this, but other oils can be used also (argan, sunflower seed, olive, avocado--but not jojoba).
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hello! I am not able to advise on whether to cut your hair or not, but I am curious as to whether you have ever done a deep conditioning treatment. Your hair may be breaking because it is not absorbing moisture due to its low porosity.

Another possibility is that your hair needs an oil treatment. An oil treatment, which is done on dry hair, helps with elasticity and can improve problems with breakage. People generally use coconut oil for this, but other oils can be used also (argan, sunflower seed, olive, avocado--but not jojoba).
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • joyeuxsljoyeuxsl Posts: 4Registered Users
    Hi! I occasionally do a deep conditioning treatment. I used to do it once a week when I washed my hair, but it became time consuming and I didn't see a difference in my hair.
  • curly-girl-Tycurly-girl-Ty Posts: 3Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Ty! My name is Tyesha, and my friends call me Ty for short! LOL
    Heat damage is a curl's worst nightmare! I did a big chop twice after growing my hair for 3 years straight. I say I will never straighten, but eventually I just want to see how my hair looks with length. But now it's been 2 1/2 years since I straightened, but I recently experienced dramatic shedding after taking down temporary dreads. Worst thing I could have done to my hair! I started doing ayurvedic treatments. They are time consuming, but well worth it! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file