My hair has never grown past my shoulders

LemonteaLemontea Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
All my life I’ve been trying to grow longer hair. I’ve never gotten my hair to reach beyond my shoulders. Ever since I was a kid I’ve only gotten bare-minimum trims. Usually it just barely reaches my shoulders and then it starts breaking and I have to trim, and it’s back the way it started. I have gone through periods where I tried trimming often and I have gone through periods where I tried trimming not as often – and both have given me the same “short hair results”.

My hair is super, super fine and very, very low density…I do not have very much hair. My curl type is 3b. Is it just not able to grow because of these combination of factors? I know my hair is really fragile… I do not heat style ever – I never use heat tools or a blow dryer. I’m as careful as I can be with my hair since I know it’s super prone to breakage. But I’m starting to wonder if my hair is just unable to grow because it has still never grown no matter what I do.

Is there a way to strengthen my hair so it finally grows? Or is this just the way my hair is?

Comments

• NatrulyMeNatrulyMe Posts: 165Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi, Lemontea.
    I can understand your frustration. Questions. Have you ever done a protein treatment? If not, maybe you should try doing a protein treatment every two months months (being you are low in porosity). How often do you trim? The reason why I asked is because sometimes it may be too soon to trim. e.g. I trim every six months and or search and destroy single strand knots. I say, if it is not broken, don't try to fix it! If you are balancing your protein and moisture in your routine--I do not see what will possibly slow your growing process unless it is genetic? Try changing up your products and or regimen to see maybe it is something your hair do not like. Overall, it may not be anything you are doing wrong to your hair. It could be growing at a slower pace than others? Do not give up! Good luck.

Pattern: 3C/4A 
    Characteristics: (Spongy/Coarse/Curly Kinky)
    Porosity: High
    Density: Medium
    Hair Width: Medium Sized Strands
    Elasticity: Medium Elasticity

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL

My hair is armpit length when silk pressed (so close to BSL).
    Natural state: awkward stage; shoulder length (front is above chin length and back is almost shoulder length).
    Goal: MBL
    10-28-15 (BC Date)

• LemonteaLemontea Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    NatrulyMe wrote: »
    Hi, Lemontea.
    I can understand your frustration. Questions. Have you ever done a protein treatment? If not, maybe you should try doing a protein treatment every two months months (being you are low in porosity). How often do you trim? The reason why I asked is because sometimes it may be too soon to trim. e.g. I trim every six months and or search and destroy single strand knots. I say, if it is not broken, don't try to fix it! If you are balancing your protein and moisture in your routine--I do not see what will possibly slow your growing process unless it is genetic? Try changing up your products and or regimen to see maybe it is something your hair do not like. Overall, it may not be anything you are doing wrong to your hair. It could be growing at a slower pace than others? Do not give up! Good luck.

Hi NatrulyMe,
    Thank you for your response. I have never tried to search and cut off all my knots, but that's a really good idea, I get those all the time and that's when my hair starts snapping and breaking. I think that's the number one reason my hair hasn't grown :cry:- it gets so nightmarishly tangled and knotted. When I go for a trim, it's literally past the point of no return. :neutral: This last trim, I hadn't gone for over a year, so it was pretty awful - maybe if I had cut off my little knots sooner, not as much would have needed to be taken off..

I also haven't tried the protein treatment. Is it safe to use on fine breakable hair? I heard it was very drying. I would love to try it.

I sometimes feel very "stuck" lol because of my hair. I would love to try other styles, like wear clip extensions but it would break, or occasionally straighten it, but I've never been able to get it right without frying it. I can't protective style it because my hair is too thin and short and I have an odd shaped head that I can't pull my hair tight. Sorry, a little rant, sigh :/ Guess I just need to make the most of this length :)

I'm going to try the two things you mentioned, thank you for your advice!
  • NatrulyMeNatrulyMe Posts: 165Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You are welcome. :smile:

Yes, searching for single strand knots helps (including trimming once or twice a year). Fine hair needs a balance of protein and moisturize treatment too (all type does). However, those with low porosity hair trends to do a protein treatment less than others with high porosity (low porosity does a protein treatment every 2 -4 months). As far as your hair feeling stiff after a protein treatment, you should always follow up doing a deep condition (make sure you put a plastic cap on your head with the conditioner for 20-30 mins). This way, your hair feels soft and moisturize. Try this for a few months and see if you can tell the difference (deep conditioner your hair once a week and do a protein treatment every 3 months). BTW, castor oil helps with hair growth, but you should mix it with other oils such as peppermint, extra virgin olive and or Jojoba oils (any oil of your choice).

The info on this thread may help you. It is worth a look:

Naturally Curly Hair Routine & Regimen 101 for Newly Naturals

https://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/183114-naturally-curly-hair-routine-regimen-101-newly-naturals-2.html

Pattern: 3C/4A 
    Characteristics: (Spongy/Coarse/Curly Kinky)
    Porosity: High
    Density: Medium
    Hair Width: Medium Sized Strands
    Elasticity: Medium Elasticity

SL - APL - BSL - MBL - WL - TBL

My hair is armpit length when silk pressed (so close to BSL).
    Natural state: awkward stage; shoulder length (front is above chin length and back is almost shoulder length).
    Goal: MBL
    10-28-15 (BC Date)

• curly-girl-Tycurly-girl-Ty Posts: 3Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Lemontea!

Have you ever tried Nature's Bounty hair vitamins? The chewable strawberry gummies tastes so good, and they truly work. I had a bald spot after taking down extensions, and I started taking the gummies for about 3 months and it started filling in and even the other parts of my hair started growing in thicker. I noticed that you have to keep taking them though. I stopped and noticed a dramatic differnce. But once I started again, my hair started feeling thicker again. I thought I'd share. I know a lot of ladies that love these hair vitamins over others. Biotin breaks me out and makes my hair sheed bad, but these gummies work great for me.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't have any helpful suggestions, but you might be able to get some advice from the Long Hair Forum. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    You have some very good advice here, Lemontea. From my own experience, hair that doesn't seem to be growing may have something to do with diet. While we need to do all we can externally to keep the hair healthy, I have learned that what we eat plays a significant  roll in hair health, also. While searching for answers as to why my hair was shedding faster than it was growing I found out that my diet was lacking in many ways. Some changes were implemented and there are improvements. The shedding has stopped and new growth is visible.

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• ellajellaj Posts: 826Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Therese1 said:
    I don't have any helpful suggestions, but you might be able to get some advice from the Long Hair Forum. 
    Hi, Therese1. What is the Long Hair Forum? 

Type: 2c
    Density: medium
    Porosity: high
    Thickness: fine

• AddeeAddee Posts: 412Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I think your hair is growing but it's breaking about the same rate. There could be lots of reasons so you really have to examine your entire routine. For example, you didn't talk about moisturizing your hair. If you are low porosity you can get great benefit from using heat during deep conditioning. What kind of pillowcase do you sleep on? Do you seal the ends of your hair to protect them when rubbing against clothes and jackets?

But I do agree that nutrition can affect the growth rate because I notice a difference when I eat regularly eat certain foods like kale, quinoa.

Forget what hurt you, but never forget what it taught you.
  • Vicky-212Vicky-212 Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I realise this is a very old post now but it sounds like you may have anagen syndrome. There are two forms of it short (anagen syndrome) and loose (anagen syndrome). Have a look into them and see if they explain things for you. It sounds like based on your symptoms though that it may be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file