New to natural hair- I need help!!

Kelani48Kelani48 Registered Users Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
Hi
I'm Kelani and I just started wearing my hair curly, or caring about it anyway. I'm 17 now but before the age of 15 I always wore my hair straightened. I never relaxed it, but in middle school especially I did so much heat damage to it. From 15 till now anytime that I wore my hair natural I always just threw it in a bun because I was scared of what other people would think about my hair. So I didn't really care about my hair, I didn't go out of my way to make sure it was healthy. Now i've become a little confident and I'm starting to wear my hair curly to school and in public. I literally started 5 days ago. There's so much to learn and know and I'm just overwhelmed. I don't know what routine to follow, what products to use or anything. I want my hair to be really healthy. I have 3c hair I think. I also know that I have high porosity hair. Another thing is that I don't want to use products that contain animal products or that are tested on animals so that makes it more of a challenge since there are always hidden ingredients like glycerin and all that. If anyone could help me I would appreciate it so so much! :love7:

Comments

• baeby_dollbaeby_doll Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 15 Curl Novice
    HELLO DANCING QUEEN (young and sweet only seventeeeeeen)!!!! 
    Do you know your curl type, porosity, and density? 

• Me and my CurlsMe and my Curls Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 5 Curl Neophyte
    Hi! I’m a little new to natural myself but I’ve always been exposed to natural and had very minimal heat added. I suggest that after you find your hair type, you use repairing products even if your hair isn’t too damaged you still need to transition. Good luck!!
  • Kawaii_girlKawaii_girl Registered Users Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    Hi I am around your age as well so I have some advice as someone who stopped straightening her hair 3 months ago. One congrats I know its hard going from getting your hair straightened to its curly state. I’m telling you right now it takes time to achieve the curl you want. I also never permed my hair just straightened for 15 years. I recommend washing, conditioning and DEEP Codnitioning ASAP! Deep Conditioning is one of the most important things to do when you first start out. Honestly do this and apply a good moisturizer and just let you hair take a minute because it still thinks its going to be flat ironed so it will not be curly all the time or it’ll be frizz more than curl. So just to make a list 
    1. No heat! 
    2. Deep Condtion (I recommend once a week)
    3. Moisturizer 
    4. Let your hair breathe
    I would give you a timeline to when your hair will be completely curly but I haven’t even gotten their LOL. Hope you stay on the curly route its small little changes that make you happier still. 
    If you want more advice comment on my post.
  • bomegabomega Registered Users Posts: 1,355 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi @Kelani48, How is it going? Hope your natural hair care routine is working out for you.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
    Hi I am around your age as well so I have some advice as someone who stopped straightening her hair 3 months ago. One congrats I know its hard going from getting your hair straightened to its curly state. I’m telling you right now it takes time to achieve the curl you want. I also never permed my hair just straightened for 15 years. I recommend washing, conditioning and DEEP Codnitioning ASAP! Deep Conditioning is one of the most important things to do when you first start out. Honestly do this and apply a good moisturizer and just let you hair take a minute because it still thinks its going to be flat ironed so it will not be curly all the time or it’ll be frizz more than curl. So just to make a list 
    1. No heat! 
    3. Moisturizer 
    4. Let your hair breathe
    I would give you a timeline to when your hair will be completely curly but I haven’t even gotten their LOL. Hope you stay on the curly route its small little changes that make you happier still. 
    1. No heat! 
    3. Moisturizer 
    4. Let your hair breathe

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file