Dupe Products for Devacurl?

DinaelizDinaeliz Registered Users Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
Hello everyone!

Newly discovered 2a-2b (fine, regular porosity) with the help of a magician Devacurl stylist last week! Who knew?! After 46 years of thinking I had straight hair I am rocking a dry haircut, playing with Bantu knots and plopping, and feeling literally like a new person.

I of course went hog wild on all the Devacurl products. They mostly work well for me, but I am concerned about the VERY pricey nature of this line. Looking for cheaper but equally good substitutes that will work well on my hair type for:

Lo-Poo Shampoo
One Condition Delight
B'Leave in Conditioner
Set It Free Spray
Mister Right Spray
Wavemaker (I think I may have found this in KCCC, though)

... and whatever holding spray you 2a-2b fine haired folks love.

Suggestions?

Thanks for helping out a new Wavie!

Comments

• countrygurlcountrygurl Registered Users Posts: 32 Curl Neophyte
    I enjoy cantu define and shine custard, OGX argan creamy hair butter, cantu leave in cream and garnier touchable hairspray. Ive never used Devacurl products bc the price. But I enjoy these and budget friendly. I am 2b , also. I apply to soaking wet hair, and small amount of product
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    DevaCurl uses some unique ingredient combos that make it easy to tell it's a DevaCurl product by just reading the ingredient list, such as hops & rosemary. So it's going to be hard to find 1:1 matches.

But, there are a lot of other great curly lines with lower price points.  I think if you look at them as product types, it makes it easier to find something new.  For example

Lo-Poo Shampoo - look for a shampoo with gentle sulfates/cleansing agents and moisturizing ingredients
    One Condition Delight - look for a light weight conditioner
    suggestion: Not Your Mothers Naturals purple, light blue, or dark blue conditioner
    B'Leave in Conditioner - look for a light weight conditioner 
    suggestion: Kinky Curly's Knot Today
    Set It Free Spray - look for a moisturizing/setting spray
    Mister Right Spray - look for a refreshing spray
    Wavemaker - look for a light weight curl enhancer

Do you use a gel over Wavemaker at all?  KCCC is an actual gel so it is going to have more hold than the Wavemaker.   

A really popular technique in the curly girl community is to not rinse out your conditioner all the way so it acts as a leave in, or add it water down to non-soaking wet hair.   Leave-In conditioners are a bit of a marketing gimmick.  

The brands that that call out to me as having great products but affordable price points are Kinky Curly (which you are already looking at), Not Your Mother's Naturals, Camille Rose naturals, Curls, & Cantu.  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    (Grumbles to self, "but I like leave ins")
    There is a dupe called Lovely Curls at Harmon's Face Values (I don't know that store though). I can't say it functions the same. I do know die hard Deva fans claim it doesn't, but considering the source...
    I do realize this is an old unanswered thread, but I want a Deva curl dupe too.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    BrittanyM said:
    (Grumbles to self, "but I like leave ins")

I should change my messaging.  I think you can defiantly like a different product better as a leave in than your conditioner!   I want to get the point across, especially when cost is a factor, that a product marked as a leave in aren't automatically the better choice. 

Next Judge a Product topic! 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    No, I understand your point completely. I was just joking. I prefer my leave in to rinsing out a conditioner because for my hair, the leave in is a bit more foolproof. I can use too much with little detriment. The rinsing out conditioner is a more of a balancing act. Too much rinsing, not enough moisture. Not rinsing out enough, weighed down hair.
    But you are right on your point. Leave ins tend to be more watered down and not as heavy.
    BrittanyM said:
    No, I understand your point completely. I was just joking. I prefer my leave in to rinsing out a conditioner because for my hair, the leave in is a bit more foolproof. I can use too much with little detriment. The rinsing out conditioner is a more of a balancing act. Too much rinsing, not enough moisture. Not rinsing out enough, weighed down hair.
    But you are right on your point. Leave ins tend to be more watered down and not as heavy.
    100% with you on the control!   I do prefer actual leave-ins for that as well.  I've been learning how to tell how much is left in my hair, but it's  time consuming.  So I have a bottle of leave in for days I'm just not in the mood and DC day (It seems like a waste of conditioner to deep condition, rinse out, put in more conditioner and rinse out).

Also -- if your hair needs something more hydrating than moisturizing (like mine in the summer), I don't think any RO conditioner can do what leave in's like KCKT can

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file