Help! Got highlights and lost my curls

Curlygirl9171Curlygirl9171 Registered Users Posts: 1
Back in June I got highlights and my hairdresser used a toner on my thick 3a hair. Since then I've lost the curls on the sides but not the back. My hair now looks dry and damaged with no curls at all.
How can I fix this?

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried doing a protein treatment? You can either buy a dedicated protein treatment or else buy a protein-rich conditioner and leave it on your hair for, say, 20 minutes. Protein-rich conditioners are often labled "repairing" or something similar.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • HederaHelixHederaHelix Registered Users Posts: 3
    Sounds like the chemicals damaged your hair. You'll need to deep condition those areas weekly. An occasional hot oil treatment may help and it's possible that a protein or repairing treatment may be needed as well. Your hair may yet bounce back depending on how extensive the damage is.

I learned the hard way that I absolutely cannot color my hair. My 3a canopy (I was covering silver hairs) became a 2a/b canopy when I got highlights done. The stylist overprocessed my hair and I was devastated.

I grew my hair out for one year and had almost 8 inches of new growth. Then I had to do a big chop. My hair was below BSL and now it doesn't touch my shoulders.

I still have straight bits throughout the canopy from heat damage, but that is recovering. No more blowing out my hair straight either! I had to do it a lot more than I would have liked, but those bits that were fried straight absolutely would not curl any more, so it was either straighten it all or curl the straight bits.

I will just patiently keep cutting the ends until all the heat damaged parts are gone. The good news is that my roots are 3A so I know I have my hair back eventually. It's just gonna be a few years until it's long again.

Good luck to you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file