CurlTalk

Can you be high porosity but still be sensitive to coconut oil?

TeresinaTeresina Posts: 291Registered Users
I'm pretty sure my hair is high porosity. I didn't do the test where you put your hair in water to see if it floats or sinks. Instead, I just ran my fingers up the shaft of a few of my hair strands and it feels bumpy, not smooth, when I run my fingers up the strand. Also, my hair gets wet fairly quick in the shower and it also dries fairly quickly when there is no product in it. So, I'm thinking that all points to high porosity.

My hair is also coarse and very dense. I was told by a Deva stylist once that coarse hair does not like coconut oil. But, I thought coconut oil acts like a protein and porous hair is supposed to like protein. So...my question is...can I be highly porous and sensitive to proteins? I'd like to try some new products but so many of them contain coconut oil as an ingredient and I don't want to mess up my hair. I'm just wondering if the coconut oil in a conditioner and/or oils and creams would act the same as other proteins.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Teresina
3b/3c/4a coarse, high porosity

Comments

• Curls80Curls80 Posts: 499Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Teresina wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure my hair is high porosity. I didn't do the test where you put your hair in water to see if it floats or sinks. Instead, I just ran my fingers up the shaft of a few of my hair strands and it feels bumpy, not smooth, when I run my fingers up the strand. Also, my hair gets wet fairly quick in the shower and it also dries fairly quickly when there is no product in it. So, I'm thinking that all points to high porosity.

My hair is also coarse and very dense. I was told by a Deva stylist once that coarse hair does not like coconut oil. But, I thought coconut oil acts like a protein and porous hair is supposed to like protein. So...my question is...can I be highly porous and sensitive to proteins? I'd like to try some new products but so many of them contain coconut oil as an ingredient and I don't want to mess up my hair. I'm just wondering if the coconut oil in a conditioner and/or oils and creams would act the same as other proteins.

First, yesterday that sounds absolutely like high porosity. My hair dries so quickly and also takes on water quickly. Those are clear indicators of high porosity. Behaviour of hair tells you so much.

Yes, it is possible to be coarse and porous. I have mainly coarse hair and I'm highly porous. I had my hair analyzed and although I knew my hair was porous I didn't know how coarse it was.

It's a balancing act. You don't need protein because your hair is coarse (coarse hair has enough protein), but you need some protein because you're porous.

And yes coconut oil will bind that protein to your hair. I use coconut oil judiciously- if I use it I combine it with other oils. I think as an ingredient in conditioners, I'd still use them but I'd alternate. Or it depends on how high up on the list coconut is.

I was also told that certain proteins may work better on my hair than others. It's experimenting unfortunately lol
    3a/3b high porosity, mainly coarse, medium density
    Live in Canada- hot summers, freezing winters- dry dry dry
    As I am cleansing pudding, soultanicals deep condish, curl junkie Argan and olive oil conditioner, soultanicals leave in
    KCCC, curlsmith soufflé, ufdcm, spiralicious, as I am curling jelly
    Scrunch with hair repear towel, then diffuse or air
    Protein- CJ Repair Me
  • NatrulyMeNatrulyMe Posts: 110Registered Users
    Teresina wrote: »

I think it all depends on rather or not you are allergic to coconuts? Also, how your hair behaves when using a coconut product(s)? I have high porosity myself, so when my hair tends to get dry, frizzy and tangly I have to maintain a balance with a moisturize and protein treatments. Do you have a daily hair spritz? Study shows that coconut oil can help reduce the protein loss from hair when used pre-wash or in a post-wash grooming product. This is great, as protein is what gives the hair its strength and structure. But too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Adding a daily spritz (aloe vera with distilled water in an applicator bottle) may help.

Here a link for more info (sharing):

Why Coconut Oil May Not Work For Every Hair Type - hair buddha
    mbfzIwAt.gif

Pattern: 3C
    Porosity: High
    Density: Medium
    Hair Width: Medium Sized Strands
    Elasticity: Medium Elasticity

pa2Km4.png
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 1,715Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you go to the Science-y Hair Blog, there is a recipe for an oil blend to use on the hair. The author of the blog said that even if coconut oil by itself causes your hair to become crispy, blending coconut oil with other oils will make it more suitable for the hair. Her recipe uses three different oils, I think.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: As I Am; CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel
    Normal- to low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • TeresinaTeresina Posts: 291Registered Users
    Thank you for your reply! I guess I'm going to have to experiment (which I'm kind of scared to do LOL).
    Teresina
    Thank you all for your suggestions and information. I appreciate it. :)
    Teresina
    I used this as my leave-in, with Aussie Instant Freeze gel, when I did my wash and go. It was great for the first few days but I needed to touch it up today and sprayed my hair with water and then smoothed in some more of the Legendary Olive Oil in my frizzy spots and by the end of the day my hair looks like hay! Granted, it's extremely humid here today but I'm wondering if the mineral oil in it is the culprit. I'm thinking it may be acting like coconut oil? Thoughts???

Thanks.
    Teresina